Authentication via NIS - Redhat

This is a discussion on Authentication via NIS - Redhat ; I have 3 Redhat Enterprise 3 systems that I would like to integrate via NIS. This is my first time using NIS, but I understand it is my best option when it comes to sharing authentication. Unfortunately, with no experience, ...

  1. Authentication via NIS

    I have 3 Redhat Enterprise 3 systems that I would like to integrate via NIS.
    This is my first time using NIS, but I understand it is my best option when
    it comes to sharing authentication. Unfortunately, with no experience, I
    really don't know how to set this up.

    What are the basic steps to setting up a shared authentication system using
    NIS? I plan to set this up with 1 server acting as the master. With just 3
    servers, I don't see a need for any slaves, though I could be wrong. Any
    suggestions in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

    If you can recommend a good howto website or book, that would also be
    greatly appreciated.

    Thank You,
    Jason Williard

  2. Re: Authentication via NIS

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway jwilliard@pcsafe.com typed:
    > I have 3 Redhat Enterprise 3 systems that I would like to integrate via NIS.
    > This is my first time using NIS, but I understand it is my best option when
    > it comes to sharing authentication. Unfortunately, with no experience, I
    > really don't know how to set this up.
    >
    > What are the basic steps to setting up a shared authentication system using
    > NIS? I plan to set this up with 1 server acting as the master. With just 3
    > servers, I don't see a need for any slaves, though I could be wrong. Any
    > suggestions in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > If you can recommend a good howto website or book, that would also be
    > greatly appreciated.

    How I set ours up can be found at http://www.openhgs.org/it.cgi/NISNFS
    As to references, there are some mentioned on our website, of which I think
    the O'Reilly book is the best. It is on the web somewhere (I think) but I
    have the paper version. I can't comment on slaves, but we don't have one.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)