apropos not working - Redhat

This is a discussion on apropos not working - Redhat ; hello there i have been facing a problem for last few days. the apropos command in my redhat 7.1 installation is not working even for standard keywords. the output message is - 'apropos:nothing appropriate' this happens even for 'apropos gcc' ...

  1. apropos not working

    hello there

    i have been facing a problem for last few days.
    the apropos command in my redhat 7.1 installation is not working
    even for standard keywords.
    the output message is -
    'apropos:nothing appropriate'
    this happens even for
    'apropos gcc' which used to work before.

    can somebody help me out ?

    TIA
    Shreyas

  2. Re: apropos not working

    $hreya$ wrote:

    > hello there
    >
    > i have been facing a problem for last few days.
    > the apropos command in my redhat 7.1 installation is not working
    > even for standard keywords.
    > the output message is -
    > 'apropos:nothing appropriate'
    > this happens even for
    > 'apropos gcc' which used to work before.
    >
    > can somebody help me out ?

    Something has changed. Want more specific help? Offer more specific
    information. Do you log on as root regularly? Then don't. After you have
    reinstalled your Linux distribution, make sure never to log on as root.
    That will almost certainly prevent a recurrence.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

  3. Re: apropos not working

    "$hreya$" writes:
    >hello there
    >
    >i have been facing a problem for last few days.
    >the apropos command in my redhat 7.1 installation is not working
    >even for standard keywords.
    >the output message is -
    >'apropos:nothing appropriate'
    >this happens even for
    >'apropos gcc' which used to work before.
    >
    >can somebody help me out ?

    As root execute '/usr/sbin/makewhatis -u -w'.

    See /etc/cron.daily/makewhatis.cron

    scott

    (this is redhat specific).

+ Reply to Thread