Newbie screen resolution setting - Redhat

This is a discussion on Newbie screen resolution setting - Redhat ; Hello, I just installed Linux Fedora on a Virtual PC with standard settings. How can I set the screen resolution higher? The program in the menu only allows maximum 800*600. Guus...

  1. Newbie screen resolution setting

    Hello,

    I just installed Linux Fedora on a Virtual PC with standard settings. How
    can I set the screen resolution higher? The program in the menu only allows
    maximum 800*600.

    Guus

  2. Re: Newbie screen resolution setting

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:51:21 +0800, Guus Ellenkamp wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I just installed Linux Fedora on a Virtual PC with standard settings.
    > How can I set the screen resolution higher? The program in the menu only
    > allows maximum 800*600.

    You posted this question two days ago, please read my response.

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  3. Re: Newbie screen resolution setting

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:51:21 +0800, Guus Ellenkamp wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I just installed Linux Fedora on a Virtual PC with standard settings.
    >>How can I set the screen resolution higher? The program in the menu only
    >>allows maximum 800*600.

    > You posted this question two days ago, please read my response.

    I am not the O.P., but was glad to see your response (even though
    supernews does not handle that newsgroup so I had to use google).

    I could set the resolution simply by adding 1024x768 to the list, and,
    strangely enough, it gave me lots more choices when I did that, not just
    the one I added.

    But it makes little difference. When I go to Start->Preferences->Screen
    Resolution, here too it gives me only 800x600 and 600x480. I assume there
    is a corresponding file for this. Where might it be?

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 10:15:00 up 14 days, 21:19, 3 users, load average: 4.06, 4.10, 4.14

  4. Re: Newbie screen resolution setting

    On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:24:34 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > I am not the O.P.,

    That's OK

    > I could set the resolution simply by adding 1024x768 to the list, and,
    > strangely enough, it gave me lots more choices when I did that, not just
    > the one I added.
    >
    > But it makes little difference. When I go to Start->Preferences->Screen
    > Resolution, here too it gives me only 800x600 and 600x480. I assume
    > there is a corresponding file for this. Where might it be?

    Actually the same package is called, open a xterm session and simply type
    '/usr/bin/system-config-displayed' without the quotes, if your not root
    you will be asked to supply the password.

    The hardware database (hwdata-0.140-1.noarch.rpm is the latest version)
    holds the information you might be looking for.

    $ rpm -qli hwdata-0.140-1 (in your case use hwdata-0.120-1 here)

    Description :
    hwdata contains various hardware identification and configuration data,
    such as the pci.ids database, or the XFree86 compatibility database.
    /etc/hotplug/blacklist
    /etc/pcmcia
    /etc/pcmcia/config
    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards
    /usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.140
    /usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.140/COPYING
    /usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.140/LICENSE
    /usr/share/hwdata
    /usr/share/hwdata/CardMonitorCombos
    /usr/share/hwdata/Cards
    /usr/share/hwdata/MonitorsDB

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

  5. Re: Newbie screen resolution setting

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:24:34 -0400, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    >

    >>I am not the O.P.,

    > That's OK
    >

    >>I could set the resolution simply by adding 1024x768 to the list, and,
    >>strangely enough, it gave me lots more choices when I did that, not just
    >>the one I added.
    >>
    >>But it makes little difference. When I go to Start->Preferences->Screen
    >>Resolution, here too it gives me only 800x600 and 600x480. I assume
    >>there is a corresponding file for this. Where might it be?

    > Actually the same package is called, open a xterm session and simply type
    > '/usr/bin/system-config-displayed' without the quotes, if your not root
    > you will be asked to supply the password.

    Yes, but it gives me only the old two small choices. I did not have to be
    root. Maybe I should try it as root?

    > The hardware database (hwdata-0.140-1.noarch.rpm is the latest version)
    > holds the information you might be looking for.

    Perhaps. I downloaded it, but it will not install because it conflicts
    with kudzu. I do not want to start monkeying around by replacing kudzu as
    I fear the dragons from dependency hell that way.

    > $ rpm -qli hwdata-0.140-1 (in your case use hwdata-0.120-1 here)

    I did that and got a similar list.

    /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards looked like it might matter, but it is just a
    symlink to /usr/share/hwdata/Cards. That is concerned only with the video
    boards and not with the screen resolution desired by individual users.

    /usr/share/hwdata/MonitorsDB is concerned only with sweep rates.

    /usr/share/hwdata/CardMonitorCombos does not refer to many monitor-cards.

    > Description :
    > hwdata contains various hardware identification and configuration data,
    > such as the pci.ids database, or the XFree86 compatibility database.
    > /etc/hotplug/blacklist
    > /etc/pcmcia
    > /etc/pcmcia/config
    > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards
    > /usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.140
    > /usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.140/COPYING
    > /usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.140/LICENSE
    > /usr/share/hwdata
    > /usr/share/hwdata/CardMonitorCombos
    > /usr/share/hwdata/Cards
    > /usr/share/hwdata/MonitorsDB

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 11:55:00 up 14 days, 22:59, 4 users, load average: 4.44, 4.21, 4.19

+ Reply to Thread