  1. no /dev/pilot for pilot-link to use

    I have an FC3 box with a Kyocera 7135 smartphone connected via USB.
    Everything works in windows so I know it isn't a hardware problem.

    The problem is that there is no /dev/pilot. The FAQ at pilot-link.org
    says to create a symbolic link with that name to the port that the pilot
    is hooked up to. I don't know what port it is hooked up to. How do I
    figure it out?

  2. Re: no /dev/pilot for pilot-link to use

    Mark Healey wrote:
    > I have an FC3 box with a Kyocera 7135 smartphone connected via USB.
    > Everything works in windows so I know it isn't a hardware problem.
    >
    > The problem is that there is no /dev/pilot. The FAQ at pilot-link.org
    > says to create a symbolic link with that name to the port that the pilot
    > is hooked up to. I don't know what port it is hooked up to. How do I
    > figure it out?

    Enter dmesg in a console window. Does that tell you anything?

    - Ketil

    --
    remove 2x "ugyldig" to mail me

  3. Re: no /dev/pilot for pilot-link to use

    Mark Healey wrote:
    > I have an FC3 box with a Kyocera 7135 smartphone connected via USB.
    > Everything works in windows so I know it isn't a hardware problem.
    >
    > The problem is that there is no /dev/pilot. The FAQ at pilot-link.org
    > says to create a symbolic link with that name to the port that the pilot
    > is hooked up to. I don't know what port it is hooked up to. How do I
    > figure it out?

    If it connects through USB, it is likely using the VISOR driver. I
    checked the header (visor.h) and found this, which seems to match your
    phone:

    { USB_DEVICE(KYOCERA_VENDOR_ID, KYOCERA_7135_ID),

    There is a web site with how-to information on devices using this driver
    (I have a Palm Zire myself, which also uses a USB connection through the
    visor driver). You'll find it at
    http://usbvisor.sourceforge.net/index.php3

    Take a look - it may have some answers for you.

    What SHOULD happen is that when you connect via USB, "hotplug" will get
    invoked, and from there it can make a link from the particular usb
    serial port to /dev/pilot . I haven't seen any evidence that this is in
    the stock hotplug scripts so it may take some fiddling. Or, you can just
    add a link yourself if you can figure out which serial device maps to
    your USB device (dmesg may help here as hotplug and the visor driver
    will generate some messages when the USB device gets connected).

  4. Re: no /dev/pilot for pilot-link to use

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:43:00 +0100, Ketil Wendelbo Aanensen wrote:

    > Mark Healey wrote:
    >> I have an FC3 box with a Kyocera 7135 smartphone connected via USB.
    >> Everything works in windows so I know it isn't a hardware problem.
    >>
    >> The problem is that there is no /dev/pilot. The FAQ at pilot-link.org
    >> says to create a symbolic link with that name to the port that the pilot
    >> is hooked up to. I don't know what port it is hooked up to. How do I
    >> figure it out?

    > Enter dmesg in a console window. Does that tell you anything?

    Lots of stuff I don't understand. What should I be looking for?

  5. Re: no /dev/pilot for pilot-link to use

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:50:13 -0500, Jim Patterson wrote:

    > Mark Healey wrote:
    >> I have an FC3 box with a Kyocera 7135 smartphone connected via USB.
    >> Everything works in windows so I know it isn't a hardware problem.
    >>
    >> The problem is that there is no /dev/pilot. The FAQ at pilot-link.org
    >> says to create a symbolic link with that name to the port that the pilot
    >> is hooked up to. I don't know what port it is hooked up to. How do I
    >> figure it out?

    > If it connects through USB, it is likely using the VISOR driver. I
    > checked the header (visor.h) and found this, which seems to match your
    > phone:
    >
    > { USB_DEVICE(KYOCERA_VENDOR_ID, KYOCERA_7135_ID),
    >
    > There is a web site with how-to information on devices using this driver
    > (I have a Palm Zire myself, which also uses a USB connection through the
    > visor driver). You'll find it at
    > http://usbvisor.sourceforge.net/index.php3
    >
    > Take a look - it may have some answers for you.

    I didn't understand pretty much any of what I read.

    > What SHOULD happen is that when you connect via USB, "hotplug" will get
    > invoked, and from there it can make a link from the particular usb
    > serial port to /dev/pilot . I haven't seen any evidence that this is in
    > the stock hotplug scripts so it may take some fiddling. Or, you can just
    > add a link yourself if you can figure out which serial device maps to
    > your USB device (dmesg may help here as hotplug and the visor driver
    > will generate some messages when the USB device gets connected).

    So, You're saying I should plug it it after I boot? It is usually there
    charging (sucky battery life). Or, are you saying I should hit the sync
    button on the cradle and then look at dmesg. What should I look for in
    dmesg anyway?

