Fedora printing from the command line - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora printing from the command line - Redhat ; Previously ran RH 8 on a low end P2 PC. Using the GUI to set up printing services allowed easy lpr activities from that server to a network attached printer. Recently installed a fresh copy of Fedora Core 3 on ...

  1. Fedora printing from the command line

    Previously ran RH 8 on a low end P2 PC. Using the GUI to set up
    printing services allowed easy lpr activities from that server to a
    network attached printer.

    Recently installed a fresh copy of Fedora Core 3 on that low end PC. Of
    course Fedora would not allow me to load the GUI. So now how do I get
    lpr functions working? There appears to be no "cups" or "lpd" command
    nor man pages from them. I did copy the content or the /etc/printcap
    file from RH8 to the FC3 disk, but can't seem to start the deamon.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Fedora printing from the command line

    Tom Raab wrote:
    > Previously ran RH 8 on a low end P2 PC. Using the GUI to set up
    > printing services allowed easy lpr activities from that server to a
    > network attached printer.
    >
    > Recently installed a fresh copy of Fedora Core 3 on that low end PC. Of
    > course Fedora would not allow me to load the GUI. So now how do I get
    > lpr functions working? There appears to be no "cups" or "lpd" command
    > nor man pages from them. I did copy the content or the /etc/printcap
    > file from RH8 to the FC3 disk, but can't seem to start the deamon.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Silly question - but have you just tried "lpr filename". lpr should be
    part of the default installtion.

    If that doesn't work try to update with yum - I haven't tried this so
    can't comment.

  3. Re: Fedora printing from the command line

    On 2005-01-22, Tom Raab wrote:
    > Previously ran RH 8 on a low end P2 PC. Using the GUI to set up
    > printing services allowed easy lpr activities from that server to a
    > network attached printer.
    >
    > Recently installed a fresh copy of Fedora Core 3 on that low end PC. Of
    > course Fedora would not allow me to load the GUI. So now how do I get
    > lpr functions working? There appears to be no "cups" or "lpd" command
    > nor man pages from them. I did copy the content or the /etc/printcap
    > file from RH8 to the FC3 disk, but can't seem to start the deamon.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Is there a system-config-printer-tui command (FC2 in /usr/bin/).
    There should be system-config-printer-gui (graphics user interface)
    and system-config-printer-tui (text user interface)

  4. Re: Fedora printing from the command line

    Spamless wrote:
    > On 2005-01-22, Tom Raab wrote:
    >
    >>Previously ran RH 8 on a low end P2 PC. Using the GUI to set up
    >>printing services allowed easy lpr activities from that server to a
    >>network attached printer.
    >>
    >>Recently installed a fresh copy of Fedora Core 3 on that low end PC. Of
    >>course Fedora would not allow me to load the GUI. So now how do I get
    >>lpr functions working? There appears to be no "cups" or "lpd" command
    >>nor man pages from them. I did copy the content or the /etc/printcap
    >>file from RH8 to the FC3 disk, but can't seem to start the deamon.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

    > Is there a system-config-printer-tui command (FC2 in /usr/bin/).
    > There should be system-config-printer-gui (graphics user interface)
    > and system-config-printer-tui (text user interface)

    Thank you.

    That helped a bunch. Now I just have to figure out some of the info the
    last item is looking for.

  5. Re: Fedora printing from the command line

    Tom Raab writes:
    >Spamless wrote:
    >> On 2005-01-22, Tom Raab wrote:
    >>
    >>>Previously ran RH 8 on a low end P2 PC. Using the GUI to set up
    >>>printing services allowed easy lpr activities from that server to a
    >>>network attached printer.
    >>>
    >>>Recently installed a fresh copy of Fedora Core 3 on that low end PC. Of
    >>>course Fedora would not allow me to load the GUI. So now how do I get
    >>>lpr functions working? There appears to be no "cups" or "lpd" command
    >>>nor man pages from them. I did copy the content or the /etc/printcap
    >>>file from RH8 to the FC3 disk, but can't seem to start the deamon.
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?

    >> Is there a system-config-printer-tui command (FC2 in /usr/bin/).
    >> There should be system-config-printer-gui (graphics user interface)
    >> and system-config-printer-tui (text user interface)

    >Thank you.
    >
    >That helped a bunch. Now I just have to figure out some of the info the
    >last item is looking for.

    And, if you are using CUPS and cupsd is runing, you can configure it
    at the url "http://localhost:631/". You will need to set up a admin
    account with lppasswd command first.

    If you've configured FC to use LPrng, I'd recommend switching to CUPS,
    it is more powerful.

    However, cups uses SYSV commands (lp, lpadmin, lpstat) rather than
    BSD commands (lpr, lpq, lprm) although the BSD commands will still
    work properly if you switch from LPRng to CUPS using the redhat switch
    tool.

    scott

+ Reply to Thread