how to share a fold with Windows XP? - Redhat

This is a discussion on how to share a fold with Windows XP? - Redhat ; Dear all, Sorrry so many questions. My PC was occupied by other people, so I was suddenly throw to a Linux machine which I am not familiar with. What is the most convinent way to share work files between my ...

  1. how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    Dear all,

    Sorrry so many questions. My PC was occupied by other people, so I was
    suddenly throw to a Linux machine which I am not familiar with.

    What is the most convinent way to share work files between my PC at
    workplace, and my Linux at workplace too, and the Windows XP machine at
    home?

    Let's say between Windows XP and RH Linux, how to share a folder?

    Thanks a lot,

    -Gino

  2. Re: how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:23:46 -0700, gino wrote:

    > Sorrry so many questions. My PC was occupied by other people, so I was
    > suddenly throw to a Linux machine which I am not familiar with.

    No problem

    > What is the most convinent way to share work files between my PC at
    > workplace, and my Linux at workplace too, and the Windows XP machine at
    > home?

    I would say, ftp would suit your needs here. Thats what I do when I visit
    friends overseas and need to access files on my home PC.

    > Let's say between Windows XP and RH Linux, how to share a folder?

    On a local network, Samba is the baby you need to set up. Linux Samba
    shares come up as windows shares on your XP machine.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

  3. Re: how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    "jafar" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.07.13.18.21.31.703991@fatcat.delicats.net. ..
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:23:46 -0700, gino wrote:
    >
    > > Sorrry so many questions. My PC was occupied by other people, so I was
    > > suddenly throw to a Linux machine which I am not familiar with.

    > No problem
    >
    > > What is the most convinent way to share work files between my PC at
    > > workplace, and my Linux at workplace too, and the Windows XP machine at
    > > home?

    > I would say, ftp would suit your needs here. Thats what I do when I visit
    > friends overseas and need to access files on my home PC.
    >
    > > Let's say between Windows XP and RH Linux, how to share a folder?

    > On a local network, Samba is the baby you need to set up. Linux Samba
    > shares come up as windows shares on your XP machine.
    >
    > --
    > Jafar Calley
    > Registered Linux User #359623
    > http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org

    Hi Jafar,

    Thank you for your help.

    But I just feel opening up a FTP port all day and all night on my home PC is
    quite riskful. If tsclient/rdesktop comes with a disk mapping utility, I
    won't ask for FTP. But still, network disk mapping and share fold are very
    easy for me. Only drag and drop is needed. Doing FTP is quite tedious.

    -Gino

  4. Re: how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:39:15 -0700, gino wrote:

    > But still, network disk mapping and share fold are very
    > easy for me. Only drag and drop is needed. Doing FTP is quite tedious.

    Running a shared folder like a Samba share over the internet is far more
    risky than a properly configured vsftp server. If you need drag & drop
    functionality, why not use Cuteftp on windows and/or gftp on Linux?
    I have ftp open all the time and nobody has breached the security so far
    although quite a few have tried and failed (no this is not an invite to
    try ). I do tend to keep well up to date and check vulnerabilities on a
    daily basis though.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623
    http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org

  5. Re: how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    If you are very concerned about security why not ssh? One can scp all files
    that are required...
    "jafar" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.07.14.15.06.47.977980@fatcat.delicats.net. ..
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:39:15 -0700, gino wrote:
    >
    > > But still, network disk mapping and share fold are very
    > > easy for me. Only drag and drop is needed. Doing FTP is quite tedious.

    > Running a shared folder like a Samba share over the internet is far more
    > risky than a properly configured vsftp server. If you need drag & drop
    > functionality, why not use Cuteftp on windows and/or gftp on Linux?
    > I have ftp open all the time and nobody has breached the security so far
    > although quite a few have tried and failed (no this is not an invite to
    > try ). I do tend to keep well up to date and check vulnerabilities on a
    > daily basis though.
    >
    > --
    > Jafar Calley
    > Registered Linux User #359623
    > http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org

  6. Re: how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:56:35 -0500, Donzilla wrote:

    > If you are very concerned about security why not ssh? One can scp all files
    > that are required...