  6. Re: no /dev/pilot for pilot-link to use

    Jim Patterson wrote:
    > Mark Healey wrote:
    >
    >> I have an FC3 box with a Kyocera 7135 smartphone connected via USB.
    >> Everything works in windows so I know it isn't a hardware problem.
    >>
    >> The problem is that there is no /dev/pilot. The FAQ at pilot-link.org
    >> says to create a symbolic link with that name to the port that the pilot
    >> is hooked up to. I don't know what port it is hooked up to. How do I
    >> figure it out?

    > If it connects through USB, it is likely using the VISOR driver. I
    > checked the header (visor.h) and found this, which seems to match your
    > phone:
    >
    > { USB_DEVICE(KYOCERA_VENDOR_ID, KYOCERA_7135_ID),
    >
    > There is a web site with how-to information on devices using this driver
    > (I have a Palm Zire myself, which also uses a USB connection through the
    > visor driver). You'll find it at
    > http://usbvisor.sourceforge.net/index.php3
    >
    > Take a look - it may have some answers for you.
    >
    > What SHOULD happen is that when you connect via USB, "hotplug" will get
    > invoked, and from there it can make a link from the particular usb
    > serial port to /dev/pilot . I haven't seen any evidence that this is in
    > the stock hotplug scripts so it may take some fiddling. Or, you can just
    > add a link yourself if you can figure out which serial device maps to
    > your USB device (dmesg may help here as hotplug and the visor driver
    > will generate some messages when the USB device gets connected).

    Go here:

    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/

    and scroll down towards the bottom of the page for the section on Palm
    Pilots.

    FC3 uses 'udev' and it requires some different handling for certain devices.

    HTH,

    Marc Schwartz

  7. Re: no /dev/pilot for pilot-link to use

    I use FC3
    I followed that paged and it worked for me.
    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/
    I updated the kernel and bugs told from that page. Very easy with
    up2date.

    Created that file "10-custum.rules" and inserted the line told.

    Though you need also make a link.
    # ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot

    Then you will be able to use evolution.
    If you want to use another program it may needs another link like
    /dev/palm or similar. Make the same link changing name.

    Probably you will need to press the sync boton of your palm in order to
    give signal and create the file ttyUSB1. When the signal is gone, the
    file disapears. Make that link with the file listed in /dev.

    Do this also
    # chmod 666 ttyUSB1
    for permissions to users accounts to use the palm
    Now it should work. Actually It worked to me perfectly.

  8. Re: no /dev/pilot for pilot-link to use

    Mark Healey wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:50:13 -0500, Jim Patterson wrote:
    >

    >>Mark Healey wrote:

    >> So, You're saying I should plug it it after I boot? It is usually there
    >> charging (sucky battery life). Or, are you saying I should hit the sync
    >> button on the cradle and then look at dmesg. What should I look for in
    >> dmesg anyway?

    The sequence is pretty odd with the Pilot USB devices. I don't think it
    matters when you plug it in; what matters is when you hit the hotsync
    button. The USB device isn't actually created until you do that, so you
    have to start the sync from the palm (phone), and then run pilot-xfer or
    whatever you're using to sync with. You'll need to set up the
    /dev/pilot link as someone described above, or just specify the port via
    -p/dev/ttyUSB1 (if you're using pilot-xfer). You need permissiosn to the
    device as well; the "udev" manpage has info on that.

    The link I posted leads to this one
    http://www.linuxpda.com/visor/howto/current/t1.html, which had a few
    bits of information like that. Mostly it's just info on rebuilding a
    kernel etc., though, which you shouldn't need to do on FC3.

  9. Re: no /dev/pilot for pilot-link to use

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:56:50 -0500, Jim Patterson wrote:

    > Mark Healey wrote:
    >> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 23:50:13 -0500, Jim Patterson wrote:
    >>

    >>>Mark Healey wrote:

    >>> So, You're saying I should plug it it after I boot? It is usually there
    >>> charging (sucky battery life). Or, are you saying I should hit the sync
    >>> button on the cradle and then look at dmesg. What should I look for in
    >>> dmesg anyway?

    > The sequence is pretty odd with the Pilot USB devices. I don't think it
    > matters when you plug it in; what matters is when you hit the hotsync
    > button. The USB device isn't actually created until you do that, so you
    > have to start the sync from the palm (phone), and then run pilot-xfer or
    > whatever you're using to sync with. You'll need to set up the
    > /dev/pilot link as someone described above, or just specify the port via
    > -p/dev/ttyUSB1 (if you're using pilot-xfer). You need permissiosn to the
    > device as well; the "udev" manpage has info on that.

    Some progress, When I hotsync I get ttyUSB0 and ttySUB1 in /dev. When
    the phone times out they go away. Now I need to know how to get the
    SYSFS{whatever} info about my phone. In my
    /etc/udev/rules.d I have 10-wacom.rules and 50-udev.rules. I was planning
    to create 05-marks.rules by cribbing the lines that create ttyUSB0 and
    ttyUSB1 and modifying them. I couldn't find them in 50-udev.rules or
    10-wacom.rules.

    Is this some hardcoded default I'm dealing with? Where do I look next?

+ Reply to Thread