Now I can't seem to install the Flash player. - Redhat

This is a discussion on Now I can't seem to install the Flash player. - Redhat ; I downloaded it and gunzipped the file. When I tar-x the file I get nothing. just an occasional flash of the hddled on the case. What is wrong? -- Mark Heaely marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com...

  1. Now I can't seem to install the Flash player.

    --
    Mark Heaely
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  2. Re: Now I can't seem to install the Flash player.

    Mark Healey wrote:

    > I downloaded it and gunzipped the file. When I tar-x the file I get
    > nothing. just an occasional flash of the hddled on the case.
    >
    > What is wrong?

    What is wrong? Simple: you didn't tell us anything.

    What flash player program and version are you talking about?
    Where did you get the downloaded file?
    What did the installation instructions tell you to do?
    Is the file appropriate for your distribution?
    What is your distribution?
    After you "gunzipped" the file, did you do anything else?
    Did you see a README or INSTALLATION file in the unzip directory?
    Did you happen to read it?

    And so forth.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

  3. Re: Now I can't seem to install the Flash player.

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 06:59:04 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

    > I downloaded it and gunzipped the file. When I tar-x the file I get
    > nothing. just an occasional flash of the hddled on the case.
    >
    > What is wrong?

    Follow the instructions found in the file Readme.txt file, as root;

    To install the Plug-in Player for Linux via an install script, follow
    these directions:

    - This installer is script-based and cannot be run from a GUI.

    - Uncompress install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz. A directory called
    install_flash_player_7_linux is created. Navigate to this directory.

    - From the command line, type ./flashplayer-installer to run the
    installer. The installer will instruct you to shut down your browser(s).

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  4. Re: Now I can't seem to install the Flash player.

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:59:59 UTC, Lenard wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 06:59:04 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:
    >
    > > I downloaded it and gunzipped the file. When I tar-x the file I get
    > > nothing. just an occasional flash of the hddled on the case.
    > >
    > > What is wrong?

    > Follow the instructions found in the file Readme.txt file, as root;
    >
    > To install the Plug-in Player for Linux via an install script, follow
    > these directions:
    >
    > - This installer is script-based and cannot be run from a GUI.
    >
    > - Uncompress install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz. A directory called
    > install_flash_player_7_linux is created. Navigate to this directory.

    This is where the problem is. I do:

    gunzip install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz and get
    install_flash_player_7_linux.tar

    I then:

    tar -x install_flash_player_7_linux.tar

    and all I get is a periodic flash of the HDD led on the cpu case. I
    let this go for about 5 minutes and give up with CTRL-C.

    --
    Mark Heaely
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  5. Re: Now I can't seem to install the Flash player.

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:17:52 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

    > This is where the problem is. I do:
    >
    > gunzip install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

    Do;

    tar -xzf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

    cd install_flash_player_7_linux

    ../flashplayer-installer

    See 'man tar' without the quotes for the details.

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  6. Re: Now I can't seem to install the Flash player.

    I've installed flash.
    but it seems not to work when i surf webpages with mozilla.
    how do i link the flash plug-in to my browser?

  7. Re: Now I can't seem to install the Flash player.

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:34:49 UTC, Lenard wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:17:52 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:
    >
    > > This is where the problem is. I do:
    > >
    > > gunzip install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

    > Do;
    >
    > tar -xzf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

    That worked. Thanks. I still would like to know why:

    gunzip foo.tar.gz
    tar -x foo.tar

    didn't work.

    --
    Mark Heaely
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  8. Re: Now I can't seem to install the Flash player.

    Mark Healey wrote:

    / ...

    >> Do;
    >>
    >> tar -xzf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz

    > That worked. Thanks. I still would like to know why:
    >
    > gunzip foo.tar.gz
    > tar -x foo.tar
    >
    > didn't work.

    This will tell you: