Is Red Hat dead? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Is Red Hat dead? - Redhat ; Here in linux.redhat.misc, Geno spake unto us, saying: >Richard Steiner wrote: > >> The OP doesn't realize that Red Hat still hasn't gotten as far as OS/2 >> was in its heyday > >Are you saying that Redhat is crap? ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    Here in linux.redhat.misc, Geno spake unto us, saying:

    >Richard Steiner wrote:
    >
    >> The OP doesn't realize that Red Hat still hasn't gotten as far as OS/2
    >> was in its heyday

    >Are you saying that Redhat is crap?

    Absolutely not. I've used Red Hat off and on since RH 4.2, and I still
    like it (though I've not used it that much recently). It was the first
    Linux distro that I used after SLS and Slackware, and it was my first
    experience with a useful package manager (early RPM).

    Red Hat just hasn't reached the level of popularity that OS/2 had at
    its height, mainly (I suspect) because it has to compete against a lot
    more rivals than OS/2 did in its time (mainly other Linux distros).

    FYI, some analysts estimated that OS/2 had as much as 20% marketshare
    on both the desktop and the server during the early months of 1996, so
    that should give you a frame of reference.

    Nobody has been able to match that in the x86 world except for Windows.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  2. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    Here in linux.redhat.misc, Geno spake unto us, saying:

    >What happened to this wonderOS? Someone said that it cannot support hard
    >drives bigger than 1 gig and CD-R's faster than 2X. This is a joke. Right?

    It has no such limits (even the nine-year-old OS/2 PPro/200 box I'm using
    to write this has disks larger than that and a faster CD burner).

    Also, newer versions of OS/2 and eCS have a very nice LVM implementation
    (the one IBM has released for Linux is based on the OS/2 LVM code).

    People have a tendency to mock what they don't understand.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  3. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    Here in linux.redhat.misc,
    "Tango" spake unto us, saying:

    >Been there. Now where can I buy it or, should I ask how much does it cost?

    OS/2 is fairly spendy, thanks to IBM not being willing to reduce its
    price. You can obtain copies of it (or eComStation, its latest and
    greatest incarnation) here:

    http://www.mensys.nl

    >Does it support multi processors and, support for the latest hardware
    >on the market such as DVD writers, scanners, digital cameras etc?

    The server version of OS/2 and the client version of eCS does, but you
    end up paying for it.

    Some of the above devices work, some don't. USB support is getting a
    lot better for OS/2, but it's still rough in some ways:

    http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=usbsite

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  4. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    Here in linux.redhat.misc,
    "Tango" spake unto us, saying:

    >If indeed, OS/2 was as great as you describe it, I find it hard to believe
    >that Microsoft could "force" many to not support that business.

    Read the Findings of Fact document that was released as part of the US
    Department of Justice case against Microsoft for a lot of information
    pertaining to Microsoft's tactics in the late 80's and early 90's.

    http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...989/18989.html

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  5. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    "Richard Steiner" wrote in message

    > OS/2 is fairly spendy, thanks to IBM not being willing to reduce its
    > price. You can obtain copies of it (or eComStation, its latest and
    > greatest incarnation) here:
    >
    > http://www.mensys.nl

    Do you mean, if I want to purchase it, I have to buy it in the Netherlands?
    Wasn't there a place somewhere in the Carolinas called Indellible Blue who
    used to sell OS/2? What happened to them?

    Like you, I have Redhat Enterprise installed but I really don't see any joy
    in using it. I can't manipulate digital photos like I can with XP, nor can I
    write DVD's like I can with XP. I tried to sell the software (9 cd's
    included) but there are no takers so this is why I think that Linux is on
    the way out the door like OS/2.

  6. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:42:22 +0000, Molitle wrote:
    >
    > Spread your ****ing FUD somewhere else. Your ability to spank the monkey
    > to stolen porn videos doesn't determine

    X------snip------X

    I don't think he was spanking the monkey, I think he just made you gleam by
    pissing all over your dumb head, you idiot.

