How do I delete this file? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How do I delete this file? - Redhat ; There is a file in my /proc directory called "kcore". I believe it to be responsible for the sudden drop in available disk space as it is 815591424K in size. When I try to delete it, I get: rm: cannot ...

  1. How do I delete this file?

    There is a file in my /proc directory called "kcore". I believe it to be
    responsible for the sudden drop in available disk space as it is 815591424K
    in size. When I try to delete it, I get:

    rm: cannot unlink `kcore': Operation not permitted]

    What is happening please and can I safely delete this file?

    Thanks,
    Don

  2. Re: How do I delete this file?

    http://www.unixguide.net/linux/faq/04.16.shtml

    --
    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
    This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products where used in creating me!

  3. Re: How do I delete this file?

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 02:28:02 +0000, The Athiest wrote:

    > There is a file in my /proc directory called "kcore". I believe it to be
    > responsible for the sudden drop in available disk space as it is 815591424K
    > in size. When I try to delete it, I get:
    >
    > rm: cannot unlink `kcore': Operation not permitted]
    >
    > What is happening please and can I safely delete this file?

    The contents of "/proc" appear to be files, but they really are just
    figments of the kernel's imigination. "/proc/kcore" provides a
    viewing port for looking into the kernel memory. No disk space is
    used.

    Moreover, since the content of "/proc" aren't really files, ordinary
    rm(1), mv(1), rmdir(1) and chmod(1) commands won't work at all, even
    if run by root. These "/proc" contents are created, updated and
    displayed by the kernel. The kernel givith and the kernel taketh
    away.

    Cheers!

  4. Re: How do I delete this file?

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 02:28:02 +0000, The Athiest wrote:

    > There is a file in my /proc directory called "kcore". I believe it to be
    > responsible for the sudden drop in available disk space as it is 815591424K
    > in size. When I try to delete it, I get:
    >
    > rm: cannot unlink `kcore': Operation not permitted]
    >
    > What is happening please and can I safely delete this file?

    All files in /proc are virtual files. They do not reside on a disc.
    the /proc/kcore maps to your computersphysical memory, so even if you
    could delete it, it wouldn't be a nice thing to do.

  5. Re: How do I delete this file?

    Tommy Reynolds writes:

    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 02:28:02 +0000, The Athiest wrote:
    >
    > > There is a file in my /proc directory called "kcore". I believe it to be
    > > responsible for the sudden drop in available disk space as it is 815591424K
    > > in size. When I try to delete it, I get:
    > >
    > > rm: cannot unlink `kcore': Operation not permitted]
    > >
    > > What is happening please and can I safely delete this file?

    > The contents of "/proc" appear to be files, but they really are just
    > figments of the kernel's imigination. "/proc/kcore" provides a
    > viewing port for looking into the kernel memory. No disk space is
    > used.

    Plus, do you really think that you have 815,591,424K=815GB!!! of real file
    space on a single file system anyway?

+ Reply to Thread