I want to move to GNOME 2.6.2 - Redhat

This is a discussion on I want to move to GNOME 2.6.2 - Redhat ; Hi, I am relatively new to Linux, but still have the basic knowledge about and can easliy perform intallation tasks either from rpm or by compiling source. Well my question is that I have red hat 9.0 which comes with ...

  1. I want to move to GNOME 2.6.2

    Hi,

    I am relatively new to Linux, but still have the basic knowledge about
    and can easliy perform intallation tasks either from rpm or by
    compiling source.

    Well my question is that I have red hat 9.0 which comes with GNOME 2.2
    and I want to use the latest Gnome which is 2.6.2, I am confused how
    to upgrade my present gnome to the latest one, please guide me.

    thanks alot.

    farooq

  2. Re: I want to move to GNOME 2.6.2

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:25:27 -0700, Farooq Karim wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am relatively new to Linux, but still have the basic knowledge about
    > and can easliy perform intallation tasks either from rpm or by
    > compiling source.
    >
    > Well my question is that I have red hat 9.0 which comes with GNOME 2.2
    > and I want to use the latest Gnome which is 2.6.2, I am confused how
    > to upgrade my present gnome to the latest one, please guide me.

    The short answer is that if you have to ask how to do this, forget about
    it.
    A longer answer is to try if you can get garnome going,
    http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/.
    Or pehaps better, upgrade to Fedora Core 2.

  3. Re: I want to move to GNOME 2.6.2

    Nils O. Selåsdal wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:25:27 -0700, Farooq Karim wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am relatively new to Linux, but still have the basic knowledge about
    > > and can easliy perform intallation tasks either from rpm or by
    > > compiling source.
    > >
    > > Well my question is that I have red hat 9.0 which comes with GNOME 2.2
    > > and I want to use the latest Gnome which is 2.6.2, I am confused how
    > > to upgrade my present gnome to the latest one, please guide me.

    > The short answer is that if you have to ask how to do this, forget about
    > it.
    > A longer answer is to try if you can get garnome going,
    > http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/.
    > Or pehaps better, upgrade to Fedora Core 2.

    So does this mean there is no way out other than upgrading... if there
    is then plz help... I want the real installation of gnome 2.6.2...
    help plz help

    thanks

  4. Re: I want to move to GNOME 2.6.2

    Farooq Karim wrote:

    > Nils O. Selåsdal wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:25:27 -0700, Farooq Karim wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I am relatively new to Linux, but still have the basic knowledge about
    >>>and can easliy perform intallation tasks either from rpm or by
    >>>compiling source.
    >>>
    >>>Well my question is that I have red hat 9.0 which comes with GNOME 2.2
    >>>and I want to use the latest Gnome which is 2.6.2, I am confused how
    >>>to upgrade my present gnome to the latest one, please guide me.

    >>The short answer is that if you have to ask how to do this, forget about
    >>it.
    >>A longer answer is to try if you can get garnome going,
    >>http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/.
    >>Or pehaps better, upgrade to Fedora Core 2.

    > So does this mean there is no way out other than upgrading... if there
    > is then plz help... I want the real installation of gnome 2.6.2...
    > help plz help
    >
    > thanks

    doesn't up2date update gnome, too?

    --