why cann't I startx remotely? - Redhat

This is a discussion on why cann't I startx remotely? - Redhat ; Hi folks, I started my Exceed locally and used ssh to connect to the remote side Linux box. I have set X tunneling to true. In the ssh session of connecting to the remote machine, I did the following: setenv ...

  1. why cann't I startx remotely?

    Hi folks,

    I started my Exceed locally and used ssh to connect to the remote side Linux
    box. I have set X tunneling to true.
    In the ssh session of connecting to the remote machine, I did the following:

    setenv DISPLAY xx.xx.xx.xx:0.0
    startx

    where xx.xx.xx.xx is my local PC IP address.

    Then I got the following error:
    --------------------------------------
    Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    and start again.
    --------------------------------------

    I am sure I have X window running active on my remote Linux box, so there
    can only be one X session?

    What can I do?

    Thanks a lot,

    -Gino

  2. Re: why cann't I startx remotely?

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:01:49 -0700, gino wrote:

    > In the ssh session of connecting to the remote machine, I did the following:
    >
    > setenv DISPLAY xx.xx.xx.xx:0.0
    > I am sure I have X window running active on my remote Linux box, so there
    > can only be one X session?
    > What can I do?

    You are already doing too much ;-)

    The ssh program will create the X11 tunnel for you and it will set
    the $DISPLAY variable automatically. Just don't mess with it and all
    should be well.

    Cheers!

  3. Re: why cann't I startx remotely?

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:01:49 -0700, gino wrote:

    > I started my Exceed locally and used ssh to connect to the remote side Linux
    > box. I have set X tunneling to true.

    OK. I'm legally brain dead. We all agree on that.

    I reread your original posting and realized I'd overlooked something.
    The "startx" command is for starting an X server _locally_; the X
    server must be run locally because it talks to your video device
    directly. The "exceed" software should already be providing the X
    server capability for your PC. This means that you don't need to use
    "startx" at all. Just let ssh manage the $DISPLAY variable for you
    and all should be well. I found this web site:

    http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/softwa...sshexceed.html

    that appears to know what it's talking about, but I'm not able to
    test it.

    Cheers!

  4. thank you all you guys for helping me, but I still have problem

    "gino" wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I started my Exceed locally and used ssh to connect to the remote side

    Linux
    > box. I have set X tunneling to true.
    > In the ssh session of connecting to the remote machine, I did the

    following:

    > setenv DISPLAY xx.xx.xx.xx:0.0
    > startx
    >
    > where xx.xx.xx.xx is my local PC IP address.
    >
    > Then I got the following error:
    > --------------------------------------
    > Fatal server error:
    > Server is already active for display 0
    > If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    > and start again.
    > --------------------------------------
    >
    > I am sure I have X window running active on my remote Linux box, so there
    > can only be one X session?
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > -Gino

    Dear folks,

    Thank you all so much for your help. I tried all your suggestions. They are
    very effective. Basically I was doing too much. I found out that by
    connecting my SSH client to the remote Linux box and start an Exceed
    locally, it will automatically show GUI window when any GUI program is
    lauched to remote Linux, for example, xclock, and matlab, etc. Thank you!
    Thanks to Thomas also for his nice helpful reference article.

    That helps me a lot. But what if I want not to run GUI program, but I want
    the X session itself, I used to use "startx" to start session, but still I
    got the following error message:

    Fatal server error:
    Server is already active for display 0
    If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    and start again.

    How do I start the GNOME session remotely? and how do I start KDE session
    remotely, like I start xclock, etc?

    Thanks a lot,

    -Gino.

    \

  5. Re: why cann't I startx remotely?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to linux.redhat.misc.]
    On 2004-07-14, gino wrote:

    > I started my Exceed locally and used ssh to connect to the remote side Linux
    > box. I have set X tunneling to true.
    > In the ssh session of connecting to the remote machine, I did the following:
    >
    > setenv DISPLAY xx.xx.xx.xx:0.0

    If you have the X tunneling set up, this shouldn't be necessary, but it
    shouldn't hurt either.

    > startx
    >
    > where xx.xx.xx.xx is my local PC IP address.
    >
    > Then I got the following error:
    > --------------------------------------
    > Fatal server error:
    > Server is already active for display 0
    > If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    > and start again.
    > --------------------------------------
    >
    > I am sure I have X window running active on my remote Linux box, so there
    > can only be one X session?
    >
    > What can I do?

    You probably don't want to use "startx" for this. Instead, just start
    your x applications individually and Exceed will serve up local display
    real estate for them.

    If you want your whole X desktop, try running ~/.Xclients or
    ~/.xinitrc instead (haven't tried it myself, but it ought to work).

    Otherwise, if you have a display manager like xdm/gdm/kdm running on the
    remote machine, have Exceed connect to the remote display manager using
    XDMCP and you'll get the same login widget from the remote display manager
    as you would have if you were logging in from the console.

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  6. Re: thank you all you guys for helping me, but I still have problem

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:33:00 -0700, gino wrote:

    > That helps me a lot. But what if I want not to run GUI program, but I
    > want the X session itself, I used to use "startx" to start session, but
    > still I got the following error message:
    >
    > How do I start the GNOME session remotely? and how do I start KDE
    > session remotely, like I start xclock, etc?

