FTP Connection Delays - Redhat

This is a discussion on FTP Connection Delays - Redhat ; What's happening between the time an ftp client on a RH 7.3 machine connects to the ftp server on another RH machine (RH 7.2/9.0) and the login prompt? I'm getting an instant tcp connection established on port 21, but when ...

  1. FTP Connection Delays

    What's happening between the time an ftp client on a RH 7.3 machine
    connects to the ftp server on another RH machine (RH 7.2/9.0) and the
    login prompt? I'm getting an instant tcp connection established on port
    21, but when I connect to some machines there is about a 20-30 second
    delay before I get the login prompt, and on others the login prompt
    comes up within a second or so.

    The object of the question is to debug the process on the host machine
    with the delay (assuming that's where the problem is) to eliminate the
    delay. I'm connecting using ip addresses not host names, and reverse dns
    lookup on the initiating machine comes back with an instant response for
    all ips.

    Any hints or references will be appreciated.

    John K.

  2. Re: FTP Connection Delays

    John V. Kjellman wrote:
    > What's happening between the time an ftp client on a RH 7.3 machine
    > connects to the ftp server on another RH machine (RH 7.2/9.0) and the
    > login prompt? I'm getting an instant tcp connection established on port
    > 21, but when I connect to some machines there is about a 20-30 second
    > delay before I get the login prompt, and on others the login prompt
    > comes up within a second or so.
    >
    > The object of the question is to debug the process on the host machine
    > with the delay (assuming that's where the problem is) to eliminate the
    > delay. I'm connecting using ip addresses not host names, and reverse dns
    > lookup on the initiating machine comes back with an instant response for
    > all ips.
    >
    > Any hints or references will be appreciated.
    >
    > John K.

    John,

    Does de user that connects to the ftp server exist on the client in all
    cases?

    Default the wu-ftpd wants to do a reverse check of the user.

    Regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  3. Re: FTP Connection Delays

    On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:05:19 -0400, John V. Kjellman mumbled something
    like this:

    > What's happening between the time an ftp client on a RH 7.3 machine
    > connects to the ftp server on another RH machine (RH 7.2/9.0) and the
    > login prompt? I'm getting an instant tcp connection established on port
    > 21, but when I connect to some machines there is about a 20-30 second
    > delay before I get the login prompt, and on others the login prompt comes
    > up within a second or so.
    >
    > The object of the question is to debug the process on the host machine
    > with the delay (assuming that's where the problem is) to eliminate the
    > delay. I'm connecting using ip addresses not host names, and reverse dns
    > lookup on the initiating machine comes back with an instant response for
    > all ips.
    >
    > Any hints or references will be appreciated.
    >
    > John K.

    Not all systems run an ident/auth server(port 113). The ones that log in
    quickly will be responding to auth requests from your machine. The ones
    where you take a few seconds to log in will be systems that don't allow
    auth requests, so the login does not proceed until the auth request times
    out.

    --
    Rinso
    /\

  4. Re: FTP Connection Delays

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
    > John V. Kjellman wrote:
    >
    >> What's happening between the time an ftp client on a RH 7.3 machine
    >> connects to the ftp server on another RH machine (RH 7.2/9.0) and the
    >> login prompt? I'm getting an instant tcp connection established on
    >> port 21, but when I connect to some machines there is about a 20-30
    >> second delay before I get the login prompt, and on others the login
    >> prompt comes up within a second or so.
    >>
    >> The object of the question is to debug the process on the host
    >> machine with the delay (assuming that's where the problem is) to
    >> eliminate the delay. I'm connecting using ip addresses not host names,
    >> and reverse dns lookup on the initiating machine comes back with an
    >> instant response for all ips.
    >>
    >> Any hints or references will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> John K.

    > John,
    >

    > Does de user that connects to the ftp server exist on the client in all
    > cases?
    >
    > Default the wu-ftpd wants to do a reverse check of the user.
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit

    Yes, the user originating the connection exists on all machines being
    tested. And, the delay is before the login prompt (about 33 seconds),
    so unless it is checking the user name being passed during the initial
    connection (as opposed to the user name that is going to login), then
    that couldn't be the problem. But, the two names are the same in any
    event in my test cases (the name originating the connection is name that
    will -- after the 33 second delay -- login to the host ftp server).

    Thanks for the reply
    John K

  5. Re: FTP Connection Delays

    Rincewind wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:05:19 -0400, John V. Kjellman mumbled something
    > like this:
    >

    >>What's happening between the time an ftp client on a RH 7.3 machine
    >>connects to the ftp server on another RH machine (RH 7.2/9.0) and the
    >>login prompt? I'm getting an instant tcp connection established on port
    >> 21, but when I connect to some machines there is about a 20-30 second
    >>delay before I get the login prompt, and on others the login prompt comes
    >>up within a second or so.
    >>
    >>The object of the question is to debug the process on the host machine
    >>with the delay (assuming that's where the problem is) to eliminate the
    >>delay. I'm connecting using ip addresses not host names, and reverse dns
    >>lookup on the initiating machine comes back with an instant response for
    >>all ips.
    >>
    >>Any hints or references will be appreciated.
    >>
    >>John K.

    > Not all systems run an ident/auth server(port 113). The ones that log in
    > quickly will be responding to auth requests from your machine. The ones
    > where you take a few seconds to log in will be systems that don't allow
    > auth requests, so the login does not proceed until the auth request times
    > out.

    Thanks for the reply. What ident/auth goes on BEFORE the login prompt
    "(Name {name-passed-from-client)):"? I have a 33 second delay before I
    see the prompt for user name, which is then quickly followed by the
    prompt for the password. As soon as the user name prompt comes up,
    everything proceeds promptly. If I give a valid user name/password I'm
    in, if not, I'm quickly rejected. It what's going on during the 33
    seconds BETWEEN the time the connection is ESTABLISHED and the login
    prompt that I'm struggling with.

    For whatever it's worth, none of the systems I'm testing answer up on
    port 113, all immediately reject port 113 connection attempts (the
    system with the delay (LINUX), and the others (LINUX and WINDOWS)
    without the delay.

    John K

+ Reply to Thread