Cannot turn off DHCP in RedHat 9 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Cannot turn off DHCP in RedHat 9 - Redhat ; I'm running a RedHat 9 system, and I'm trying to configure its primary network interface (eth0) to have a static IP address. I run 'setup', configure all of the proper settings under 'Network Configuration' (to my knowledge), and verify the ...

  1. Cannot turn off DHCP in RedHat 9

    I'm running a RedHat 9 system, and I'm trying to configure its primary
    network interface (eth0) to have a static IP address. I run 'setup',
    configure all of the proper settings under 'Network Configuration' (to
    my knowledge), and verify the contents of
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

    DEVICE=eth0
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.8.15
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    GATEWAY=192.168.8.1

    But if I do a network restart (or even a reboot, for that matter),
    whenever the eth0 interface comes back up, it keeps querying my DHCP
    server for its settings, and configuring the interface as such.

    Am I missing a configuration step? I've tried various things like
    getting rid of the dhclient-eth0.leases file and dropping the lease
    before resetting the network, but I can't find any combination that
    will solve my problem. It seems like I must be missing some simple and
    obvious way to turn the DHCP client off. But if it's down the
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/network rabbit hole, I haven't found it yet.

    Any help would be much appreciated. I'm looking forward to moving on
    past this one.

    Thanks,
    Kevin

  2. Re: Cannot turn off DHCP in RedHat 9

    heybrakywacky@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'm running a RedHat 9 system, and I'm trying to configure its primary
    > network interface (eth0) to have a static IP address. I run 'setup',
    > configure all of the proper settings under 'Network Configuration' (to
    > my knowledge), and verify the contents of
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
    >
    > DEVICE=eth0
    > ONBOOT=yes
    > BOOTPROTO=static
    > IPADDR=192.168.8.15
    > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    > GATEWAY=192.168.8.1
    >
    > But if I do a network restart (or even a reboot, for that matter),
    > whenever the eth0 interface comes back up, it keeps querying my DHCP
    > server for its settings, and configuring the interface as such.
    >
    > Am I missing a configuration step? I've tried various things like
    > getting rid of the dhclient-eth0.leases file and dropping the lease
    > before resetting the network, but I can't find any combination that
    > will solve my problem. It seems like I must be missing some simple and
    > obvious way to turn the DHCP client off. But if it's down the
    > /etc/rc.d/init.d/network rabbit hole, I haven't found it yet.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated. I'm looking forward to moving on
    > past this one.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin

    Here is mine from a RHL 9 system:

    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=none
    BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
    IPADDR=192.168.1.2
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.1.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    HWADDR=00:75:27:21:12:75
    USERCTL=no
    PEERDNS=no
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    TYPE=Ethernet

    ^^-^^ 06:25:00 up 31 days, 17 min, 4 users, load average: 5.21, 5.18, 4.95

  3. Re: Cannot turn off DHCP in RedHat 9

    > DEVICE=eth0
    > ONBOOT=yes
    > BOOTPROTO=static
    > IPADDR=192.168.8.15
    > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    > GATEWAY=192.168.8.1

    This all looks fine.
    > Am I missing a configuration step? I've tried various things like
    > getting rid of the dhclient-eth0.leases file and dropping the lease
    > before resetting the network, but I can't find any combination that
    > will solve my problem. It seems like I must be missing some simple and
    > obvious way to turn the DHCP client off. But if it's down the
    > /etc/rc.d/init.d/network rabbit hole, I haven't found it yet.

    One possible problem is that the script exists in three places down said
    rabbit hole:

    $ pwd
    /etc/sysconfig
    $ find . -name ifcfg-eth0 -print | xargs ls -l
    -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 145 Dec 22 2004
    ../network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 145 Dec 22 2004
    ../networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
    -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 145 Dec 22 2004
    ../networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0

    If the links are broken on your machine, you could have edited the wrong
    script.

  4. Re: Cannot turn off DHCP in RedHat 9

    Eureka! network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
    networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0 were both right, but
    networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 was still pointing to DHCP. I changed it
    to be the same as the other two, reset the network, and my changes took
    effect.

    Thanks for your help!

    Kevin

    Allen McIntosh wrote:

    > > Am I missing a configuration step? I've tried various things like
    > > getting rid of the dhclient-eth0.leases file and dropping the lease
    > > before resetting the network, but I can't find any combination that
    > > will solve my problem. It seems like I must be missing some simple and
    > > obvious way to turn the DHCP client off. But if it's down the
    > > /etc/rc.d/init.d/network rabbit hole, I haven't found it yet.

    > One possible problem is that the script exists in three places down said
    > rabbit hole:
    >
    > $ pwd
    > /etc/sysconfig
    > $ find . -name ifcfg-eth0 -print | xargs ls -l
    > -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 145 Dec 22 2004
    > ./network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    > -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 145 Dec 22 2004
    > ./networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
    > -rw-r--r-- 3 root root 145 Dec 22 2004
    > ./networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0
    >
    > If the links are broken on your machine, you could have edited the wrong
    > script.

  5. Re: Cannot turn off DHCP in RedHat 9

    > I changed it
    > to be the same as the other two, reset the network, and my changes took
    > effect.

    It's not clear from this statement whether or not all three are now
    links to the same file. If you use RedHat's GUI tools at all, you
    should make sure they are, lest something get messed up again. Even if
    you don't use the GUI tools, it's easier than having to remember to
    change multiple files.

+ Reply to Thread