    You need to have xdmcp running.

    edit: /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
    comment out the last line: DisplayManager.requestPort: 0

    edit: /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc
    find the XDMCP section
    change: Enable=true

    edit: /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
    find the XDMCP section
    change: Enable=true

    Restart the X server.

    I usually just do:
    telinit 3; telinit 5;
    (there is probably a better way)

    If you don't have a firewall blocking the ports X is using you should be
    able to create an X-session in Exceed that connects to your box and get a
    full screen X session.

    --
    i.m.

  7. Re: why cann't I startx remotely?

    "John Thompson" wrote in message
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to linux.redhat.misc.]
    > On 2004-07-14, gino wrote:
    >
    > > I started my Exceed locally and used ssh to connect to the remote side

    Linux
    > > box. I have set X tunneling to true.
    > > In the ssh session of connecting to the remote machine, I did the

    following:

    > > setenv DISPLAY xx.xx.xx.xx:0.0

    > If you have the X tunneling set up, this shouldn't be necessary, but it
    > shouldn't hurt either.
    >
    > > startx
    > >
    > > where xx.xx.xx.xx is my local PC IP address.
    > >
    > > Then I got the following error:
    > > --------------------------------------
    > > Fatal server error:
    > > Server is already active for display 0
    > > If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    > > and start again.
    > > --------------------------------------
    > >
    > > I am sure I have X window running active on my remote Linux box, so

    there
    > > can only be one X session?
    > >
    > > What can I do?

    > You probably don't want to use "startx" for this. Instead, just start
    > your x applications individually and Exceed will serve up local display
    > real estate for them.
    >
    > If you want your whole X desktop, try running ~/.Xclients or
    > ~/.xinitrc instead (haven't tried it myself, but it ought to work).

    Hi John,

    Thank you for your help. But the I don't have the above two files on my ~/
    home directory?

    And I am not a root administrator. Does that matter?

    Thanks a lot,

    -Gino

  8. Re: thank you all you guys for helping me, but I still have problem

    "Ivan Marsh" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.07.15.19.41.19.372658@you.now...
    > On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:33:00 -0700, gino wrote:
    >
    > > That helps me a lot. But what if I want not to run GUI program, but I
    > > want the X session itself, I used to use "startx" to start session, but
    > > still I got the following error message:
    > >
    > > How do I start the GNOME session remotely? and how do I start KDE
    > > session remotely, like I start xclock, etc?

    > You need to have xdmcp running.
    >
    > edit: /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
    > comment out the last line: DisplayManager.requestPort: 0
    >
    > edit: /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc
    > find the XDMCP section
    > change: Enable=true
    >
    > edit: /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
    > find the XDMCP section
    > change: Enable=true
    >
    > Restart the X server.
    >
    > I usually just do:
    > telinit 3; telinit 5;
    > (there is probably a better way)
    >
    > If you don't have a firewall blocking the ports X is using you should be
    > able to create an X-session in Exceed that connects to your box and get a
    > full screen X session.
    >
    > --
    > i.m.
    > The USA Patriot Act is the most unpatriotic act in American history.

    Thank you I.M. But I just found that those files are readonly. I am not a
    root administrator. What can I do?

    Thanks a lot,

    -Gino

  9. Re: thank you all you guys for helping me, but I still have problem

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:46:28 -0700, gino wrote:

    > "Ivan Marsh" wrote in message
    > newsan.2004.07.15.19.41.19.372658@you.now...
    >> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:33:00 -0700, gino wrote:
    >>
    >> > That helps me a lot. But what if I want not to run GUI program, but I
    >> > want the X session itself, I used to use "startx" to start session,
    >> > but still I got the following error message:
    >> >
    >> > How do I start the GNOME session remotely? and how do I start KDE
    >> > session remotely, like I start xclock, etc?

    >> You need to have xdmcp running.
    >>
    >> edit: /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config
    >> comment out the last line: DisplayManager.requestPort: 0
    >>
    >> edit: /etc/X11/xdm/kdmrc
    >> find the XDMCP section
    >> change: Enable=true
    >>
    >> edit: /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
    >> find the XDMCP section
    >> change: Enable=true
    >>
    >> Restart the X server.
    >>
    >> I usually just do:
    >> telinit 3; telinit 5;
    >> (there is probably a better way)
    >>
    >> If you don't have a firewall blocking the ports X is using you should be
    >> able to create an X-session in Exceed that connects to your box and get
    >> a full screen X session.
    >>

    > Thank you I.M. But I just found that those files are readonly. I am not a
    > root administrator. What can I do?

    You can talk to your administrator.

    That's the only way you're going to get a remote desktop X session going.

    --
    i.m.

  10. Re: thank you all you guys for helping me, but I still have problem

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:33:00 -0700, gino wrote:

    >> startx
    >>
    >> where xx.xx.xx.xx is my local PC IP address.
    >>
    >> Then I got the following error:
    >> --------------------------------------
    >> Fatal server error:
    >> Server is already active for display 0
    >> If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
    >> and start again.

    If an X server is already running on display 0, you can start another
    session by typing "startx -- :1" which will give you another session on
    display 1. You can then switch between the two with F7 and F8.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

+ Reply to Thread