simple Network Bridge? - Redhat

This is a discussion on simple Network Bridge? - Redhat ; I'm trying to setup a simple network (aka MAC?) bridge, like you can do in Windows XP. My RH 7.3 box has 2 nics, eth0 being the main connection to the lan using 10mbps BNC, and eth1 being a 100mbps ...

  1. simple Network Bridge?

    I'm trying to setup a simple network (aka MAC?) bridge, like you can do
    in Windows XP. My RH 7.3 box has 2 nics, eth0 being the main connection
    to the lan using 10mbps BNC, and eth1 being a 100mbps cat5 going to a
    hub to allow mobile computers to quickly plugin to our lan. (I realize
    BNC is rather old, and in the distant future we migth upgrade, but as it
    stands we can do so for a long time.)

    I came across a "mini" how-to, downloaded brcfg and ran ./brcfg -ena but
    that doesn't seem to do anything.

    Is ther any simple way to get this owrking. The how-to mentioned
    something about recompiling the kernel with a CONFIG BRIDGING=y, but
    I've never had to recompile it before, and am really not sure how to, so
    if this has to be done, could someone please tell me how.

    All help much abliged.

    Redhat 7.3
    Linux 2.4.20-20.7 #1 Mon Aug 18 14:56:30 EDT 2003 i686

  2. Re: simple Network Bridge?

    In <2l1ia3F6s7a9U1@uni-berlin.de> "187" writes:

    >I'm trying to setup a simple network (aka MAC?) bridge, like you can do
    >in Windows XP. My RH 7.3 box has 2 nics, eth0 being the main connection
    >to the lan using 10mbps BNC, and eth1 being a 100mbps cat5 going to a
    >hub to allow mobile computers to quickly plugin to our lan. (I realize
    >BNC is rather old, and in the distant future we migth upgrade, but as it
    >stands we can do so for a long time.)

    >I came across a "mini" how-to, downloaded brcfg and ran ./brcfg -ena but
    >that doesn't seem to do anything.

    I think you need to re-read the howto.
    The following works under FC2

    # create the bridge
    brctl addbr br0

    # add interfaces to it
    brctl addif br0 eth0
    brctl addif br0 eth1

    # bring up the bridge and interfaces
    ifconfig br0 up
    ifconfig eth0 up
    ifconfig eth1 up

    --
    ----------- Vince Skahan -------------- vince.skahan@boeing.com -----------
    The DoJ has determined that Linux has established and exploited a monopoly

+ Reply to Thread