"Resolving host..."??? - Redhat

This is a discussion on "Resolving host..."??? - Redhat ; Just installed RedHat 9.0 with updates and everything works just fine, except when I try to visit a new page, it says "Resolving host" and then the URL to the page. And then it just hangs. What does this mean ...

  1. "Resolving host..."???

    Just installed RedHat 9.0 with updates and everything works just fine,
    except when I try to visit a new page, it says "Resolving host" and then
    the URL to the page. And then it just hangs. What does this mean and
    what do I do about it? (Its in Mozilla web browser.)

  2. Re: "Resolving host..."???

    Johan Engblom wrote:

    > Just installed RedHat 9.0 with updates and everything works just fine,
    > except when I try to visit a new page, it says "Resolving host" and
    > then the URL to the page. And then it just hangs. What does this mean
    > and what do I do about it? (Its in Mozilla web browser.)

    Apparently the required DNS information to access the Internet is not
    available for use. Unfortunately you have not provided enough
    information to offer any thing other then a 'stab-in-the-dark' to help
    you resolve this issue, please read;

    FYI: Red Hat Linux 9 is a bit old and has not been supported (by Red
    Hat) for over a year, please consider installing something that is
    still actively supported like Fedora Core 3/4 (staying with the Red Hat
    Linux family); http://fedora.redhat.com/

  3. Re: "Resolving host..."???

    On 2005-08-15, Johan Engblom wrote:
    > Just installed RedHat 9.0 with updates and everything works just fine,
    > except when I try to visit a new page, it says "Resolving host" and then
    > the URL to the page. And then it just hangs. What does this mean and
    > what do I do about it? (Its in Mozilla web browser.)

    Well, can you resolve hosts?
    For example, what does the command:

    host www.nytimes.com

    produce (when you have logged onto your network)?

    Have you got nameservers listed in your /etc/resolv.conf
    file? Are they, for some reason, blocked?

+ Reply to Thread