How to install/uninstall Mozilla - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to install/uninstall Mozilla - Redhat ; Hello, I have Fedora 1.0. The default browser was Mozilla 1.4.1-17. I tried to upgrade it to Mozilla 1.8. During installation I got: Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect(): could not find handler (32) Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect(): could not find handler (33) nsNativeComponentLoader: ...

  1. How to install/uninstall Mozilla

    Hello,

    I have Fedora 1.0. The default browser was Mozilla 1.4.1-17. I tried to
    upgrade it to Mozilla 1.8. During installation I got:

    Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect(): could not find handler (32)

    Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect(): could not find handler (33)
    nsNativeComponentLoader: SelfRegisterDll(libnegotiateauth.so) Load FAILED with error: libcom_err.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost mozilla-installer]# ./mozilla-installer
    nsNativeComponentLoader: SelfRegisterDll(libnegotiateauth.so) Load FAILED with error: libcom_err.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    nsNativeComponentLoader: SelfRegisterDll(libnegotiateauth.so) Load FAILED with error: libcom_err.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    nsNativeComponentLoader: SelfRegisterDll(libnegotiateauth.so) Load FAILED with error: libcom_err.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    Now Mozilla is not working at all.
    I noticed that previous mozilla was located in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1
    while the new version went to /usr/loca/mozilla.

    Any ideas what went wrong? May be there is Win (KDE) version of
    Installer/uninstaller?

    Thanks,

    Zalek

  2. Re: How to install/uninstall Mozilla

    From the binary at mozilla.org?

    > Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect(): could not find handler (32)
    >
    > Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect(): could not find handler (33)
    > nsNativeComponentLoader: SelfRegisterDll(libnegotiateauth.so) Load FAILED with error: libcom_err.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    I don't have libcom_err.so.3 either. On the other hand, I have Mozilla 1.7,
    the latest stable version, installed and running.

    On the other hand, I *do* have /lib/libcom_err.so.2.1.
    (I too have Fedora Core1)

    > Now Mozilla is not working at all.
    > I noticed that previous mozilla was located in /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1
    > while the new version went to /usr/loca/mozilla.

    Was the original installed from RPM? Most installations from source
    or third party binaries will go (by default) into /usr/local
    while many items installed by Fedora/RedHat RPMs go to /usr.

    I had never installed the RPM version in Fedora, but immediately
    went and got the binary from mozilla.org and installed that.

    If the original was installed from RPM, trying to update it with the
    binary from mozilla.org is likely to fail. If the original was installed
    from the Fedora RPMs ... let me check ... a bunch of them, aren't there?

    mozilla-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm
    mozilla-chat-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm
    mozilla-devel-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm
    mozilla-dom-inspector-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm
    mozilla-js-debugger-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm
    mozilla-mail-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm
    mozilla-nspr-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm
    mozilla-nspr-devel-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm
    mozilla-nss-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm
    mozilla-nss-devel-1.4.1-17.i386.rpm

    try "rpm -q -l mozilla"
    to see where mozilla put the original binary (in some
    directory with "/bin/" in it the path. If it is /usr/bin/mozilla/mozilla
    for example, try the command:

    /usr/bin/mozilla/mozilla

    (or wherever it is). That should try to run the old version. How are you
    trying to run the old or new version? command line? icon? If the new
    version has changed the icons or put something found earlier in your path,
    it may block you from running the old version without specifically giving
    the directory.

    If you are going to change from the RPM version to the binary from mozilla.org,
    I would suggest uninstalling the mozilla rpms (you should find a ~/.mozilla
    directory in your $HOME, back up things there - bookmarks, etc., but it
    should not be affected by a new install - but why take chances?).

    How/where are you installing the new Mozilla? System wide (you will have to
    be root to write to system directories) or individually in each user's
    $HOME/bin? The latter will take up a lot of space.

    I installed in /bin/mozilla (I used the binary's installation to specify
    that location - just to spread the load around - /usr is on another
    partition and / has much less than /usr. Of course, with /tmp on /
    I need the extra space there).

    > Any ideas what went wrong?

    Insufficient data.

    There are possibilities ... the version you are trying to install
    first requires an upgrade of libcom_err. If you installed (or tried)
    the new version from the binary installer, everything it installs
    should be in one directory (you should be able to find that) and
    uninstalling is no more than ripping that out (and making some
    changes to configuration files). The RPM would be removed with
    rpm -e (you would probably have to put all the package names
    on the command line:

    rpm -e [each of the packages - one one line]

    or manage to figure out the order necessary due to dependencies.

    The old version is likely still there and working (I hope) or you
    can reinstall the RPMs (but it is more fun to upgrade - and
    version 1.7, the last stable, at least with just the browser,
    not the mail/news readers, is running for me).

+ Reply to Thread