How can I get back Grub? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How can I get back Grub? - Redhat ; I use Grub to boot Linux Enterprise, Windows XP Pro, and Windows XP 64 bit. I don't know what happened but I lost Grub. I can only boot Windows. Is there a way to get Grub working again or, can ...

  1. How can I get back Grub?

    I use Grub to boot Linux Enterprise, Windows XP Pro, and Windows XP 64 bit.
    I don't know what happened but I lost Grub. I can only boot Windows.

    Is there a way to get Grub working again or, can I boot Linux fron boot.ini?

  2. Re: How can I get back Grub?

    nospam wrote:
    > I use Grub to boot Linux Enterprise, Windows XP Pro, and Windows XP 64 bit.
    > I don't know what happened but I lost Grub. I can only boot Windows.
    >
    > Is there a way to get Grub working again or, can I boot Linux fron boot.ini?

    Did you re-install Windows or something? Perhaps all you need do is boot
    Linux from a CD-ROM (or floppy, if your distro is old enough to fit a boot
    onto a floppy) and re-write the boot block.

    ^^-^^ 07:10:00 up 1 day, 20:22, 3 users, load average: 2.23, 2.21, 2.12

  3. Re: How can I get back Grub?

    "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
    > nospam wrote:
    >> I use Grub to boot Linux Enterprise, Windows XP Pro, and Windows XP 64
    >> bit.
    >> I don't know what happened but I lost Grub. I can only boot Windows.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to get Grub working again or, can I boot Linux fron
    >> boot.ini?
    >>

    > Did you re-install Windows or something? Perhaps all you need do is boot
    > Linux from a CD-ROM (or floppy, if your distro is old enough to fit a boot
    > onto a floppy) and re-write the boot block.

    It's Enterprise WS 3.0, when I installed it, I was not given the option to
    create a bootdisk. Anyhow, how do I rewrite the boot block otherwise?

  4. Re: How can I get back Grub?

    nospam wrote:

    > "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
    >> nospam wrote:
    >>> I use Grub to boot Linux Enterprise, Windows XP Pro, and Windows XP
    >>> 64 bit.
    >>> I don't know what happened but I lost Grub. I can only boot Windows.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to get Grub working again or, can I boot Linux fron
    >>> boot.ini?
    >>>

    >> Did you re-install Windows or something? Perhaps all you need do is
    >> boot Linux from a CD-ROM (or floppy, if your distro is old enough to
    >> fit a boot onto a floppy) and re-write the boot block.

    > It's Enterprise WS 3.0, when I installed it, I was not given the
    > option to create a bootdisk. Anyhow, how do I rewrite the boot block
    > otherwise?

    Boot with the RHEL 3.0 installation media, when the splash screen is
    displayed type; linux rescue

    Answer a few questions and follow the on-screen instructions about using
    chroot, when ready type something like;

    grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

    See 'man grub-install' and 'man mkbootdisk' without the quotes for extra
    points.

    Also visit for other boot options;

    http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/dualboot.htm

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...RHEL-3-Manual/

  5. Re: How can I get back Grub?

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    news:0WZle.2393$uu.637@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com. ..
    > nospam wrote:
    >

    >> "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

    >>> Did you re-install Windows or something? Perhaps all you need do is
    >>> boot Linux from a CD-ROM (or floppy, if your distro is old enough to
    >>> fit a boot onto a floppy) and re-write the boot block.

    >> It's Enterprise WS 3.0, when I installed it, I was not given the
    >> option to create a bootdisk. Anyhow, how do I rewrite the boot block
    >> otherwise?

    > Boot with the RHEL 3.0 installation media, when the splash screen is
    > displayed type; linux rescue
    >
    > Answer a few questions and follow the on-screen instructions about using
    > chroot, when ready type something like;
    >
    > grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
    >
    > See 'man grub-install' and 'man mkbootdisk' without the quotes for extra
    > points.
    >
    > Also visit for other boot options;
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/dualboot.htm
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...RHEL-3-Manual/

    Thanks. Let me try this....

  6. Re: How can I get back Grub?

    Lenard wrote:

    > nospam wrote:
    >

    >> "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

    >>> Did you re-install Windows or something? Perhaps all you need do is
    >>> boot Linux from a CD-ROM (or floppy, if your distro is old enough to
    >>> fit a boot onto a floppy) and re-write the boot block.

    >> It's Enterprise WS 3.0, when I installed it, I was not given the
    >> option to create a bootdisk. Anyhow, how do I rewrite the boot block
    >> otherwise?

    > Boot with the RHEL 3.0 installation media, when the splash screen is
    > displayed type; linux rescue
    >
    > Answer a few questions and follow the on-screen instructions about using
    > chroot, when ready type something like;
    >
    > grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

    I get "command not found" when I type this command

  7. Re: How can I get back Grub?

    nospam wrote:
    > Lenard wrote:
    >

    >>nospam wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message

    >>>It's Enterprise WS 3.0, when I installed it, I was not given the
    >>>option to create a bootdisk. Anyhow, how do I rewrite the boot block
    >>>otherwise?

    >>Boot with the RHEL 3.0 installation media, when the splash screen is
    >>displayed type; linux rescue
    >>
    >>Answer a few questions and follow the on-screen instructions about using
    >>chroot, when ready type something like;
    >>
    >>grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

    > I get "command not found" when I type this command

    $ whereis grub-install
    grub-install: /sbin/grub-install

    ^^-^^ 16:15:00 up 2 days, 5:27, 3 users, load average: 2.08, 2.09, 2.10

+ Reply to Thread