File System Mounting - Redhat

This is a discussion on File System Mounting - Redhat ; Hello Gurus, I just now updated my Redhat 7.2 to 9.0 and I did a clean install. And I forgot to mount an ext2 partition that existed in 7.2 which had some of my important data. But when I try ...

  1. File System Mounting

    Hello Gurus,

    I just now updated my Redhat 7.2 to 9.0 and I did a clean
    install. And I forgot to mount an ext2 partition that existed in 7.2
    which had some of my important data. But when I try to make an entry
    in /etc/fstab as,

    /dev/hda5 /mnt/local ext2 detaults
    0 0

    And when I say mount /mnt/local i see

    [root@localhost root]# mount /mnt/local/
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda5,
    or too many mounted file systems
    [root@localhost root]#

    Can somebody tell me what am I doing wrong here. I would really
    appreciate any help in this without me having to reinstall the OS once
    again.

    And also I wanted to ask another Question if we can have multiple
    installations of Apache HTTPD server on a single Redhat 9.0 Server (
    E.g; Apache 1.3.1 httpd server and also Apache 2.0 httpd
    server-default). If I can do that, can you direct me to some resource
    which help me doing this. Thank you, really appreciate in advance.

    Thank you,

    Chow.

  2. Re: File System Mounting

    <=>
    <=> /dev/hda5 /mnt/local ext2 detaults
    <=> 0 0
    <=>
    <=> And when I say mount /mnt/local i see

    Should that not be defaults instead of detaults?

    <=> [root@localhost root]# mount /mnt/local/
    <=> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda5,
    <=> or too many mounted file systems
    <=> [root@localhost root]#

    John McIntyre

  3. Re: File System Mounting

    ["Followup-To:" header set to linux.redhat.misc.]

    On 2004-06-27, Chow wrote:

    > I just now updated my Redhat 7.2 to 9.0 and I did a clean
    > install. And I forgot to mount an ext2 partition that existed in 7.2
    > which had some of my important data. But when I try to make an entry
    > in /etc/fstab as,
    >
    > /dev/hda5 /mnt/local ext2 detaults 0 0

    ^^^^^^^^
    Shouldn't that be "defaults"? Maybe that's your problem...

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  4. Re: File System Mounting

    Chow wrote:

    > Hello Gurus,
    >
    > I just now updated my Redhat 7.2 to 9.0 and I did a clean
    > install. And I forgot to mount an ext2 partition that existed in 7.2
    > which had some of my important data. But when I try to make an entry
    > in /etc/fstab as,
    >
    > /dev/hda5 /mnt/local ext2 detaults 0 0

    ^^^^^^^^
    That should be defaults....with an f not a t

    --
    There are 10 types of people in this world
    Those that understand binary and those that don't

  5. Re: File System Mounting

    cnadella@excite.com (Chow) wrote in message news:...
    > Hello Gurus,
    >
    > I just now updated my Redhat 7.2 to 9.0 and I did a clean
    > install. And I forgot to mount an ext2 partition that existed in 7.2
    > which had some of my important data. But when I try to make an entry
    > in /etc/fstab as,
    >
    > /dev/hda5 /mnt/local ext2 detaults
    > 0 0
    >
    > And when I say mount /mnt/local i see
    >

    > [root@localhost root]# mount /mnt/local/
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda5,
    > or too many mounted file systems
    > [root@localhost root]#
    >

    > Can somebody tell me what am I doing wrong here. I would really
    > appreciate any help in this without me having to reinstall the OS once
    > again.
    >

    > And also I wanted to ask another Question if we can have multiple
    > installations of Apache HTTPD server on a single Redhat 9.0 Server (
    > E.g; Apache 1.3.1 httpd server and also Apache 2.0 httpd
    > server-default). If I can do that, can you direct me to some resource
    > which help me doing this. Thank you, really appreciate in advance.
    >

    > Thank you,
    >
    > Chow.

    About your apache question. I don't see why installing both apache 2.0
    and 1.3.1 should be any problem. You won't be able to run them on the
    same port though. Try to install them from source I would say...

+ Reply to Thread