How to set system fonts in Linux easily? - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to set system fonts in Linux easily? - Redhat ; Dear folks, What is the most easy-programming way to set the RH Linux system font to something like "Best Shape", "Best Smooth", "ClearType", etc. Is there any easy way? How to set system properties programatically? Thanks a lot, folks, -Gino...

  1. How to set system fonts in Linux easily?

    Dear folks,

    What is the most easy-programming way to set the RH Linux system font to
    something like "Best Shape", "Best Smooth", "ClearType", etc. Is there any
    easy way?

    How to set system properties programatically?

    Thanks a lot, folks,

    -Gino

  2. Re: How to set system fonts in Linux easily?

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:46:37 -0700, gino wrote:

    > Dear folks,
    >
    > What is the most easy-programming way to set the RH Linux system font to
    > something like "Best Shape", "Best Smooth", "ClearType", etc. Is there any
    > easy way?

    What version of RH Linux are you using? On both my Fedora and
    Whitebox(based on RH Enterprise) systems, there is an option in the main
    menu under Preferences/Font that will do the job.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623

  3. Re: How to set system fonts in Linux easily?

    "jafar" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.07.13.18.28.07.672654@fatcat.delicats.net. ..
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:46:37 -0700, gino wrote:
    >
    > > Dear folks,
    > >
    > > What is the most easy-programming way to set the RH Linux system font to
    > > something like "Best Shape", "Best Smooth", "ClearType", etc. Is there

    any
    > > easy way?

    > What version of RH Linux are you using? On both my Fedora and
    > Whitebox(based on RH Enterprise) systems, there is an option in the main
    > menu under Preferences/Font that will do the job.
    >
    > --
    > Jafar Calley
    > Registered Linux User #359623
    > http://fatcatftp.homelinux.org

    Hi Jafar,

    Thank you very much for your help. But I want programatical way, which means
    I need to select from my program to set the font of the system, "ClearType"
    or "NonClearType"...

    Thank you,

    -Gino

  4. Re: How to set system fonts in Linux easily?

    "gino" writes:

    >Thank you very much for your help. But I want programatical way, which means
    >I need to select from my program to set the font of the system, "ClearType"
    >or "NonClearType"...

    Gino -

    This depends on which graphical toolkit you are using. GTK2 has one
    set of API's for this, KDE has another, QT yet another and X11 still
    one more. None of them are exactly the same as the Win32 API.

    Check the documentation for the toolkit you are using.

    If you want pretty, GTK, KDE or QT will work. If you want
    a usable lightwieght network-transparent app without all the pretty bells and
    whistles, use X11R6 Athena Widgets.

    scott

    >Thank you,
    >
    >-Gino