When Will Linux be ready? - Redhat

This is a discussion on When Will Linux be ready? - Redhat ; I'm not a computer geek nor do I work in IT anymore. I have no axe to grind about Windows or Linux etc. etc. Linux has been around for a good while now 10+ years (and is free) yet still ...

  1. When Will Linux be ready?

    I'm not a computer geek nor do I work in IT anymore. I have no axe to grind
    about Windows or Linux etc. etc. Linux has been around for a good while now
    10+ years (and is free) yet still seems to be severely lacking when it
    comes to a desktop OS role compared to Windows.

    I was wondering if Linux is ever going to become a big time desktop OS or
    forever remain an OS for geeks and computer nerds. Don't get me wrong there
    is much about Linux that I like over Windows trouble is it just never seems
    to work as well. Why cant people just concentrate their efforts into one or
    two versions that way they might have a break though.

    I really do try to use Linux as a desktop OS but I find myself going back
    to Windows after a few months just because it is such hard work under Linux
    being so buggy and un-integrated. This is an OS which is always in beta.

    I would love to find an alternative OS but really there isn't one if you
    are a desktop user, shame really.

  2. Re: When Will Linux be ready? TROLL

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:49:57 +0000, Cheeseman wrote:

    Go troll somewhere else troll.

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  3. Re: When Will Linux be ready?

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:49:57 +0000, Cheeseman mumbled:

    > cheese and more cheese

    He must be a mouse...

    --
    Rinso
    /\

  4. Re: When Will Linux be ready?

    Cheeseman wrote:
    > I'm not a computer geek nor do I work in IT anymore. I have no axe to grind
    > about Windows or Linux etc. etc. Linux has been around for a good while now
    > 10+ years (and is free) yet still seems to be severely lacking when it
    > comes to a desktop OS role compared to Windows.
    >
    > I was wondering if Linux is ever going to become a big time desktop OS or
    > forever remain an OS for geeks and computer nerds. Don't get me wrong there
    > is much about Linux that I like over Windows trouble is it just never seems
    > to work as well. Why cant people just concentrate their efforts into one or
    > two versions that way they might have a break though.
    >
    > I really do try to use Linux as a desktop OS but I find myself going back
    > to Windows after a few months just because it is such hard work under Linux
    > being so buggy and un-integrated. This is an OS which is always in beta.
    >
    > I would love to find an alternative OS but really there isn't one if you
    > are a desktop user, shame really.

    Cheeseman,

    Have you asked this question on a HP-UX, Solaris or AIX newsgroup?

    Linux is more or less a kind of Unix, not a kind of Microsoft Windows clone.

    For me it works well as a desktop, for do not do much more then
    Unix/Linux management.

    Use the OS you need and do not complain about things you cannot use.

    Regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  5. Re: When Will Linux be ready?

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:

    > Cheeseman wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not a computer geek nor do I work in IT anymore. I have no axe to
    >> grind about Windows or Linux etc. etc. Linux has been around for a
    >> good while now 10+ years (and is free) yet still seems to be severely
    >> lacking when it comes to a desktop OS role compared to Windows.
    >>
    >> I was wondering if Linux is ever going to become a big time desktop OS
    >> or forever remain an OS for geeks and computer nerds. Don't get me
    >> wrong there is much about Linux that I like over Windows trouble is it
    >> just never seems to work as well. Why cant people just concentrate
    >> their efforts into one or two versions that way they might have a
    >> break though.
    >>
    >> I really do try to use Linux as a desktop OS but I find myself going
    >> back to Windows after a few months just because it is such hard work
    >> under Linux being so buggy and un-integrated. This is an OS which is
    >> always in beta.
    >>
    >> I would love to find an alternative OS but really there isn't one if
    >> you are a desktop user, shame really.

    > Cheeseman,
    >

    > Have you asked this question on a HP-UX, Solaris or AIX newsgroup?
    >
    > Linux is more or less a kind of Unix, not a kind of Microsoft Windows
    > clone.
    >
    > For me it works well as a desktop, for do not do much more then
    > Unix/Linux management.
    >
    > Use the OS you need and do not complain about things you cannot use.
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

    You just have to be realistic about your expectations. Windows is
    always going to be the premier eye candy desktop OS, but its virtually
    useless for everything else. That's where Linux comes in - with its
    configurability and built in programming capabilities, it leaves Windows
    way behind in the dust.

  6. Re: When Will Linux be ready?

    Cheeseman wrote:
    > I'm not a computer geek nor do I work in IT anymore. I have no axe to grind
    > about Windows or Linux etc. etc. Linux has been around for a good while now
    > 10+ years (and is free) yet still seems to be severely lacking when it
    > comes to a desktop OS role compared to Windows.
    >
    > I was wondering if Linux is ever going to become a big time desktop OS or
    > forever remain an OS for geeks and computer nerds. Don't get me wrong there
    > is much about Linux that I like over Windows trouble is it just never seems
    > to work as well. Why cant people just concentrate their efforts into one or
    > two versions that way they might have a break though.

