In linux, how can I manipulate the windows? - Redhat

This is a discussion on In linux, how can I manipulate the windows? - Redhat ; Dear all, I am a windows programmer. On Windows system, I can hide, show, maximize, minimize the windows using Windows system call API? Can I do the same on Linux? I just want to do "auto-hiding" a window on Linux. ...

  1. In linux, how can I manipulate the windows?

    Dear all,

    I am a windows programmer. On Windows system, I can hide, show, maximize,
    minimize the windows using Windows system call API?

    Can I do the same on Linux? I just want to do "auto-hiding" a window on
    Linux. When the mouse move over a certain region, I want that hidden window
    to show... like the "auto-hiding" in GNOME start-bar...

    Thanks a lot,

    -Gino

  2. Re: In linux, how can I manipulate the windows?

    gino wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am a windows programmer. On Windows system, I can hide, show, maximize,
    > minimize the windows using Windows system call API?
    >
    > Can I do the same on Linux? I just want to do "auto-hiding" a window on
    > Linux. When the mouse move over a certain region, I want that hidden window
    > to show... like the "auto-hiding" in GNOME start-bar...

    The exact manner to do that depends on the toolkit involved and is not
    Linux-specific. More generally spoken, it depends on the underlying
    windowing system. In Linux, this is mostly X (X Window System). There
    exist many toolkits based upon X, and not one single windowing API ...

    In X terms, to hide/show a window you may call XMapWindow/XUnmapWindow.
    The terms "maximizing" and "minimizing" are not defined or covered by X,
    this is probably a feature of your window manager, which may have
    provisions to hide or show a window as well. Your program communicates
    to the window manager by manipulating some so-called "properties" of a
    window.

    To sense the mouse moving over a certain region (in order to show your
    auto-hiding window) without any visible effect, you may use an InputOnly
    window properly setup to catch particular mouse events. If the mouse
    enters the InputOnlx window, you show the auto-hiding window, if the
    mouse leaves the latter, you hide it. YOur widget toolkit may give you
    further assistance.

    Just my 0.02
    Herbert

+ Reply to Thread