FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux) - Redhat

This is a discussion on FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux) - Redhat ; Included: Retail box, 9 CD's, Installation Guide, RedHat Service Activation card. I am asking $50 + shipping (in the USA only). If you are interested, please leave an email address. Thanks...

  1. FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    Included: Retail box, 9 CD's, Installation Guide, RedHat Service
    Activation card. I am asking $50 + shipping (in the USA only).

    If you are interested, please leave an email address. Thanks

  2. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:21:54 +0000, Gordy wrote:

    > Included: Retail box, 9 CD's, Installation Guide, RedHat Service
    > Activation card. I am asking $50 + shipping (in the USA only).
    >
    > If you are interested, please leave an email address. Thanks

    It's not legal to transfer software licenses.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  3. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:21:54 +0000, Gordy wrote:
    >

    >>Included: Retail box, 9 CD's, Installation Guide, RedHat Service
    >>Activation card. I am asking $50 + shipping (in the USA only).
    >>
    >>If you are interested, please leave an email address. Thanks

    > It's not legal to transfer software licenses.

    Eh? Of course it is you PILLOCK

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Fedora Core 3

  4. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:36:21 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >> On Sat, 21 May 2005 19:21:54 +0000, Gordy wrote:
    >>
    >>>Included: Retail box, 9 CD's, Installation Guide, RedHat Service
    >>>Activation card. I am asking $50 + shipping (in the USA only).
    >>>
    >>>If you are interested, please leave an email address. Thanks

    >> It's not legal to transfer software licenses.

    > Eh? Of course it is you PILLOCK

    Think you better read that license again.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  5. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:36:21 +0100, Gordon wrote:
    >

    >>Ivan Marsh wrote:

    >>>It's not legal to transfer software licenses.

    >>Eh? Of course it is you PILLOCK

    > Think you better read that license again.

    Well I can't believe that MICROSOFT allows you to transfer a retail copy
    of WINDOWS to another party yet Redhat doesn't!

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Fedora Core 3
    http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/...t/IhateMS.html
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

  6. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    Gordy wrote:
    > Included: Retail box, 9 CD's, Installation Guide, RedHat Service
    > Activation card. I am asking $50 + shipping (in the USA only).
    >
    > If you are interested, please leave an email address. Thanks

    How could anyone buy this? You do not provide sufficient information. For
    one thing, if it is not Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 WS, there would be little
    point in purchasing it for a new system anyway. So, at least, is it RHEL 3
    WS or RHEL 4 ES?

    Did you obtain written permission from Red Hat to transfer your license? See
    Section 5.

    http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_...United+States&

    If not, the sale would violate the license agreement.

    ^^-^^ 08:15:00 up 4 days, 8:13, 3 users, load average: 4.38, 4.37, 4.34

  7. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 20:49:00 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:

    >>>Eh? Of course it is you PILLOCK

    >> Think you better read that license again.

    > Well I can't believe that MICROSOFT allows you to transfer a retail copy
    > of WINDOWS to another party yet Redhat doesn't!

    What you believe is irrelevant. Keep in mind we are not talking about the
    GPL license here.

    http://www.redhat.com/licenses/

    From the Redhat license agreement in question:

    2. NON-TRANSFERABLE. This Agreement, and all Services provided by Red Hat
    pursuant to this Agreement, may not be transferred, assigned or
    distributed without the prior written consent of Red Hat. Any attempted
    transfer, assignment or distribution without Red Hat's prior written
    consent shall terminate this Agreement, and Red Hat shall have no further
    obligation hereunder.

    From the Microsoft XP license agreement:

    4. TRANSFER - Internal. You may move the Product to a different
    Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the
    Product from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The
    initial user of the Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to
    another end user. The transfer has to include all component parts, media,
    printed materials, this EULA, and if applicable, the Certificate of
    Authenticity. The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a
    consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the transferred
    Product must agree to all the EULA terms. No Rental. You may not rent,
    lease, lend or provide commercial hosting services to third parties with
    the Product.

    A license agreement is just that. If it says you can't transfer it you
    can't.

    Looks to me like you can't sell either of them, but I guess that depends
    on how Microsoft defines consignment.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  8. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > From the Redhat license agreement in question:
    >
    > 2. NON-TRANSFERABLE. This Agreement, and all Services provided by Red Hat
    > pursuant to this Agreement, may not be transferred, assigned or
    > distributed without the prior written consent of Red Hat. Any attempted
    > transfer, assignment or distribution without Red Hat's prior written
    > consent shall terminate this Agreement, and Red Hat shall have no further
    > obligation hereunder.

