FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup - Redhat ; I've installed Samba and it's running. I need a step-by-step guide on what I need to configure to join a Windows Workgroup. Also some information on what I should expect to see when I do join the workgroup - the ...

  1. FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    I've installed Samba and it's running. I need a step-by-step guide on
    what I need to configure to join a Windows Workgroup.
    Also some information on what I should expect to see when I do join the
    workgroup - the other machines are using Windows XP and NTFS formatted HDD.

    Thanks

  2. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:10:20 +0100, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

    > I've installed Samba and it's running. I need a step-by-step guide on
    > what I need to configure to join a Windows Workgroup.

    WORKGROUP= in /etc/samba/smb.conf

    service smb restart

    > Also some information on what I should expect to see when I do join the
    > workgroup - the other machines are using Windows XP and NTFS formatted
    > HDD.

    You won't see anything.

    man smb.conf

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  3. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:10:20 +0100, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
    >

    >>I've installed Samba and it's running. I need a step-by-step guide on
    >>what I need to configure to join a Windows Workgroup.

    > WORKGROUP= in /etc/samba/smb.conf
    >
    > service smb restart
    >

    >>Also some information on what I should expect to see when I do join the
    >>workgroup - the other machines are using Windows XP and NTFS formatted
    >>HDD.

    > You won't see anything.
    >
    > man smb.conf

    So how do I share data on the Windows box with the Linux one?

  4. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    In article <3els5hF3ov6lU1@individual.net>, gordonbp1
    @yahoo.co.uk.invalid says...
    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > > On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:10:20 +0100, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
    > >

    > >>I've installed Samba and it's running. I need a step-by-step guide on
    > >>what I need to configure to join a Windows Workgroup.

    > > WORKGROUP= in /etc/samba/smb.conf
    > >
    > > service smb restart
    > >

    > >>Also some information on what I should expect to see when I do join the
    > >>workgroup - the other machines are using Windows XP and NTFS formatted
    > >>HDD.

    > > You won't see anything.
    > >
    > > man smb.conf
    > >

    > So how do I share data on the Windows box with the Linux one?

    I have many windows servers and have not been able to get this working
    either - I can see the Windows shares from my FC3 box, but the FC3 user
    only has read permission, not the permissions assigned on the Windows
    server box (windows 2003 server).

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  5. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
    > I've installed Samba and it's running. I need a step-by-step guide on
    > what I need to configure to join a Windows Workgroup.
    > Also some information on what I should expect to see when I do join the
    > workgroup - the other machines are using Windows XP and NTFS formatted HDD.
    >
    > Thanks

    Here's a simple guide (see chapter 18): http://www.brennan.id.au/

    It was written more for configuring the Linux daemon so windows clients
    can connect, however there is a small section at the bottom that details
    how to use the smbclient to connect to Windows boxes or other Samba servers.

    ie....
    findsmb
    smbclient winbox1
    smbmount //winbox1/C$ /media/winbox1/cdrive -o username=administrator

    Miles.

  6. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    Miles Brennan wrote:
    > Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
    >
    >> I've installed Samba and it's running. I need a step-by-step guide on
    >> what I need to configure to join a Windows Workgroup.
    >> Also some information on what I should expect to see when I do join the
    >> workgroup - the other machines are using Windows XP and NTFS formatted
    >> HDD.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Here's a simple guide (see chapter 18): http://www.brennan.id.au/
    >
    > It was written more for configuring the Linux daemon so windows clients
    > can connect, however there is a small section at the bottom that details
    > how to use the smbclient to connect to Windows boxes or other Samba
    > servers.
    >
    > ie....
    > findsmb
    > smbclient winbox1
    > smbmount //winbox1/C$ /media/winbox1/cdrive -o username=administrator
    >

    > Miles.

    Many thanks for the info - looks like a good site for future reference!

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk

  7. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 09:45 +0100, Gordon wrote:
    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > > On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:10:20 +0100, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
    > >

    > >>I've installed Samba and it's running. I need a step-by-step guide on
    > >>what I need to configure to join a Windows Workgroup.

    > > WORKGROUP= in /etc/samba/smb.conf
    > >
    > > service smb restart
    > >

    > >>Also some information on what I should expect to see when I do join the
    > >>workgroup - the other machines are using Windows XP and NTFS formatted
    > >>HDD.

    > > You won't see anything.
    > >
    > > man smb.conf
    > >

    > So how do I share data on the Windows box with the Linux one?

