Newbie Trying to Connect to SCO Unix Can't Send PF1-PF4 or F8 or F10 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Newbie Trying to Connect to SCO Unix Can't Send PF1-PF4 or F8 or F10 - Redhat ; I just converted 8 systems to Linux and I'm ready to access the company server that runs SCO Unix. I used to use Terra Term Pro. I start xterm, gnome-terminal, aterm, etc., telnet to the server, login, but to my ...

  1. Newbie Trying to Connect to SCO Unix Can't Send PF1-PF4 or F8 or F10

    I just converted 8 systems to Linux and I'm ready to access the company
    server that runs SCO Unix. I used to use Terra Term Pro. I start xterm,
    gnome-terminal, aterm, etc., telnet to the server, login, but to my
    frustration I can't run the main menu.

    It seems I need to send PF1, PF2, PF3, PF4, F8, and F10 from my keyboard in
    order to move around the menu. I've wasted three days hunting the Net and
    experimenting yet I can't figure it out. I've tried xmodmap and I've tried
    the escape sequence mapping in gnome-terminal. Running XEV says that F10 is
    F10. I've even gotton XEV to agree that my numlock is generating PF1.
    Still, when I try to move through the menus I get no response at all.

    If I telnet in from outside x-windows at least the F10 key works. Now-
    before my boss finds out I've got 8 useless machines, how do I get this
    system to transmit the right codes so that I can get some work done?

    BTW- the company server used to be accessed by dumb terminals (WYSE 60 if I
    remember). Terra term in Windows works fine when set to VT100.

    Please save me from returning to Windows!

    Thanks,
    Ric

  2. Re: Newbie Trying to Connect to SCO Unix Can't Send PF1-PF4 or F8 or F10

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:57:30 -0500, Ric K. mumbled something like this:

    > BTW- the company server used to be accessed by dumb terminals (WYSE 60 if
    > I remember). Terra term in Windows works fine when set to VT100.

    Did you try setting the xterm to VT100?

    --
    Rinso
    /\

  3. Re: Newbie Trying to Connect to SCO Unix Can't Send PF1-PF4 or F8 or F10

    I'm pretty sure I followed the manual. Some of the sites I've reviewed said
    VT100 was the default (I've tried at least 3 different terminal programs).
    I've typed in xterm -ti100 and xterm -ti 100.

    Ric

    "Rincewind" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.03.07.20.25.26.126248@unseen.edu...
    > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:57:30 -0500, Ric K. mumbled something like this:
    >
    >> BTW- the company server used to be accessed by dumb terminals (WYSE 60 if
    >> I remember). Terra term in Windows works fine when set to VT100.

    > Did you try setting the xterm to VT100?
    >
    > --
    > Rinso
    > /\
    > / \
    > /wizz\
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Re: Newbie Trying to Connect to SCO Unix Can't Send PF1-PF4 or F8 or F10

    I am in the exact same boat. I am curious what your final solution was. I have dug through probaly close to triple digits of documentation at this point on trying to find a way to make the xterm or gnome-terminal behave in a way that works with SCO. Setting Term=vt100 seems to fix wierd display issues but the function keys won't work.

    My solutions so far are these. Run putty in wine (I know, I know ) and choose the SCO functionality in keyboard setups in the SCO options. Or something slightly more friendly, install pterm (which is putty ported over) and run it with this:
    pterm -xrm 'LinuxFunctionKeys: 5' -xrm 'TerminalType: xterm' -cs 'ISO-8859-1'

    It looks crappy for the line drawing for some reason, but at least the function keys work.

  5. Re: Newbie Trying to Connect to SCO Unix Can't Send PF1-PF4 or F8 or F10

    I am in the exact same boat. I am curious what your final solution was. I have dug through probably close to triple digits of documentation at this point on trying to find a way to make the xterm or gnome-terminal behave in a way that works with SCO. Setting Term=vt100 seems to fix weird display issues but the function keys won't work.

    My solutions so far are these. Run putty in wine (I know, I know ) and choose the SCO functionality in keyboard setups in the SCO options. Or something slightly more friendly, install pterm (which is putty ported over) and run it with this:
    Code:
     pterm -xrm 'LinuxFunctionKeys: 5' -xrm 'TerminalType: xterm' -cs 'ISO-8859-1'
    It looks crappy for the line drawing for some reason, but at least the function keys work.

+ Reply to Thread