colouring in the bash shell - Redhat

This is a discussion on colouring in the bash shell - Redhat ; Hi all. I wasn't sure where to post this message so I chose the misc because I would consider it to be a general question. If I'm wrong I apologize. My question is this, "Is there anywhere that I can ...

  1. colouring in the bash shell

    Hi all.

    I wasn't sure where to post this message so I chose the misc because I
    would consider it to be a general question. If I'm wrong I apologize.

    My question is this, "Is there anywhere that I can find an explanation of
    the colouring in the bash shell?"

    When you do an ls and it comes up with all the different colours for
    different types of files. I am of course aware of the reason for the
    colouring, i.e. to show what type of files they are, but I can find no
    information about what each colour means.

    I would really appreciate it if anybody could point me to a man page or a
    HOWTO page or a web page that will give me a list of the colours and their
    meanings.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Tony

  2. Re: colouring in the bash shell

    Anthony Galea wrote:

    > Any help greatly appreciated.

    Have a look (with any text editor of your choice) at the
    /etc/DIR_COLORS[.xterm] file[s].