newbie questions starting out. seting network, 2 machines and internetsharing, samba, etc.. - Redhat

This is a discussion on newbie questions starting out. seting network, 2 machines and internetsharing, samba, etc.. - Redhat ; Hi; I have 2 computers, laptop running XP Pro, and main Tower running 2 hard drives. The main tower is my problem. I have 2 Hard drives. win XP on second drive 250 gig, Fedora core 4 on main drive ...

  1. newbie questions starting out. seting network, 2 machines and internetsharing, samba, etc..

    Hi;

    I have 2 computers, laptop running XP Pro, and
    main Tower running 2 hard drives.

    The main tower is my problem.

    I have 2 Hard drives. win XP on second drive 250 gig,
    Fedora core 4 on main drive 130gig. Bios is able to change
    boot order, but thats a thing as Grub is now able
    to boot to either os.

    My first issue is what things do I need to setup
    and in what order to fill the following needs.

    Tower is going to be the internet connection,
    so I need to be able to allow the windows equivalent
    of internet sharing.

    I also want to be able to access the windows drive on the
    Tower from other machines on the network. ie Laptop.
    From what I gather Samba is the program here.
    The Windows drive is partitioned as NTFS c: and Fat32 d:

    And I want Linux to be able to "take over" the laptop,
    the equivalent of windows remote desktop.

    So my questions are.

    1. What is the best install of Fedora 4 to easily achieve
    all this options. Workstation / Server .....

    2. Can I do Workstation and then add the relevant programs.

    3. Do I need to run NIS (what is it.)

    4. DHCP. The Tower is going to be the DHCP server as well,
    does it have to have the network card setup with its own
    ip address on bootup, or is it able to be setup with
    a DHCP address from the DHCP server.

    5. What other programs do I need to install, and in what order.

    6. What is/are some good books/internet sites, that will
    help understand all the above.

    I feel the network is my biggest issue, getting that running
    properly I think is the key to all the above. The network is
    all cables, initially there are only 2 machines Tower & Laptop,
    they are connected via a cross over cable, (just whilst setting
    all up) then it will run through a network box, allowing other
    machines to connect to network and Internet.

    Trevor..

  2. Re: newbie questions starting out. seting network, 2 machines and internet sharing, samba, etc..

    Trevor wrote:

    > Hi;
    >
    > I have 2 computers, laptop running XP Pro, and
    > main Tower running 2 hard drives.
    >
    > The main tower is my problem.
    >
    > I have 2 Hard drives. win XP on second drive 250 gig,
    > Fedora core 4 on main drive 130gig. Bios is able to change
    > boot order, but thats a thing as Grub is now able
    > to boot to either os.
    >
    > My first issue is what things do I need to setup
    > and in what order to fill the following needs.
    >
    > Tower is going to be the internet connection,
    > so I need to be able to allow the windows equivalent
    > of internet sharing.
    >
    > I also want to be able to access the windows drive on the
    > Tower from other machines on the network. ie Laptop.
    > From what I gather Samba is the program here.
    > The Windows drive is partitioned as NTFS c: and Fat32 d:
    >
    > And I want Linux to be able to "take over" the laptop,
    > the equivalent of windows remote desktop.
    >
    > So my questions are.
    >
    > 1. What is the best install of Fedora 4 to easily achieve
    > all this options. Workstation / Server .....

    Simplest to choose "server" now. Read a few howtos

    > 2. Can I do Workstation and then add the relevant programs.

    Yep.

    > 3. Do I need to run NIS (what is it.)
    >
    > 4. DHCP. The Tower is going to be the DHCP server as well,
    > does it have to have the network card setup with its own
    > ip address on bootup, or is it able to be setup with
    > a DHCP address from the DHCP server.

    The latter

    > 5. What other programs do I need to install, and in what order.

    You'll need "route", "iptables","Bind", & I recommend "shorewall" (google
    it) if you want a NAT router.

    > 6. What is/are some good books/internet sites, that will
    > help understand all the above.

    Google

    > I feel the network is my biggest issue, getting that running
    > properly I think is the key to all the above. The network is
    > all cables, initially there are only 2 machines Tower & Laptop,
    > they are connected via a cross over cable, (just whilst setting
    > all up) then it will run through a network box, allowing other
    > machines to connect to network and Internet.
    >
    > Trevor..

  3. Re: newbie questions starting out. seting network, 2 machines andinternet sharing, samba, etc..

    Will try and help with what I know.

    Trevor wrote:
    > Tower is going to be the internet connection,
    > so I need to be able to allow the windows equivalent
    > of internet sharing.