    Configure the Linux firewall! You can do it from the GUI - click on
    Applications - System Settings - Security Level (root password required)
    and then set your local network (eth0 ?) as a "trusted device". I don't
    know what other security implications this has but suddenly all the
    Windows machines become visible, in Computer/Network.

    Apart from this, the only other thing you need to do is put the Windows
    workgroup name in the smb.conf file, and you can do this from
    Applications - System Tools - Configuration Editor and then selecting
    System - smb in the sidepanel.

  8. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:14:37 +0000, Leythos wrote:

    > In article <3els5hF3ov6lU1@individual.net>, gordonbp1
    > @yahoo.co.uk.invalid says...
    >> Ivan Marsh wrote:

    >> > WORKGROUP= in /etc/samba/smb.conf
    >> >
    >> > service smb restart

    >> > You won't see anything.
    >> >
    >> > man smb.conf
    >> >

    >> So how do I share data on the Windows box with the Linux one?

    > I have many windows servers and have not been able to get this working
    > either - I can see the Windows shares from my FC3 box, but the FC3 user
    > only has read permission, not the permissions assigned on the Windows
    > server box (windows 2003 server).

    Okay... well, contrary to unpopular belief and a lot of traffic on the
    newsgroups SAMBA and XP work and play just fine with each other even if
    SP2 is installed.

    The quick and dirty SAMBA setup guide:

    First things first, make it part of a workgroup:

    WORKGROUP=MYWORKGROUP - should be caps and the exact name of the workgroup
    or domain your windows boxes are in. This should NOT be over eight
    characters or have any spaces or underscores in it. (though, otherwise, it
    may work with linux, and probably will; these rules were established for
    NT 4.0, not Linux)

    Check hosts allow:

    hosts allow= - if commented out all hosts are allowed.

    Check browsemaster/domainmaster sections.

    Most of these options can be left default without affecting function. I
    like to turn most of it off because I'm connected to a MS domain that
    takes care of all this stuff just fine.

    Create a share:

    [test]
    comment = This is a test share
    browseable = yes # will show up in network neighborhood
    path = /var/test
    valid users = @users # allow access for the "users" group
    public = no # must have explicit rights to share (no guest)
    writeable = yes
    printable = no # ALL non-printers should have this entry
    create mask = 0660
    directory mask = 0770

    Restart the service:

    service smb restart.

    Create your samba/windows account mapping with smbpasswd. This tells samba
    what windows user to map to what linux user.

    At this point you should be able to see your linux box in the network
    neighborhood with a share "test".

    If you can't:

    Run testparm - this will evaluate your /etc/samba/smb.conf and tell you if
    you have any errors in it.

    Is the firewall on your Linux box blocking the traffic?

    Is the firewall on your XP box blocking the traffic? ...REMEMBER: if
    you've loaded service pack 2 for XP your machine is blocking ALL ACK and
    broadcast traffic to your machine by default. I don't use the SP2/XP
    firewall because it's, well, a complete POS. I use the free version of the
    Sygate firewall on my Windows boxes because it allows for a more flexible,
    easier setup.

    If it still doesn't work:

    Do you have a domain name resolution issue with either machine? If a
    machine can't identify itself to itself it can't be expected to
    identify itself to any other machine. Check your Windows boxes and make
    sure their host files, DNS servers, routes, etc are correct. Check the
    same on the linux box (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolve.conf).

    BTW: the default for the /etc/hosts file on some Linux distros are
    incorrect, or at least, not correct enough for some software to run
    correctly. I think they do it this way by default so that everything
    will work at install. This is in the form:

    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost .

    This, in my opinion, is a malformed hosts file and it doesn't surprise me
    that some things don't work.

    the hosts file should be:

    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    .
    The first form makes all traffic hit the loopback before it gets to the
    correct interface. The second form properly segregates loopback and
    network traffic and should even improve performance in general.

    Assuming all this has been done you shouldn't be able to tell the
    difference between your SAMBA server and any Windows box on your network
    (except maybe the SAMBA server doesn't fail quite as much... sorry, had to.)

    Beyond this you're out of the normal *gotcha* stuff for SAMBA and some
    detail troubleshooting will have to be done.

    Once you have this working I'll be happy to work out the: "well, now I can
    see the share but it always says access denied" question.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  9. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    In article , annoyed@you.now
    says...
> [...]

