Change Grub loader time and automatic bootup after installation - Redhat

This is a discussion on Change Grub loader time and automatic bootup after installation - Redhat ; I am new to Linux. I have tried many distros and finally settled for Fedora and Gnome as my Linux practise distro. What I liked about Mandrake and many other distros was that I could change the time for Grub ...

  1. Change Grub loader time and automatic bootup after installation

    I am new to Linux.

    I have tried many distros and finally settled for Fedora and Gnome as my
    Linux practise distro.

    What I liked about Mandrake and many other distros was that I could change
    the time for Grub to activate the chosen partition and I could start the
    distro without choosing the name and password.

    How do I go about doing it with Fedora and Grub?

    Farouk Dindar

  2. Re: Change Grub loader time and automatic bootup after installation

    "Farouk Dindar" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.07.04.15.38.08.592296@attglobal.net...
    > I am new to Linux.
    >
    > I have tried many distros and finally settled for Fedora and Gnome as my
    > Linux practise distro.
    >
    > What I liked about Mandrake and many other distros was that I could change
    > the time for Grub to activate the chosen partition and I could start the
    > distro without choosing the name and password.
    >
    > How do I go about doing it with Fedora and Grub?

    To change settings for grub , you need to edit the file /etc/grub.conf.

    To change the timeout for booting a partition , you edit the stanza
    timeout=

    To change the default boot partition edit the stanza

    default=

    The only way you can start Fedora without a username and password is if you
    change the init setting to single user mode in /etc/inittab , but if you
    want all the linux networking , then you will be stuck with logging in to
    the system.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------

  3. Re: Change Grub loader time and automatic bootup after installation

    >> How do I go about doing it with Fedora and Grub?

    >To change settings for grub , you need to edit the file /etc/grub.conf.
    >
    >To change the timeout for booting a partition , you edit the stanza
    >timeout=

    Thanks for the information

    I was successful!

    >The only way you can start Fedora without a username and password is if you
    >change the init setting to single user mode in /etc/inittab , but if you
    >want all the linux networking , then you will be stuck with logging in to
    >the system.

    I am in my Windows partition now but did succeed in changing the booting
    process via a graphical process.

    I did some googling of newsgroups to find the answer. It was quick

    Farouk Dindar

  4. Re: Change Grub loader time and automatic bootup after installation

    >>What I liked about Mandrake and many other distros was that I could change
    >>the time for Grub to activate the chosen partition and I could start the
    >>distro without choosing the name and password.

    > The only way you can start Fedora without a username and password is if you
    > change the init setting to single user mode in /etc/inittab , but if you
    > want all the linux networking , then you will be stuck with logging in to
    > the system.

    This isn't 100% right, or it isn't what the original poster wants.

    At least with gdm, one can set up 1) automatical login on startup, to
    login as a specified user at system boot up or gdm restart, or 2) timely
    login on gdm logon session, to login as a specified user whenever gdm
    login session presents. Once setup, neither of these two needs the user
    to choose username and password interatively. Probably this is what the
    original poster wants.

    I don't use kdm a lot so don't know if it supports this, but I believe
    it does.

    HTH,

    --
    Let's play my favorite game at http://www.xbill.org/