Where is system wide $PATH set? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Where is system wide $PATH set? - Redhat ; I just instlled nethack and it went into a directory that isn't in the path. Instead of changing the .bash_profile for every user I'd like to add it to the $PATH that has $HOME/bin attached to in in .bash_profile. TIA ...

  1. Where is system wide $PATH set?

    --
    Mark Heaely
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  2. Re: Where is system wide $PATH set?

    Mark Healey wrote:
    > I just instlled nethack and it went into a directory that isn't in the
    > path. Instead of changing the .bash_profile for every user I'd like
    > to add it to the $PATH that has $HOME/bin attached to in in
    > bash_profile.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > Mark Heaely
    > marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

    Have a look in /etc/profile.d - a directory of "scripts" that sets
    enviroment.

  3. Re: Where is system wide $PATH set?

    Mark Healey wrote:

    > I just instlled nethack and it went into a directory that isn't in the
    > path. Instead of changing the .bash_profile for every user I'd like
    > to add it to the $PATH that has $HOME/bin attached to in in
    > bash_profile.

    Do not use that method. Instead, make a symlink to your application
    in /usr/local/bin for each application that you want to share with users.
    This method is much more trouble-free than editing global search paths, and
    it is why there is a /usr/local/bin directory.

    In fact, compared to making symlinks to a directory that is already in the
    path, adding new directories to everyone's path will only slow the entire
    system down.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com