    Good point, but gino is after a drag and drop type interface. The only way
    I know to do that is either open your box up to the net with vnc, or XDMCP
    which is certainly not desirable. The next best way is to use graphical
    ftp clients to do the job of transferring files. I've done it that way
    between France and the UK for about a year now and have not come across
    any problems apart from the slowness of the standard 512/128 ADSL
    connection when transferring large files.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623
    http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org

  7. Re: how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    jafar writes:
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:56:35 -0500, Donzilla wrote:
    >
    > > If you are very concerned about security why not ssh? One can scp all files
    > > that are required...

    > Good point, but gino is after a drag and drop type interface. The only way
    > I know to do that is either open your box up to the net with vnc, or XDMCP
    > which is certainly not desirable. The next best way is to use graphical
    > ftp clients to do the job of transferring files. I've done it that way
    > between France and the UK for about a year now and have not come across
    > any problems apart from the slowness of the standard 512/128 ADSL
    > connection when transferring large files.

    I run ssh and then when I need to do something graphical, I just
    tunnel vnc over my ssh connection. While graphics slows things down,
    it is every bit as secure as ssh (and generally more secure than
    vanilla ftp in the sense that you can use a private/public key file
    and not just a passphrase).

  8. Re: how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    "Donzilla" wrote in message
    > If you are very concerned about security why not ssh? One can scp all

    files
    > that are required...
    > "jafar" wrote in message
    > newsan.2004.07.14.15.06.47.977980@fatcat.delicats.net. ..
    > > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:39:15 -0700, gino wrote:
    > >
    > > > But still, network disk mapping and share fold are very
    > > > easy for me. Only drag and drop is needed. Doing FTP is quite

    tedious.

    > > Running a shared folder like a Samba share over the internet is far more
    > > risky than a properly configured vsftp server. If you need drag & drop
    > > functionality, why not use Cuteftp on windows and/or gftp on Linux?
    > > I have ftp open all the time and nobody has breached the security so far
    > > although quite a few have tried and failed (no this is not an invite to
    > > try ). I do tend to keep well up to date and check vulnerabilities on

    > > daily basis though.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jafar Calley
    > > Registered Linux User #359623
    > > http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org

    Hi all friends, thank you,

    Yeah I had some terrible experience with opening a FTP server on my PC. Once
    I had such a FTP port open, one day I found hackers seezed 10G of my
    harddisk to store some rubbish. The directory they made and the space they
    stole was so difficult to handle, and finally I had to reformat my harddisk
    and reinstall my whole system.

    Anyway, since I very frequently transport my files between the workplace
    Linux box and home PC, so I like the drag and drop interface to save time;
    but I am afraid of opening a port waiting all day long.

    So what do I do?

    -Gino

  9. Re: how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:52:50 -0700, gino wrote:

    > Anyway, since I very frequently transport my files between the workplace
    > Linux box and home PC, so I like the drag and drop interface to save time;
    > but I am afraid of opening a port waiting all day long.
    >
    > So what do I do?

    if you have the basic gnome infrastructure set up, try 'gftp' which has a
    clean look and allows drag and drop.

    Felmon

  10. Re: how to share a fold with Windows XP?

    On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:52:50 -0700, gino wrote:

    > Anyway, since I very frequently transport my files between the workplace
    > Linux box and home PC, so I like the drag and drop interface to save time;
    > but I am afraid of opening a port waiting all day long.
    >
    > So what do I do?

    Like I said. Keep yourself up to date with patches. Also, you could deny
    anonymous logins via ftp.
    For example. I am using vsftp as my server on FC2. in my
    /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf I have the following..

    # Allow anonymous FTP?
    anonymous_enable=NO

    I think that is the standard setting in FC2 anyway.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623
    http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org