Coloring in the bash shell (again) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Coloring in the bash shell (again) - Redhat ; Hi all. I Posted the same message a couple weeks ago but only got one response which told me to look in the /etc/DIR_COLORS[.xterm] file[s] which I did. But I may as well have looked at the plans for the ...

  1. Coloring in the bash shell (again)

    Hi all. I Posted the same message a couple weeks ago but only got one
    response which told me to look in the /etc/DIR_COLORS[.xterm]
    file[s] which I did.

    But I may as well have looked at the plans for the atomic bomb for all
    the sense it made to me. Thanks for the advice anyway

    Yes I do realise that the coding for the numbers relates to the
    colours of the types of files. But that's not much help to me when I
    don't understand what a lot of the extensions mean in unix like I do
    in windows.

    Is there somewhere where it says that this colour means it is this
    type of file and this type of file does this?

    If there isn't it really would be nice if somebody would write a HOWTO
    or help page about it.

    Again, any help is greatly appreciated

    Tony

  2. Re: Coloring in the bash shell (again)

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:06:34 +1000, Anthony mumbled something like this:

    > Hi all. I Posted the same message a couple weeks ago but only got one
    > response which told me to look in the /etc/DIR_COLORS[.xterm] file[s]
    > which I did.
    >
    > But I may as well have looked at the plans for the atomic bomb for all the
    > sense it made to me. Thanks for the advice anyway
    >
    > Yes I do realise that the coding for the numbers relates to the colours of
    > the types of files. But that's not much help to me when I don't understand
    > what a lot of the extensions mean in unix like I do in windows.
    >
    > Is there somewhere where it says that this colour means it is this type of
    > file and this type of file does this?

    Well, /etc/DIR_COLORS.xterm on my system is commented with pretty much all
    you need to know. But basically it works like this:

    directories(folders in Whinedoze) are blue

    executable files(programs - only rarely have extensions) are green

    symbolic links(similar to, but different to, Whinedoze shortcuts) are cyan

    broken symbolic links have a red background and white text(in my black
    background xterm)

    archives(zip, tar, gz etc.) are red

    image files are magenta

    regular files(text files, source or configuration files and the like)are
    white or black, depending on your background colour

    That's all you really need to know about. The other colours are mostly
    found in the /dev and /proc directories. They are system generated and
    should not be touched unless you *really* know what you are doing.

    All the above information can be found in the comments contained in
    /etc/DIR_COLORS.xterm and /etc/DIR_COLORS.

    --
    Rinso
    /\

  3. Re: Coloring in the bash shell (again)

    On 2005-07-21, Anthony wrote:
    > Hi all. I Posted the same message a couple weeks ago but only got one
    > response which told me to look in the /etc/DIR_COLORS[.xterm]
    > file[s] which I did.

    Well, that is for xterm.

    For "ls" (directory listings) try:

    man dir_colors