Long delays in serial printing - Redhat

This is a discussion on Long delays in serial printing - Redhat ; I'm migrating a depot system from SCO Openserver to RH 3 ES, 2.4.21-4 kernel (on a Dell server). I need to connect some serial printers up. Some are line printers. But even with the newest one - an HP LaserJet ...

  1. Long delays in serial printing

    I'm migrating a depot system from SCO Openserver to RH 3 ES, 2.4.21-4 kernel
    (on a Dell server).

    I need to connect some serial printers up. Some are line printers. But even
    with the newest one - an HP LaserJet 4 Plus - when I configure it via
    printtool, it works fine, but even on a small print - say 4 pages, there's a
    4-5 minute delay before it starts.

    This is exacerbated the older and slower that the printer is.

    All works fine under system V printing under SCO.

    Is there anything special I need to - or can - do for serial, exclsuively
    text, printers to get around this problem?

    Thanks
    Neil

  2. Re: Long delays in serial printing

    Neil Truby wrote:

    > I'm migrating a depot system from SCO Openserver to RH 3 ES, 2.4.21-4
    > kernel (on a Dell server).
    >
    > I need to connect some serial printers up. Some are line printers. But
    > even with the newest one - an HP LaserJet 4 Plus - when I configure it via
    > printtool, it works fine, but even on a small print - say 4 pages, there's
    > a 4-5 minute delay before it starts.
    >
    > This is exacerbated the older and slower that the printer is.
    >
    > All works fine under system V printing under SCO.
    >
    > Is there anything special I need to - or can - do for serial, exclsuively
    > text, printers to get around this problem?

    Yes. Increase the serial interface speed. Then try to arrange to print text,
    not PDF or graphics. Almost all modern printing is accomplished by sending
    a full-size graphic image to the printer, rather than requiring the printer
    to host the fonts and other resources the print job requires. This approach
    requires a lot of bandwidth.

    I have a color laser printer and when I try to print a full page graphic, it
    takes two minutes for the job to start. The printer is connected directly
    to my 100 Mb Ethernet network. It is trivial to work out how much
    information must flow from the system to the printer, and two minutes is
    not unreasonable.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

  3. Re: Long delays in serial printing

    >> Neil Truby wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm migrating a depot system from SCO Openserver to RH 3 ES, 2.4.21-4
    >> > kernel (on a Dell server).
    >> >
    >> > I need to connect some serial printers up. Some are line printers. But
    >> > even with the newest one - an HP LaserJet 4 Plus - when I configure it

    > via
    >> > printtool, it works fine, but even on a small print - say 4 pages,

    > there's
    >> > a 4-5 minute delay before it starts.
    >> >
    >> > This is exacerbated the older and slower that the printer is.
    >> >
    >> > All works fine under system V printing under SCO.
    >> >
    >> > Is there anything special I need to - or can - do for serial,

    > exclsuively
    >> > text, printers to get around this problem?

    >> Yes. Increase the serial interface speed.

    Thanks Paul. This would be with setserial?

    >> Then try to arrange to print text, not PDF or graphics.

    Where would I look for this?

    thanks
    Neil

+ Reply to Thread