how to fix fedora wrong resolution? - Redhat

This is a discussion on how to fix fedora wrong resolution? - Redhat ; I think I picked a display resolution too high (or refresh too fast) for the CRT while installing fedora. Now it boots up half way and then no more video signal. How do I fix this without reinstalling from scratch? ...

  1. how to fix fedora wrong resolution?

    I think I picked a display resolution too high (or refresh too fast) for the
    CRT while installing fedora. Now it boots up half way and then no more video
    signal. How do I fix this without reinstalling from scratch?

    I tried the interactive boot, but pressing 'I' (I tried both lower case and
    capital) doesn't seem to do much, other than echoing the key on screen,
    although it seems to display a few lines more about loading what component
    than before.

  2. Re: how to fix fedora wrong resolution?

    peter wrote:
    > I think I picked a display resolution too high (or refresh too fast) for the
    > CRT while installing fedora. Now it boots up half way and then no more video
    > signal. How do I fix this without reinstalling from scratch?
    >
    > I tried the interactive boot, but pressing 'I' (I tried both lower case and
    > capital) doesn't seem to do much, other than echoing the key on screen,
    > although it seems to display a few lines more about loading what component
    > than before.

    from the command line ...edit:

    etc/X11/XConfig86

    try reducing your default depth and resolution

  3. Re: how to fix fedora wrong resolution?

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway nospam@nospam.com typed:
    > I think I picked a display resolution too high (or refresh too fast) for the
    > CRT while installing fedora. Now it boots up half way and then no more video
    > signal. How do I fix this without reinstalling from scratch?
    >
    > I tried the interactive boot, but pressing 'I' (I tried both lower case and
    > capital) doesn't seem to do much, other than echoing the key on screen,
    > although it seems to display a few lines more about loading what component
    > than before.

    Boot with a rescue cd, change the runlevel in inittab to 3,
    reboot and delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
    Do init 5 and it should take you through a reconfig for
    the monitor. (I think this is what I did when I got mine wrong.)

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)

  4. Re: how to fix fedora wrong resolution?

    Trog Woolley wrote:

    > While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway
    > nospam@nospam.com typed:
    >> I think I picked a display resolution too high (or refresh too fast) for
    >> the CRT while installing fedora. Now it boots up half way and then no
    >> more video signal. How do I fix this without reinstalling from scratch?
    >>
    >> I tried the interactive boot, but pressing 'I' (I tried both lower case
    >> and capital) doesn't seem to do much, other than echoing the key on
    >> screen, although it seems to display a few lines more about loading what
    >> component than before.

    > Boot with a rescue cd, change the runlevel in inittab to 3,
    > reboot and delete the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.
    > Do init 5 and it should take you through a reconfig for
    > the monitor. (I think this is what I did when I got mine wrong.)

    Use system-config-display if you installed fc2 3 or 4 fc1 it is still called
    someting like redhat-config-xf86. Use the tab key to get the possibilities
    and go from there. You shouldn't even need to use the rescue cd just go to
    a tty and make the changes there, if you delete the xorg.conf or the
    xf86cfg file then xwindows will sit at the prompt until you make the new
    config file. Then go to tty7 and ctrl-alt-backspace. Switch back to your
    previous tty and type kdm if you are using kde and gdm if gnome.

    --

+ Reply to Thread