How to extract an RPM package under Linux? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to extract an RPM package under Linux? - Redhat ; Want to install TightVNC, but has no root previlege. The source code is given in RPM. I cannot install using RPM directly since it asks for root password. How do I just extract the files from RPM? I think I ...

  1. How to extract an RPM package under Linux?

    Want to install TightVNC, but has no root previlege.

    The source code is given in RPM. I cannot install using RPM directly since
    it asks for root password.

    How do I just extract the files from RPM?

    I think I can compile TightVNC after that...

    Thanks a lot,

    -Gino

  2. Re: How to extract an RPM package under Linux?

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:44:10 -0700, gino wrote:

    > Want to install TightVNC, but has no root previlege.
    >
    > The source code is given in RPM. I cannot install using RPM directly since
    > it asks for root password.
    >
    > How do I just extract the files from RPM?
    >
    > I think I can compile TightVNC after that...

    $ rpm2cpio foo.rpm | cpio -idv

    Cheers!

  3. Re: How to extract an RPM package under Linux?

    Tommy Reynolds writes:

    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:44:10 -0700, gino wrote:
    >
    > > Want to install TightVNC, but has no root previlege.
    > >
    > > The source code is given in RPM. I cannot install using RPM directly since
    > > it asks for root password.
    > >
    > > How do I just extract the files from RPM?
    > >
    > > I think I can compile TightVNC after that...

    > $ rpm2cpio foo.rpm | cpio -idv

    Since gino doesn't have root privileges, he may want to try:

    rpm2cpio foo.rpm | cpio -idv --no-absolute-filenames

    NOTE TO GIN0:

    Gino, you may want to try using Google once in a while. This newsgroup
    is not a paid help line. People are almost always willing to help
    others provided they have exhausted other options to try to find or
    figure out the answer themselves. I know that I learned how to extract
    rpms by googling.

    In fact the very first response to the google query: extract rpm
    gives essentially the same answer as above.
    Total time commitment on your part to get the answer would have been a
    few seconds.

    Your unwillingness to try to find the answer yourself is particularly
    galling when you seem to ask several dozen questions a day, most of
    which are well-documented elsewhere. If you want others to invest
    their time in helping you, please show some common courtesy and invest
    some of your own time first trying to answer it.

    You may find the following link helpful:
    http://www.****inggoogleit.com/

+ Reply to Thread