Linux dial up server - Redhat

This is a discussion on Linux dial up server - Redhat ; I would like to use this system, FC1, as a dial up server for several windows systems, 95, 98 and XP. All are connected through a switch.Any advise on the best way to do this would be appreciated. Also is ...

  1. Linux dial up server

    I would like to use this system, FC1, as a dial up server for
    several windows systems, 95, 98 and XP. All are connected through a
    switch.Any advise on the best way to do this would be appreciated.
    Also is there any way to put a virus checker on the Linux server
    for any system that would be getting e-mail through this server?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. Re: Linux dial up server

    > I would like to use this system, FC1, as a dial up server for
    > several windows systems, 95, 98 and XP. All are connected through a
    > switch.Any advise on the best way to do this would be appreciated.
    > Also is there any way to put a virus checker on the Linux server
    > for any system that would be getting e-mail through this server?
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    The howtos that you'll want to search google for are the PPP howto,
    dialup howto, and the IP-Masquerading howto. As for virus checking the
    email, there are plenty of solutions - and I'm sure that using google will
    turn them up for you. Try using the search terms "linux email virus
    scanning".

    steve

  3. Re: Linux dial up server

    In Jesse Benton wrote:

    > Also is there any way to put a virus checker on the Linux server
    > for any system that would be getting e-mail through this server?
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    pop3vscan is the transparent pop proxy I use. I tried using it with trend
    linux command line scanner but didn't know how to configure it so I use it
    with clamav instead.

    Using a transparent proxy instead of a normal proxy means that your users do
    not have to do anything special [such as give you their passwords] to use
    the proxy.

    pop3vscan was the only transparent proxy I could find.

+ Reply to Thread