    If you want to sell porn videos, this is not the place nor the time.This is
    a redhat group. If you're confused, ask your mom where to sell that stuff,
    I am sure she knows

  7. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    Here in linux.redhat.misc,
    "Molitle" spake unto us, saying:

    >"Richard Steiner" wrote in message
    >
    >> http://www.mensys.nl

    >Do you mean, if I want to purchase it, I have to buy it in the
    >Netherlands?

    No, you can also buy it directly from IBM. I just didn't have any URLs
    in IBM's ugly maze of a web site memorized.

    There are also various consultants around who will sell pre-installed
    OS/2 boxes. The number gets smaller though the years, but it's still
    no-zero.

    >Wasn't there a place somewhere in the Carolinas called Indellible Blue
    >who used to sell OS/2? What happened to them?

    They used to sell both hardware and software, but as far as I know they
    exited the software business some time ago, and they changed their name
    to something else. BMT Micro is still around, though:

    http://www.bmtmicro.com/BMTCatalog/B...ftwareOS2.html

    >Like you, I have Redhat Enterprise installed but I really don't see any joy
    >in using it.

    >I can't manipulate digital photos like I can with XP, nor can I write
    >DVD's like I can with XP. I tried to sell the software (9 cd's included)
    >but there are no takers so this is why I think that Linux is on the way
    >out the door like OS/2.

    Red Hat represents a fairly small fraction of the total Linux market,
    and an even smaller fraction of the total copies of Linux in use.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  8. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    Bruce Coryell wrote in

    > MS hired the guy at
    > Digital who wrote VMS, and then NT was developed.

    "The guy" was David Cutler.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Cutler

    Jim

  9. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:20:17 +0000, os2guy wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:42:22 +0000, Molitle wrote:
    >>
    >> Spread your ****ing FUD somewhere else. Your ability to spank the monkey
    >> to stolen porn videos doesn't determine

    > X------snip------X
    >
    > I don't think he was spanking the monkey, I think he just made you gleam by
    > pissing all over your dumb head, you idiot.
    >
    > If you want to sell porn videos, this is not the place nor the time.This is
    > a redhat group. If you're confused, ask your mom where to sell that stuff,
    > I am sure she knows

    Are you off your meds? Even if that was supposed to be a flame of some
    sort it didn't make any sense.

    You'll never get your trolling license that way.

    --
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Benjamin Franklin (I didn't know he was a Buddhist)

  10. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:45:07 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:16:31 +0000, Geno wrote:
    >
    >> Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >>

    >>> OS/2: still the best performing (widely available) SMP OS that's ever
    >>> existed (outperformed multiple versions of *nix, Netware and every MS
    >>> product).

    >> What happened to this wonderOS?

    > It was never pushed by IBM, for whatever reason... I guess IBM didn't want
    > to be in the OS business.

    Hardware support is why I had to finally abandon OS/2. When it is there
    it was usually written by some guy who went just far enough to get it
    running on his system. I could never get decent usb or palm syncing.

    I finally had to give it up. I just wish that IBM would open up WPS and
    EPM. Oh well.

    --
    Mark Healey
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  11. Re: Is Red Hat dead?

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:14:38 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:45:07 -0500, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    >>> What happened to this wonderOS?

    >> It was never pushed by IBM, for whatever reason... I guess IBM didn't want
    >> to be in the OS business.

    > Hardware support is why I had to finally abandon OS/2. When it is there
    > it was usually written by some guy who went just far enough to get it
    > running on his system. I could never get decent usb or palm syncing.
    >
    > I finally had to give it up. I just wish that IBM would open up WPS and
    > EPM. Oh well.

    Well, that goes back to the "buy hardware that works with the OS you
    intend to use" issue.

    I had an OS/2 network fax server because OS/2 was the only OS that
    supported Brook-trout fax boards at the time... worked like a charm.