printing from bash terminal - Redhat

This is a discussion on printing from bash terminal - Redhat ; Hi all. Sorry to be such a bother. I am an absolute newbie to Linux and have managed to successfully install Fedora Core 4 on my second hard drive. I have also managed to get CUPS to find my printer. ...

  1. printing from bash terminal

    Hi all. Sorry to be such a bother. I am an absolute newbie to Linux
    and have managed to successfully install Fedora Core 4 on my second
    hard drive.

    I have also managed to get CUPS to find my printer. But I have no
    success in getting the lp or the lpr command to work when I want to
    print man pages or anything else from my bash shell.

    Does anybody have any suggestions? I have read that Red hat use the
    printtool but when i try to get that running it just comes up with
    error messages.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Thank you all

    Tony

  2. Re: printing from bash terminal

    Anthony Galea wrote:

    > Hi all. Sorry to be such a bother. I am an absolute newbie to Linux
    > and have managed to successfully install Fedora Core 4 on my second
    > hard drive.
    >
    > I have also managed to get CUPS to find my printer. But I have no
    > success in getting the lp or the lpr command to work when I want to
    > print man pages or anything else from my bash shell.

    What step have you taken?? Where is your printer?? Is it a network
    printer attached to a Windows system?? Please explain.

    > Does anybody have any suggestions? I have read that Red hat use the
    > printtool but when i try to get that running it just comes up with
    > error messages.

    Which are??

    > Any help greatly appreciated.

    If CUPS is installed and configured correctly the all you need to do is
    type something like; lpr filename

    Printing a man page can be done by typing the following two lines for
    example;

    man lpr > lpr.txt
    lpr lpr.txt

    Please review;

  3. Re: printing from bash terminal

    On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:18:58 +0000, Lenard wrote:

    > Anthony Galea wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all. Sorry to be such a bother. I am an absolute newbie to Linux
    >> and have managed to successfully install Fedora Core 4 on my second
    >> hard drive.
    >>
    >> I have also managed to get CUPS to find my printer. But I have no
    >> success in getting the lp or the lpr command to work when I want to
    >> print man pages or anything else from my bash shell.

    > What step have you taken?? Where is your printer?? Is it a network
    > printer attached to a Windows system?? Please explain.
    >
    >> Does anybody have any suggestions? I have read that Red hat use the
    >> printtool but when i try to get that running it just comes up with
    >> error messages.

    > Which are??
    >

    >> Any help greatly appreciated.

    > If CUPS is installed and configured correctly the all you need to do is
    > type something like; lpr filename
    >
    > Printing a man page can be done by typing the following two lines for
    > example;
    >
    > man lpr > lpr.txt
    > lpr lpr.txt

    Could you not also: man lpr | lpr
    ?

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  4. Re: printing from bash terminal

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    >> If CUPS is installed and configured correctly the all you need to do
    >> is type something like; lpr filename
    >>
    >> Printing a man page can be done by typing the following two lines for
    >> example;
    >>
    >> man lpr > lpr.txt
    >> lpr lpr.txt

    > Could you not also: man lpr | lpr
    > ?

    Yes, but it's (also) nice to reformat the paging to make reading the
    text easier. For example, using the manpage for lpr the COMPATIBILITY
    section starts on the printed page one with the bold section header
    along with the first line. Then on the second printed page the second
    line of the section, with some printers. I perfer to add a couple of
    line feeds and have the COMPATIBILITY section all on one page.

  5. Re: printing from bash terminal

    Lenard writes:
    >Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >

    >>> If CUPS is installed and configured correctly the all you need to do
    >>> is type something like; lpr filename
    >>>
    >>> Printing a man page can be done by typing the following two lines for
    >>> example;
    >>>
    >>> man lpr > lpr.txt
    >>> lpr lpr.txt

    >> Could you not also: man lpr | lpr
    >> ?

    >Yes, but it's (also) nice to reformat the paging to make reading the
    >text easier. For example, using the manpage for lpr the COMPATIBILITY
    >section starts on the printed page one with the bold section header
    >along with the first line. Then on the second printed page the second
    >line of the section, with some printers. I perfer to add a couple of
    >line feeds and have the COMPATIBILITY section all on one page.

    Even better:

    $ zcat /usr/share/man/man1/lpr.1.gz | groff -man | lp -d printer1

    scott

+ Reply to Thread