    2 points. First if you are using a broadband connection. The type that
    runs from an ethernet connection, the Tower will need 2 ethernet cards.
    One for the internal network(LAN) the other for internet connectivity.
    This is not hard to set up in either XP or Linux. The card for
    internal(eth0) needs to have a private range IP address that is
    static(192.168.1.xxx), the external card(eth1) needs to be set for a
    dynamic IP(DHCP). XP does internet sharing built in. Linux does as well
    with IPchains and the like. Firestarter is a good GUI interface to set
    that up in Linux though.

    The laptop can obtain from the tower. But you will need to set up the
    Linux and Windows partitions to use the same IP range for DHCP( not sure
    if you HAVE to, but it keeps it easy to write down network configs).
    Though I am not sure if XP has a DHCP service integral or not.

    > I also want to be able to access the windows drive on the
    > Tower from other machines on the network. ie Laptop.
    > From what I gather Samba is the program here.
    > The Windows drive is partitioned as NTFS c: and Fat32 d:

    That is not all that hard. The machine will need to be named the same
    thing in both OSes. Simple. However, the shares will also have to have
    the same name. Else you will have to browse through the network if you
    reboot to a different OS. Though some one else will have to inform you
    if Linux will see the NTFS partitions. Never dual booted in that fashion.

    > And I want Linux to be able to "take over" the laptop,
    > the equivalent of windows remote desktop.

    Dameware for the Windows boot. Great program. Not sure if there is a
    demo version or not anymore. Or you could go with VNC on both
    partitions, given that that seems to be the only one in Linux at all.
    Though I also am not sure of that.

    > So my questions are.
    >
    > 1. What is the best install of Fedora 4 to easily achieve
    > all this options. Workstation / Server .....

    Depends on what else the box will be doing. You can set up the box do
    just install everything from FC, though that is kinda large.

    > 2. Can I do Workstation and then add the relevant programs.

    Yes.

    > 3. Do I need to run NIS (what is it.)

    No. The shares can have the permissions setup for share, then you just
    log into the share when you want to access the information. My
    understanding is that NIS is the same thing as Windows Network Login.
    Just different. I have yet to much play with it though.

    > 4. DHCP. The Tower is going to be the DHCP server as well,
    > does it have to have the network card setup with its own
    > ip address on bootup, or is it able to be setup with
    > a DHCP address from the DHCP server.

    A DHCP service machine must have a static IP address to run the DHCP
    service. It cannot obtain a IP address from itself.

    > 5. What other programs do I need to install, and in what order.

    Easy of internet sharing through Linux. Firestarter. After box is up and
    connected to internet. su (pass) yum install firestarter. It has built
    in DHCP settings and IPfowarding and firewall. Until you learn the files
    for dhcpd and ifwadmin.

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html. Start to finish.

    > I feel the network is my biggest issue, getting that running
    > properly I think is the key to all the above. The network is
    > all cables, initially there are only 2 machines Tower & Laptop,
    > they are connected via a cross over cable, (just whilst setting
    > all up) then it will run through a network box, allowing other
    > machines to connect to network and Internet.
    >
    > Trevor..

    A good home network is the key to happiness. It is also the key to more
    headaches than you can imagine.

    If I can make a suggestion though. Find a box. Crappy box. Pay 50-100
    dollars for it. Get a KMV switch. Build a linux server on it for your
    internet firewalling. Dual booting a box that provides essential network
    services on it is not a good idea. Or you could go the cheap way and
    just get a router instead of a normal hub and not have to worry about
    the internet sharing at all, and just have normal filesharing between
    the 2 machines.

    Trevor L. Edwards
    "The blind leading the blind"

  4. Re: newbie questions starting out. seting network, 2 machines andinternet sharing, samba, etc..

    > 2 points. First if you are using a broadband connection. The type that
    > runs from an ethernet connection, the Tower will need 2 ethernet cards

    It didn't need 2 NICs the last time I set up such a system.

    You might *choose* to run seperate networks and route between them, but
    that's a decision, not a requirement.

    > the external card(eth1) needs to be set for a
    > dynamic IP(DHCP).

    No it doesn't.

    > XP does internet sharing built in.

    Last time I tried this with Windoze, it made very specific requirements
    about sharing the connection. Have they changed that? I wouldn't use a
    MS product for an internet-facing machine...

    > Linux does as well
    > with IPchains and the like.

    iptables tends to be used these days; ipchains has been old hat for some
    years now.

    > Get a KMV switch.

    Run sshd.

    Vic.