    I guess it depends on what you mean by "big time." The paradigm of Linux
    marketing is such that it does not get heavy advertizing, the developers do
    not pressure hardware vendors into delivering Linux-Only systems, they do
    not engage in illegal monopolistic trade practices that only their political
    connections enable them to circumvent court judgements against them. Lacking
    those tools, it is not to be expected that Linux will take over the desktop
    market soon, though it is making steady progress.

    I got so disgusted with Windows that I switched to Red Hat Linux 5.0 in mid
    1998, and never looked back. I have rues RHL 5.0, RHL 6.0 and 6.2, RHL 7.3,
    and RHL 9 over the years. On my old machine I run Windows XP Home from
    time-to-time so I can use Quicken and TurboTax. Otherwise, I would never run
    Windows. I switchet to W XP from W 95 because those programs would not run
    properly with W 95.

    > I really do try to use Linux as a desktop OS but I find myself going back
    > to Windows after a few months just because it is such hard work under Linux
    > being so buggy and un-integrated. This is an OS which is always in beta.

    On the off chance that you are not a troll, you might wish to use a version
    of Linux that is not a bleeding-edge nearly-beta version. I had to reject
    Fedora Core 2 because of this.

    On this machine I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (RHEL 4 is available
    now, but I am not upgrading soon; one of the advantages of RHEL
    distributions is that they are guaranteed to be supported for 5 years,
    IIRC). It is definately _not_ a beta release, nor is it bleeding-edge. Now
    RHEL3 is pretty expensive because it includes (nearly) automatic updates as
    they become available (_nearly_ because you can refuse them, or put them in
    when you want instead of automatically).

    > I would love to find an alternative OS but really there isn't one if you
    > are a desktop user, shame really.

    GNUY/Linux is not Windows, so you will need to invest the same effort to
    learn it as you did learning Windows.

    ^^-^^ 06:50:00 up 43 days, 43 min, 3 users, load average: 4.19, 4.19, 4.05

  7. Re: When Will Linux be ready?

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:49:57 +0000 (UTC), a posting issued forth from Cheeseman...
    > I'm not a computer geek nor do I work in IT anymore. I have no axe to grind
    > about Windows or Linux etc. etc. Linux has been around for a good while now
    > 10+ years (and is free) yet still seems to be severely lacking when it
    > comes to a desktop OS role compared to Windows.
    >
    > I was wondering if Linux is ever going to become a big time desktop OS or
    > forever remain an OS for geeks and computer nerds. Don't get me wrong there
    > is much about Linux that I like over Windows trouble is it just never seems
    > to work as well. Why cant people just concentrate their efforts into one or
    > two versions that way they might have a break though.
    >
    > I really do try to use Linux as a desktop OS but I find myself going back
    > to Windows after a few months just because it is such hard work under Linux
    > being so buggy and un-integrated. This is an OS which is always in beta.
    >
    > I would love to find an alternative OS but really there isn't one if you
    > are a desktop user, shame really.

    Linux has been ready for desktop use since 1999. The biggest problem with it is
    hardware support, and that's not really Linux's problem. Manufacturers need to
    write drivers for their hardware, just as they do for other operating systems.
    In fact, it's shocking just how many different hardware configurations Linux
    supports, and supports well. At home, I have Debian running on:

    a P4 from Dell
    a PIII laptop from Compaq
    an AMD K6-2 from NEC
    2 UltraSparcIIis from Sun
    a DEC Alpha
    an SGI Indy
    a PowerPC based IBM RS/6000
    an Intel Celeron
    something else that I can't remember right now...

    The point is, most of these manufacturers haven't bent over backwards to help,
    like they have for the respective operating systems they came with. I'd love to
    see what you thought of a Windows OS that only came with drivers Microsoft had
    had to reverse engineer. *shudder*

    This ranks is a 2.2 on the troll-o-meter.

    --
    Jacob
    mailto:`echo wnpbo@urvqre.ubzryvahk.arg | tr [a-z] [n-za-m]`

  8. Re: When Will Linux be ready?

    Hi Cheeseman,

    My advise:
    Go try some preconfigured GNU/Linux, like UBUNTU.
    Or some distro that is tested heavily, like Debian Sarge.

    DO NOT TRY BLEEDING EDGE DISTRO!
    They will only frustrate you in the long run.

    And one other thing that is really important: Buy and read THE BOOK:
    Running Linux, by O'Reilly (fourth edition now, I think)

    I learnt so many things from that book: It is really the best place to start
    for a newbie, really.

    AFTER that you can run every Linuxdistro, because you understand where to
    look for what information.
    That is the bottomline: Where to look for what. :-)

    Do you REALLY think the geeks where born with that knowledge?
    No man, they all got it from O'Reilly!

    ;-)

    Regards and good luck and ENJOY,
    Erwin Moller