order of network device names - Redhat

This is a discussion on order of network device names - Redhat ; I have a PC with two network adapters. In addition there is a PCMCIA adapter hosting a WLAN card. The ethernet card provides eth0 and eth1. When the system is booted without the WLAN card and the WLAN card is ...

  1. order of network device names

    I have a PC with two network adapters. In addition there is a PCMCIA
    adapter hosting a WLAN card. The ethernet card provides eth0 and eth1.
    When the system is booted without the WLAN card and the WLAN card is
    plugged after booting it becomes eth2. But when the WLAN card resides
    inside the PC it becomes eth0 and the interface which normally eth0 is
    invisible.
    How can I stop the automatic assigment and can it do manually?

  2. Re: order of network device names

    I have forgotten to write that I'm using FC2

  3. Re: order of network device names

    Check your scripts in /etc/init.d/ and let wlan come up AFTER the
    network sctipt runs. Also, run nysysv and see what services you
    bring up at boot.

    HTH

    Peter wrote:

    > I have forgotten to write that I'm using FC2

+ Reply to Thread