Xinetd keeps stopping - Redhat

This is a discussion on Xinetd keeps stopping - Redhat ; We are having a very strange problem with xinetd (and dependant services such as telnet) stopping on a server. Luckily, most times we can ssh to the server and restart the service but this isn't always the case. We are ...

  1. Xinetd keeps stopping

    We are having a very strange problem with xinetd (and dependant
    services such as telnet) stopping on a server. Luckily, most times we
    can ssh to the server and restart the service but this isn't always the
    case.

    We are running Red Hat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.24. The server is quite old
    (PIII 750MHz, 1 Gb memory) but doesn't seem to have any other problems.
    It's main purpose is as one of three servers which run sendmail and
    Squid proxy for us. Please email any responses to
    swilliams@cromwells.co.uk.

    Any ideas, anyone?

  2. Re: Xinetd keeps stopping

    swilliams@cromwells.co.uk wrote:
    > We are having a very strange problem with xinetd (and dependant
    > services such as telnet) stopping on a server. Luckily, most times we
    > can ssh to the server and restart the service but this isn't always the
    > case.
    >
    > We are running Red Hat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.24. The server is quite old
    > (PIII 750MHz, 1 Gb memory) but doesn't seem to have any other problems.
    > It's main purpose is as one of three servers which run sendmail and
    > Squid proxy for us. Please email any responses to
    > swilliams@cromwells.co.uk.
    >
    > Any ideas, anyone?

    Some files in /etc/xinetd.d really screwed up?
    Should not xinetd automatically restart? On my RHEL3 system, the line in
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd that actually starts the program looks like this:

    daemon $prog -stayalive -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid "$EXTRAOPTIONS"

    Same on my old RHL9 system.

    You may wish to upgrade RHL7.3. It has been discontinued and unsupported for
    a year or two already, so it is ancient history by computer standards. RHL8
    and RHL9 have both been discontinued for about a year and a half as well.

    ^^-^^ 07:05:00 up 56 days, 59 min, 3 users, load average: 4.41, 4.36, 4.22

  3. Re: Xinetd keeps stopping

    That line does exist in the xinetd file:

    daemon $prog -stayalive -reuse -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
    "$EXTRAOPTIONS"

    ....so it's configured to restart if required. But it still needs to be
    started manually if it stops.

  4. Re: Xinetd keeps stopping

    swilliams@cromwells.co.uk wrote:
    > That line does exist in the xinetd file:
    >
    > daemon $prog -stayalive -reuse -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
    > "$EXTRAOPTIONS"
    >
    > ...so it's configured to restart if required. But it still needs to be
    > started manually if it stops.

    Something is really wrong.

    ^^-^^ 10:30:00 up 56 days, 4:24, 3 users, load average: 4.43, 4.41, 4.37

+ Reply to Thread