Automount ? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Automount ? - Redhat ; how to configure automount to mount my 250 GB secondary HDD which is shown in hardware browser ?...

  1. Automount ?

    how to configure automount to mount my 250 GB secondary HDD which is
    shown in hardware browser ?

  2. Re: Automount ?

    Zed Wyx writes:
    >how to configure automount to mount my 250 GB secondary HDD which is
    >shown in hardware browser ?

    Why do you want to use automount for this? Just mount it.

    man fstab.

    scott

  3. Automount Fedora C3 64 bit?

    Zed Wyx wrote:
    how to configure automount to mount my 250 GB secondary HDD which is
    shown in hardware browser ?

  4. Re: Automount ?

    Scott Lurndal wrote:
    > Zed Wyx writes:
    >
    >>how to configure automount to mount my 250 GB secondary HDD which is
    >>shown in hardware browser ?

    > Why do you want to use automount for this? Just mount it.
    >
    > man fstab.
    >
    > scott

    it seems it is not as easy as it should on my 64 bit Fedora c3 machine

    Thank u anyway,
    Zed

  5. Re: Automount ?

    Zed Wyx wrote:
    > Scott Lurndal wrote:
    >
    >> Zed Wyx writes:
    >>
    >>> how to configure automount to mount my 250 GB secondary HDD which is
    >>> shown in hardware browser ?

    >> Why do you want to use automount for this? Just mount it.
    >>
    >> man fstab.
    >>
    >> scott

    > it seems it is not as easy as it should on my 64 bit Fedora c3 machine
    >
    > Thank u anyway,
    > Zed

    When I try to mount /dev/hdb as shown in the KDE hardware browser, the
    following unhelpful error message is given:

    mount: can't find /dev/hdb in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

    which is surprising since the drive is known to the hardware browser and
    was identified during FC3 installation. FC3 is installed on a partition
    of hda.

    One wonders why and how FC3 fails to make available a known FAT32 250GB
    hdd subsequent to installation-nothging was asked about wanting to use
    this drive or not.

    And why can the KDE hardware browser see it if it's not in the
    /etc/fstab or in /etc/mtab ?

    This seems to be a pretty poor performance by the system.

    Also the built-in soundcard was recognised during installation, but was
    subsequently dumb. Issuing the command system-config-soundcard caused it
    to be correctly identified again and test sounds to be played. But that
    surely should not have been necessary post installation ?

+ Reply to Thread