anybody can write a Windows Remote Desktop client in Linux? - Redhat

This is a discussion on anybody can write a Windows Remote Desktop client in Linux? - Redhat ; Hi folks, I want to be able to remotely work on my home Windoz XP PC from my Linux workstation. I only have a Linux workstation, but sometimes I really need to access my home Windoz XP PC... I don't ...

  1. anybody can write a Windows Remote Desktop client in Linux?

    Hi folks,

    I want to be able to remotely work on my home Windoz XP PC from my Linux
    workstation. I only have a Linux workstation, but sometimes I really need to
    access my home Windoz XP PC... I don't like VNC, anybody know if there is
    any Windows Remote Desktop client on Linux? Thanks a lot,

    -Gino

  2. Re: anybody can write a Windows Remote Desktop client in Linux?

    "gino" wrote in message

    > anybody know if there is
    > any Windows Remote Desktop client on Linux?

    A quick Google would have turned up rdesktop...

    Vic.

  3. Re: anybody can write a Windows Remote Desktop client in Linux?

    Vic wrote:
    > "gino" wrote in message
    >

    >>anybody know if there is
    >>any Windows Remote Desktop client on Linux?

    > A quick Google would have turned up rdesktop...
    >
    > Vic.

    You need XP Pro on the other end though. XP Home doesn't have Remote
    Desktop.

    --
    Keith Gable
    Lead Programmer of the Ignition Project

  4. Re: anybody can write a Windows Remote Desktop client in Linux?

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:41:13 -0700, "gino" wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I want to be able to remotely work on my home Windoz XP PC from my Linux
    >workstation. I only have a Linux workstation, but sometimes I really need to
    >access my home Windoz XP PC... I don't like VNC, anybody know if there is
    >any Windows Remote Desktop client on Linux? Thanks a lot,
    >
    >-Gino

    Try rdesktop for connecting to the built-in XP remote desktop. It's
    faster than winvnc. Of course, opening up those ports to the internet
    is a security issue. Install a ssh server on the XP box and use ssh
    tunneling to access the machine securely.

    -Chris

  5. Re: anybody can write a Windows Remote Desktop client in Linux?

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:41:13 -0700, gino wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I want to be able to remotely work on my home Windoz XP PC from my Linux
    > workstation. I only have a Linux workstation, but sometimes I really need to
    > access my home Windoz XP PC... I don't like VNC, anybody know if there is
    > any Windows Remote Desktop client on Linux? Thanks a lot,
    >
    > -Gino

    There is rdesktop, and the "tsclient" frontend for it. Both comes with
    Fedora.

  6. Re: anybody can write a Windows Remote Desktop client in Linux?

    "Nils O. Selåsdal" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.07.12.01.21.40.172822@Utel.no...
    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:41:13 -0700, gino wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I want to be able to remotely work on my home Windoz XP PC from my Linux
    > > workstation. I only have a Linux workstation, but sometimes I really

    need to
    > > access my home Windoz XP PC... I don't like VNC, anybody know if there

    is
    > > any Windows Remote Desktop client on Linux? Thanks a lot,
    > >
    > > -Gino

    > There is rdesktop, and the "tsclient" frontend for it. Both comes with
    > Fedora.

    Those are good. Thank you! At least I can see and control the remote PC. But
    they do not have printer and disk mapping, that's bad...

  7. Re: anybody can write a Windows Remote Desktop client in Linux?

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:40:31 -0700, gino wrote:

    >Those are good. Thank you! At least I can see and control the remote PC. But
    >they do not have printer and disk mapping, that's bad...

    see samba, http://www.samba.org/

    peace,
    cj

    Christopher Jon Miller Drink and dance and laugh and lie
    Parallel Systems Engineer Love, the reeling midnight through
    For tomorrow we shall die!
    (But, alas, we never do.)
    -- Dorothy Parker, "The Flaw in Paganism"