Root disk space is beaing eaten up - Redhat

This is a discussion on Root disk space is beaing eaten up - Redhat ; Hi, I am currently up to 92% Used in the / file system. It has jumped suddenly but I don't know why. I have looked in the /tmp directory but see nothing there. How can I find where the disk ...

  1. Root disk space is beaing eaten up

    Hi,

    I am currently up to 92% Used in the / file system. It has jumped
    suddenly but I don't know why. I have looked in the /tmp directory
    but see nothing there. How can I find where the disk space is being
    eaten? My other file systems are:
    /boot
    /home
    /usr
    /var

    Thanks,
    Don

  2. Re: Root disk space is beaing eaten up

    Don wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am currently up to 92% Used in the / file system. It has jumped
    > suddenly but I don't know why. I have looked in the /tmp directory
    > but see nothing there. How can I find where the disk space is being
    > eaten? My other file systems are:
    > /boot
    > /home
    > /usr
    > /var
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don

    Try du / | sort -nr | less

    I keep /tmp in a separate partition (for me, /tmp and /var are 8GBytes
    each, because I have lots of disk space available). Since you have
    separate / and /usr, the fact that / is growing a lot is alarming. But
    with /tmp in there, that should be examined.

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 10:30:01 up 9 days, 23:26, 4 users, load average: 5.91, 5.66, 5.46

  3. Re: Root disk space is beaing eaten up

    "Don" wrote in message
    news:4e0ad5c5.0407120555.26d8205f@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am currently up to 92% Used in the / file system. It has jumped
    > suddenly but I don't know why. I have looked in the /tmp directory
    > but see nothing there. How can I find where the disk space is being
    > eaten? My other file systems are:
    > /boot
    > /home
    > /usr
    > /var

    Check out your log files in /var/log , particularly the /var/log/boot.log.*
    and /var/log/messages.* files.

    A lot of the log files can be removed or edited back down to a smaller size.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  4. Re: Root disk space is beaing eaten up

    Sandgroper wrote:
    > "Don" wrote in message
    > news:4e0ad5c5.0407120555.26d8205f@posting.google.c om...
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am currently up to 92% Used in the / file system. It has jumped
    >> suddenly but I don't know why. I have looked in the /tmp directory
    >> but see nothing there. How can I find where the disk space is being
    >> eaten? My other file systems are: /boot /home /usr /var

    > Check out your log files in /var/log , particularly the
    > /var/log/boot.log.* and /var/log/messages.* files.
    >
    > A lot of the log files can be removed or edited back down to a smaller
    > size.

    First of all, the O.P. has a separate /var partition, and it is the /
    (root) file system that is filling up, so that will not help.

    But even were the O.P. to have no separate /var partition, the logrotate
    routine would clean up the logs at least once a week (at least in Red Hat
    systems and their relatives).

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 14:35:00 up 11 days, 3:31, 4 users, load average: 4.18, 4.21, 4.18

  5. Re: Root disk space is beaing eaten up

    "Jean-David Beyer" wrote in message
    > Sandgroper wrote:
    > > "Don" wrote in message
    > > news:4e0ad5c5.0407120555.26d8205f@posting.google.c om...
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I am currently up to 92% Used in the / file system. It has jumped
    > >> suddenly but I don't know why. I have looked in the /tmp directory
    > >> but see nothing there. How can I find where the disk space is being
    > >> eaten? My other file systems are: /boot /home /usr /var

    > > Check out your log files in /var/log , particularly the
    > > /var/log/boot.log.* and /var/log/messages.* files.
    > >
    > > A lot of the log files can be removed or edited back down to a smaller
    > > size.
    > >

    > First of all, the O.P. has a separate /var partition, and it is the /
    > (root) file system that is filling up, so that will not help.
    >
    > But even were the O.P. to have no separate /var partition, the logrotate
    > routine would clean up the logs at least once a week (at least in Red Hat
    > systems and their relatives).

    Well there you go , you need to give details of your system before people
    can give you a proper answer.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  6. Re: Root disk space is beaing eaten up

    In article <10f8b3hbg6hffbf@corp.supernews.com>, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > Sandgroper wrote:
    >> "Don" wrote in message
    >> news:4e0ad5c5.0407120555.26d8205f@posting.google.c om...
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I am currently up to 92% Used in the / file system. It has jumped
    >>> suddenly but I don't know why. I have looked in the /tmp directory
    >>> but see nothing there. How can I find where the disk space is being
    >>> eaten? My other file systems are: /boot /home /usr /var

    >> Check out your log files in /var/log , particularly the
    >> /var/log/boot.log.* and /var/log/messages.* files.
    >>
    >> A lot of the log files can be removed or edited back down to a smaller
    >> size.
    >>

    > First of all, the O.P. has a separate /var partition, and it is the /
    > (root) file system that is filling up, so that will not help.
    >
    > But even were the O.P. to have no separate /var partition, the logrotate
    > routine would clean up the logs at least once a week (at least in Red Hat
    > systems and their relatives).

    Try using the "du" command - "du -mx --max-depth=1 /" will tell your
    where your disk space is being eaten up; you can walk down the file
    system from that point either by upping max-depth or specifying a
    subdirectory.

    You don't say how *big* your root system is. One of the few things that
    I can think of that would add to your root system (given separate /var and
    /usr partitions and ruling out /tmp...) is having your system update and
    install a new kernel (or set of new kernels) without removing the old ones.
    Do you have automatic updating of your system enabled? If so, you
    may want to check you kernel versions. If you have a newer kernel installed,
    but are not running it (check via uname), then reboot, and if all is
    wekk, uninstall the older kernel versions. Details depend on the
    distribution you're running (among other things)

  7. Re: Root disk space is beaing eaten up

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 03:15:19 +0800, Sandgroper wrote:

    >> > "Don" wrote in message
    >> > news:4e0ad5c5.0407120555.26d8205f@posting.google.c om...

    > Well there you go , you need to give details of your system before people
    > can give you a proper answer.

    er.. he did. He lists his other file systems in the last line of his
    original post.

    --
    Jafar Calley
    Registered Linux User #359623