    I saw this. it seems to me this refers to the PAID support subscription,
    NOT the software itself. The word "services" is pertinent.

    The MS EULA allows a Retail copy of XP to be LEGALLY sold or otherwise
    transfered to a third party as long as they get everything, manual, COA,
    the works.

  9. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:21:18 +0100, Gordon wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> From the Redhat license agreement in question:
    >>
    >> 2. NON-TRANSFERABLE. This Agreement, and all Services provided by Red
    >> Hat pursuant to this Agreement, may not be transferred, assigned or
    >> distributed without the prior written consent of Red Hat. Any attempted
    >> transfer, assignment or distribution without Red Hat's prior written
    >> consent shall terminate this Agreement, and Red Hat shall have no
    >> further obligation hereunder.

    > I saw this. it seems to me this refers to the PAID support subscription,
    > NOT the software itself. The word "services" is pertinent.

    The software license agreement is GPL and is transferable by definition.

    The only useful license you get when you pay for RH9 Pro Workstation box
    is the service agreement. Which is what we've been talking about. There is
    no RH proprietary software in that box.

    You would therefore be paying the OP $50 for software you can download for
    free, manuals you can download for free and a RedHat Service Activation
    card that's not worth the paper it's printed on.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  10. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    Ivan Marsh wrote (in part):

    > The only useful license you get when you pay for RH9 Pro Workstation box
    > is the service agreement. Which is what we've been talking about. There is
    > no RH proprietary software in that box.

    You don't get nuttin when you pay for RH9, because it was discontinued years
    ago. I believe you got a 1-year subscription to Red Hat Network with it
    (long since expired) so up2date would keep your system up to date.

    ^^-^^ 16:35:00 up 4 days, 16:33, 3 users, load average: 4.48, 4.25, 4.08

  11. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    Gordy wrote:

    > Included: Retail box, 9 CD's, Installation Guide, RedHat Service
    > Activation card. I am asking $50 + shipping (in the USA only).
    >
    > If you are interested, please leave an email address. Thanks

    SOLD!

  12. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    Jean-David Beyer writes:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote (in part):
    >
    > > The only useful license you get when you pay for RH9 Pro Workstation box
    > > is the service agreement. Which is what we've been talking about. There is
    > > no RH proprietary software in that box.

    > You don't get nuttin when you pay for RH9, because it was discontinued years
    > ago. I believe you got a 1-year subscription to Red Hat Network with it
    > (long since expired) so up2date would keep your system up to date.
    >

    > --
    > .~. Jean-David Beyer Registered Linux User 85642.
    > /V\ PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A Registered Machine 241939.
    > /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey http://counter.li.org
    > ^^-^^ 16:35:00 up 4 days, 16:33, 3 users, load average: 4.48, 4.25, 4.08

    What's more, the RH rpm repositories are mainly out of date, so
    up2date has been made obsolete by apt and synaptic... the RHNetwork is
    rubbish, to put it bluntly.

    --
    Non licet pecuniam expetere pro alicui, quid partem horum verborum
    continet; haec verba pro omnibus gratis erant et manent.

  13. Re: FS: Redhat Professional Worstation (RedHat Enterprise Linux)

    John Taylor wrote:
    > Jean-David Beyer writes:
    >

    >>Ivan Marsh wrote (in part):
    >>

    >>>The only useful license you get when you pay for RH9 Pro Workstation box
    >>>is the service agreement. Which is what we've been talking about. There is
    >>>no RH proprietary software in that box.

    >>You don't get nuttin when you pay for RH9, because it was discontinued years
    >>ago. I believe you got a 1-year subscription to Red Hat Network with it
    >>(long since expired) so up2date would keep your system up to date.

    > What's more, the RH rpm repositories are mainly out of date, so
    > up2date has been made obsolete by apt and synaptic... the RHNetwork is
    > rubbish, to put it bluntly.

    I disagree. I get frequent updates from Red Hat using up2date. For example,

    I got a major update that brought RHEL3 up to release 5 on 2005-May-18

    I got an update for mozilla-nspr and mozilla-nss on 2005-May-23

    I got an update for ethereal and ethereal-gnome on 2005-May-24

    I got a kernel update and an ImageMagick update on 2005-May-25

    I got an update for openssl, openssl-devel, rh-postgresql-devel, and
    rh-postgresql-libs on 2005-June 1

    I got an update of ImageMagick on 2005-June-02

    Looks to me as though they are not obsolete.

    ^^-^^ 20:05:00 up 5 days, 2:40, 3 users, load average: 4.34, 4.32, 3.93

+ Reply to Thread