Error trying to SSH onto a RedHat Linux 7.1 server - Redhat

This is a discussion on Error trying to SSH onto a RedHat Linux 7.1 server - Redhat ; Hi, I am trying to SSH onto a Linux RedHat 7.1 server from a L>inux RedHat 7.3 server and get the following error after entering the login password: malloc: block on free list clobbered last command: su - Stopping myself...Connection ...

  1. Error trying to SSH onto a RedHat Linux 7.1 server

    Hi,

    I am trying to SSH onto a Linux RedHat 7.1 server from a L>inux RedHat
    7.3 server and get the following error after entering the login
    password:

    malloc: block on free list clobbered
    last command: su -
    Stopping myself...Connection to myserver closed.

    Anyone know what this means?

    Thanks,
    Don

  2. Re: Error trying to SSH onto a RedHat Linux 7.1 server

    On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:19:22 -0700, Don wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to SSH onto a Linux RedHat 7.1 server from a L>inux RedHat
    > 7.3 server and get the following error after entering the login
    > password:
    >
    > malloc: block on free list clobbered
    > last command: su -
    > Stopping myself...Connection to myserver closed.
    >
    > Anyone know what this means?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    Don,

    When you see "malloc: block on free list clobbered", it means there has
    been a major crash.

    I'm suspecting that the problem is on the Red Hat 7.1 server and there are
    some major problems with the software there (either the system is really
    messed up or it has been hacked).

    Thats just my guess, never ran into that particular problem before.

    - -
    Mark J. Nenadov
    http://www.pythonbyte.com

  3. Re: Error trying to SSH onto a RedHat Linux 7.1 server

    > On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 06:19:22 -0700, Don wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am trying to SSH onto a Linux RedHat 7.1 server from a L>inux RedHat
    >> 7.3 server and get the following error after entering the login
    >> password:
    >>
    >> malloc: block on free list clobbered
    >> last command: su -
    >> Stopping myself...Connection to myserver closed.
    >>
    >> Anyone know what this means?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Don

    Don,

    One more thing, in order to help others help you, you may wish to specify
    whether this system has been running for quite some time without this
    problem? Also did this happen right after an upgrade?

    Also, if you google the Red Hat lists, you'll find some people with
    similar problems.

    - -
    Mark J. Nenadov
    http://www.pythonbyte.com