nVidia driver on FC4 - Redhat

This is a discussion on nVidia driver on FC4 - Redhat ; I think this may be an old issue. An acquaintance at the time fixed it without telling me the fix. I don't have access to him, now. I installed FC4 on my Dell Inspiron laptop. Installed the nVidia driver update. ...

  1. nVidia driver on FC4

    I think this may be an old issue. An acquaintance at the time fixed it
    without telling me the fix. I don't have access to him, now.

    I installed FC4 on my Dell Inspiron laptop. Installed the nVidia
    driver update. I can then start x, but, it only lasts until I shut
    down the laptop. Then, I need to reinstall the driver, again.

    IIRC, the older problem (that was fixed) was that the kernel was
    trying to load the nVidia modules incorrectly. A small shell script
    was supposed to have fixed that problem, but, it would need to be
    updated if I upgraded the kernel. However, I don't know where this
    script is or how to track it down on my laptop, to get it to work with
    the newer kernel.

    What are my options for getting the nVidia driver to work with my new
    FC4 kernel?

    Gwen
    --
    Gwen Morse mailto:goldmooneachna%40yahoo.com
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then

  2. Re: nVidia driver on FC4

    Gwen Morse wrote:
    > I think this may be an old issue. An acquaintance at the time fixed it
    > without telling me the fix. I don't have access to him, now.
    >
    > I installed FC4 on my Dell Inspiron laptop. Installed the nVidia
    > driver update. I can then start x, but, it only lasts until I shut
    > down the laptop. Then, I need to reinstall the driver, again.

    Happened to me on FC3; I believe it's a udev-related thing. Check out
    http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/l...ry/001010.html
    for one person's experience and solution.

    James Jones

  3. Re: nVidia driver on FC4

    On 15 Jun 2005 20:37:10 -0700, "jejones3141"
    wrote:

    >Gwen Morse wrote:
    >> I think this may be an old issue. An acquaintance at the time fixed it
    >> without telling me the fix. I don't have access to him, now.
    >>
    >> I installed FC4 on my Dell Inspiron laptop. Installed the nVidia
    >> driver update. I can then start x, but, it only lasts until I shut
    >> down the laptop. Then, I need to reinstall the driver, again.

    >Happened to me on FC3; I believe it's a udev-related thing. Check out
    >http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/l...ry/001010.html
    >for one person's experience and solution.
    >
    > James Jones

    This little bit turned out to be my fix:
    alias char-major-195* nvidia in my modprobe.conf directory.

    Thanks for the pointer!!!

    Gwen

  4. Re: nVidia driver on FC4

    "Gwen Morse" wrote in message
    news:1118888086.806c145756bfd7494f9e2914f06e67bd@t eranews...
    > I think this may be an old issue. An acquaintance at the time fixed it
    > without telling me the fix. I don't have access to him, now.
    >
    > I installed FC4 on my Dell Inspiron laptop. Installed the nVidia
    > driver update. I can then start x, but, it only lasts until I shut
    > down the laptop. Then, I need to reinstall the driver, again.

    Hi Gwen how are you going ?

    I had some problems trying to install the nVidia drivers on FC3 , here are
    the instructions that I posted in LinuxQuestions about how I fix it in FC3 ,
    it will probably be relevant to FC4

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...65#post1481765

    The Steps you need to do after installing the nVidia drivers is :

    1) copy the nvidia files from /dev -> /etc/udev/devices

    cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices

    You should have 9 nVidia files listed in /dev , nvidia0 ......nvidia7 +
    nvidiactl
    If not , then you will have to use modprobe to get all the files by using
    the command :

    modprobe nvidia

    Then repeat step 1 again.

    2) Change the permissions in /etc/udev/permissions.d/50-udev.permissions ,
    scroll down to the sections "dri devices" and then change :

    nvidia*:root:root:0660
    nvidia*"root:root:0666

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  5. Re: nVidia driver on FC4

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:15:19 +0800, "Sandgroper"
    wrote:

    >"Gwen Morse" wrote in message
    >news:1118888086.806c145756bfd7494f9e2914f06e67bd@t eranews...
    >> I think this may be an old issue. An acquaintance at the time fixed it
    >> without telling me the fix. I don't have access to him, now.
    >>
    >> I installed FC4 on my Dell Inspiron laptop. Installed the nVidia
    >> driver update. I can then start x, but, it only lasts until I shut
    >> down the laptop. Then, I need to reinstall the driver, again.
    >>

    >Hi Gwen how are you going ?
    >
    >I had some problems trying to install the nVidia drivers on FC3 , here are
    >the instructions that I posted in LinuxQuestions about how I fix it in FC3 ,
    >it will probably be relevant to FC4
    >
    >http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...65#post1481765
    >
    >The Steps you need to do after installing the nVidia drivers is :
    >
    >1) copy the nvidia files from /dev -> /etc/udev/devices
    >
    > cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices

    I did this (after the modprobe). Changing the permissions wasn't
    necessary. I was missing an alias to nvidia in my modprobe.conf file.
    Putting it in fixed the x issue.

    Thank you for answering my question, it's sure to be useful to other
    people, given that it seems to be an ongoing problem with nVidia and
    Fedora Core.

    Gwen

+ Reply to Thread