    > that some things don't work.
    >
    > the hosts file should be:
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    > . >
    > The first form makes all traffic hit the loopback before it gets to the
    > correct interface. The second form properly segregates loopback and
    > network traffic and should even improve performance in general.
    >
    > Assuming all this has been done you shouldn't be able to tell the
    > difference between your SAMBA server and any Windows box on your network
    > (except maybe the SAMBA server doesn't fail quite as much... sorry, had to.)
    >
    > Beyond this you're out of the normal *gotcha* stuff for SAMBA and some
    > detail troubleshooting will have to be done.
    >
    > Once you have this working I'll be happy to work out the: "well, now I can
    > see the share but it always says access denied" question.

    Thanks for all the info. I have Windows 2003 servers that I'm trying to
    access using my FC3 box, so it's not really a work group, but I
    understand the idea.

    I can use the netbios name instead of the DNS name, the FC3 box can ping
    the server by name without any problem, I can get a full list of shares
    and folders and even files, but when I double click on a document it
    gives me a permission error.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

  10. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 03:10:49 +0000, Leythos wrote:

    > In article , annoyed@you.now
    > says...
    >>
    >> Assuming all this has been done you shouldn't be able to tell the
    >> difference between your SAMBA server and any Windows box on your network
    >> (except maybe the SAMBA server doesn't fail quite as much... sorry, had to.)
    >>
    >> Beyond this you're out of the normal *gotcha* stuff for SAMBA and some
    >> detail troubleshooting will have to be done.
    >>
    >> Once you have this working I'll be happy to work out the: "well, now I can
    >> see the share but it always says access denied" question.

    > Thanks for all the info. I have Windows 2003 servers that I'm trying to
    > access using my FC3 box, so it's not really a work group, but I
    > understand the idea.

    Workgroup/Domain... it's the same thing to anything that can't register
    itself in active directory.

    > I can use the netbios name instead of the DNS name, the FC3 box can ping
    > the server by name without any problem, I can get a full list of shares
    > and folders and even files, but when I double click on a document it
    > gives me a permission error.

    Okay... at this point you need to start thinking about SAMBA the same way
    you think about making shares under Windows.

    I'm assuming you've created the account mapping necessary with smbpasswd.
    If that mapping isn't there nothing is going to work right.

    Share permissions != filesystem permissions.

    If, under Windows, you create a share "test" that shares c:\tempdir and
    give the TESTSHARE group rights to the share, you still can't do anything
    with that share, even if you're a member of the TESTSHARE group, unless
    the TESTSHARE group has filesystem rights to c:\tempdir.

    The same is true of SAMBA.

    Creating a share under SAMBA:

    [myfiles]
    comment = test share
    browseable = yes
    path = /var/myfiles
    valid users = @users
    public = no
    writeable = yes
    printable = no
    create mask = 0660
    directory mask = 0770

    You can control read/write permissions to the share with the share...
    But you cannot give someone rights to the filesystem with the share.

    In this example if the group "users" doesn't have filesystem access to the
    /var/myfiles directory members of the "users" group still have no rights
    to the share.

    So, if /var/myfiles has permissions/ownership "drwxrwx--- root:root" you
    won't be able to get to the share even if you're a member of "users".

    I set up my SAMBA shares so they have the permissions/ownership they need
    and so they will maintain that p/o in all the subdirectories when new
    files/dirs are created.

    The /var/myfiles directory would then need to be "drwxrws--- root:users".

    If you're not familiar with the "s" in the directory permissions that's
    the SGID flag. Set it with chmod g+s . That flag means all
    directories created under that directory will keep the group ownership of
    the parent directory.

    With those permissions set and the create/directory mask entries in the
    shares all new files and dirs written to the share will maintain the
    correct p/o and file rights.

    Dropping a file into that share from Windows will create the file with the
    p/o "rw-rw---- :users" and a new directory will be
    created as "drwxrws--- :users" which is what you want.

    If the rights aren't set up to maintain proper p/o and file rights you
    will end up in a position where you can write a file to a share but then
    you and/or others in your group have no rights to the file because the
    file would end up marked with permissions from your default UMASK and will
    belong to :. Which means you will
    still be able to get to the file but no one else from the "users" group
    will be able to.

    This may seem confusing at first but it's exactly the same way Windows
    works... it just seems like it isn't.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  11. Re: FC3 - trying to join a Windows Workgroup

    Thanks for the details, I will try this later this week. You've given me
    a lot to think about and a better understanding.

    Thanks!

    In article , annoyed@you.now
    says...

+ Reply to Thread