newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - please help - Redhat

This is a discussion on newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - please help - Redhat ; m.marien wrote: > There is always a certain amount of overhead so the SETI processes will > never get 100% of all the processing power. But it looks like one SETI > process takes about 25% of the available processing ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 25 of 25

  1. Re: newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - pleasehelp

    m.marien wrote:

    > There is always a certain amount of overhead so the SETI processes will
    > never get 100% of all the processing power. But it looks like one SETI
    > process takes about 25% of the available processing power or 50% of
    > one processor. So you need to run two processes per processor in order
    > to maximize the processing power.
    >
    > I guess since the demise of DOS all o/s are multithreading. But it's
    > still an interesting move on Intel's part, a processor built to take
    > advantage of the software ??? It's usually the other way around.

    Not multithreading, but multi-programming and in many cases,
    multi-processing. My machine has more than one processor, so it does
    symmetric multiprocessing. But running Linux (or any other UNIX type OS)
    means it is multi=programming as well.

    Multi-threading is something else; IMAO an inferior form of
    multi-programming where the various programs in a thread are all the same
    program, and all too often share memory whether they want to or not. Once
    in a while this is a good idea (especially on operating systems where
    process creation and destruction are expensive operations). Linux happens
    to offer multithreading to those who want it.

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 14:20:00 up 9 days, 1:24, 3 users, load average: 4.14, 4.22, 4.18

  2. Re: newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - please help

    Roger,

    I was running FC1 with no problems. Installed FC2 and had troubles,
    too. Had to swap some hardware devices to satisfy FC2 because I am
    not a device coder. On another computer I am dual-booting WinME
    (original O.S.) and FC1 on a Compaq Presario laptop. Some day I would
    like to be captain code geek and tinker with device drivers, but for
    now I will stick to being geek second class and let those in the know
    knock out the kinks.

    "m.marien" wrote in message

    > "Roger" wrote in message
    > news:BIH6d.21593$QJ3.16167@newssvr21.news.prodigy. com...
    > >
    > > Installed Fedora Core 2 earlier today. And, it does not
    > > leave a good impression. The install was successful.
    > > But, that's about it. It fails to boot. On boot,
    > > it had problems with the following:
    > >
    > > - my printer (HP LaserJet 5)
    > > - initializing USB (saying something about USB controller and
    > > dependencies)
    > > - hangs when starting "system logger"
    > > - fails to go into graphical login mode
    > >
    > > And, that's only what I remember. So, no thanks to Fedora Core 2.
    > >
    > > RH9 gave no problems whatsoever. I don't care if
    > > it's obsolete so long as it serves my needs.
    > >

    > I used FC1 for my servers. I have fewer problems if I stay back from

    the
    > leading edge. FC1 has been around for a while longer than FC2 so has

    more
    > bugs worked out. It also has an update source. There are no updates

    for
    > security problems with RH9. Not that Linux has any gaping holes, but

    if
    > others rely on it, it's better safe then sorry. It's also easier to

    apply a
    > patch rather then update to a new version if you do find a hole.

  3. Re: newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - please help

    Yeah, seems like RedHat is turning out to be just like Microsoft.

    "Roger" wrote in message
    news:qIA6d.21282$QJ3.2484@newssvr21.news.prodigy.c om...

    > Oh-no, not RHEL. Can't afford anything too pricey.
    > Is Red Hat trying to charge outrageously for
    > software that is largely contributed? If so, BOOOO!!!
    >

    > "Markku Kolkka" wrote in message
    >> Roger wrote:
    >> > I just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 for a better version of GCC.
    >> > The upgrade "appears" to be successful. Any heads ups WRT RH9?

    >> Yes, it's obsolete. Get Fedora Core 2 or Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    >> instead.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Markku Kolkka
    >> markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  4. Re: newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - please help

    Red Hat seems much worse now. With the Fedora project,
    they can keep taking contributions from the community.
    Those parts of Fedora Core that are worth merging into
    RHEL, they'll take and make $$$ at the same time.
    Leaving the contributing community with
    "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". Yeah, RIGHT !!!

    Why do you think Red Hat is buying back their own stocks?
    Because they think they're going to make a killing with
    the RHEL strategy.

    It would be foolish to contribute to anything related to Red Hat.
    Contribute elsewhere.

    "Exotic-Scales.com" wrote in message
    > Yeah, seems like RedHat is turning out to be just like Microsoft.
    >

    > "Roger" wrote in message
    > news:qIA6d.21282$QJ3.2484@newssvr21.news.prodigy.c om...
    > >
    > > Oh-no, not RHEL. Can't afford anything too pricey.
    > > Is Red Hat trying to charge outrageously for
    > > software that is largely contributed? If so, BOOOO!!!
    > >

    > > "Markku Kolkka" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Yes, it's obsolete. Get Fedora Core 2 or Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    > >> instead.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Markku Kolkka
    > >> markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  5. Re: newbie - just upgraded to RH9 from RH7.3 - any heads ups? - please help

    Roger wrote:

    > Red Hat seems much worse now. With the Fedora project,
    > they can keep taking contributions from the community.
    > Those parts of Fedora Core that are worth merging into
    > RHEL, they'll take and make $$$ at the same time.
    > Leaving the contributing community with
    > "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". Yeah, RIGHT !!!
    >
    > Why do you think Red Hat is buying back their own stocks?
    > Because they think they're going to make a killing with
    > the RHEL strategy.
    >
    > It would be foolish to contribute to anything related to Red Hat.

    You may be right about your basic point, a view I am in sympathy with, but
    the entire RHEL distribution can be downloaded for free, with no objections
    from RH. All you miss are the technical support services. There is an
    outfit called "whiteboxlinux" that offers a repackaged RHEL without the Red
    Hat logos and with no RH support.

    http://whiteboxlinux.org/

    This is in no way meant to subtract from the point you are making.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

+ Reply to Thread