external drive can not be recnginzed - Redhat

This is a discussion on external drive can not be recnginzed - Redhat ; Hi, there: I have an external hard drive which I used in Windows system for a while. Last night, I trid to mount it to the my linux box, and backup something. However, I followed some online instruction (supposed to ...

  1. external drive can not be recnginzed

    Hi, there:

    I have an external hard drive which I used in Windows system for a while.
    Last night, I trid to mount it to the my linux box, and backup something.

    However, I followed some online instruction (supposed to be used for
    brandnew external drive only), specifically, I did:

    fdisk /dec/sda
    mkfs /dev/sda

    My linux got frozen during the second command, and I had to shut the machine
    down. However, now my external hard drive can not be recongized in Windows
    too (Windows XP can pick up the drive in the device manager, but the disk
    manger can not).

    What are my choices now? Is it possible that the data on the disk is lost?

    Thanks a lot.

    sincerely,

    Rui

  2. Re: external drive can not be recnginzed

    "rui qiao" schreef in bericht
    > Hi, there:
    >
    > I have an external hard drive which I used in Windows system for a while.
    > Last night, I trid to mount it to the my linux box, and backup something.
    >
    > However, I followed some online instruction (supposed to be used for
    > brandnew external drive only), specifically, I did:
    >
    > fdisk /dec/sda
    > mkfs /dev/sda
    >
    > My linux got frozen during the second command, and I had to shut the
    > machine
    > down. However, now my external hard drive can not be recongized in Windows
    > too (Windows XP can pick up the drive in the device manager, but the disk
    > manger can not).
    >
    > What are my choices now? Is it possible that the data on the disk is lost?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > sincerely,
    >
    > Rui

    Rui,

    fdisk /dec/sda or fdisk /dev/sda?

    Regards,

    Jan Gerrit

  3. Re: external drive can not be recnginzed

    Thanks for your reply. It was fdisk /dev/sda.

    After posting for help, I played around with the windows XP, and XP says
    that my drive is not initialized. When I initialize it, it says that the
    disk is not formated yet. Looks like I really screwed it up? A friend told
    me that things on the disk are now gone forever, is this true?

    sincerely,

    Rui

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:

    > "rui qiao" schreef in bericht
    >> Hi, there:
    >>
    >> I have an external hard drive which I used in Windows system for a while.
    >> Last night, I trid to mount it to the my linux box, and backup something.
    >>
    >> However, I followed some online instruction (supposed to be used for
    >> brandnew external drive only), specifically, I did:
    >>
    >> fdisk /dec/sda
    >> mkfs /dev/sda
    >>
    >> My linux got frozen during the second command, and I had to shut the
    >> machine
    >> down. However, now my external hard drive can not be recongized in
    >> Windows too (Windows XP can pick up the drive in the device manager, but
    >> the disk manger can not).
    >>
    >> What are my choices now? Is it possible that the data on the disk is
    >> lost?
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot.
    >>
    >> sincerely,
    >>
    >> Rui
    >>

    > Rui,
    >

    > fdisk /dec/sda or fdisk /dev/sda?
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit

  4. Re: external drive can not be recnginzed

    Thank you very much for pointing out several data recovery softwares. I will
    figure out how much my data worth and decide then.

    sincerely,

    Rui

+ Reply to Thread