telnet password problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on telnet password problem - Redhat ; On RH-E-WS-3, using the telnet server supplied, a password that contains the pound sign, '#', does not gain access. The same password works for other logins. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike....

  1. telnet password problem

    On RH-E-WS-3, using the telnet server supplied,
    a password that contains the pound sign, '#',
    does not gain access. The same password works
    for other logins. Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Mike.

  2. Re: telnet password problem

    Hi Mike,

    I'm not sure what the issue could be, but it is interesting that you are
    using telnet...have you considered using SSH instead?

    Dean.

    "Mike - EMAIL IGNORED" wrote in message
    : On RH-E-WS-3, using the telnet server supplied,
    : a password that contains the pound sign, '#',
    : does not gain access. The same password works
    : for other logins. Any suggestions?
    :
    : Thanks,
    : Mike.

  3. Re: telnet password problem

    Dean,

    Considered and rejected for the present purpose. The reasons
    are not relevant. The problem is interesting, don't you
    think? Is the '#' being rejected by modern software for
    security reasons, or are we looking at a bug?

    Mike.

    Deanjay wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > I'm not sure what the issue could be, but it is interesting that you are
    > using telnet...have you considered using SSH instead?
    >
    > Dean.
    >
    > "Mike - EMAIL IGNORED" wrote in message
    > : On RH-E-WS-3, using the telnet server supplied,
    > : a password that contains the pound sign, '#',
    > : does not gain access. The same password works
    > : for other logins. Any suggestions?
    > :
    > : Thanks,
    > : Mike.

  4. Re: telnet password problem

    > On RH-E-WS-3, using the telnet server supplied,
    > a password that contains the pound sign, '#',
    > does not gain access. The same password works
    > for other logins. Any suggestions?

    The pound "#" sign is a special key that is used on the old Unix system and
    older keyboards/terminals as the erase key if the other keys such as
    [control-H ] or backspace key doesn't work.
    It is also used to comment in scripts and as a secondary prompt symbol.

    So in effect , the pound symbol "#" is a special character that should not
    be used as a character in a password.

    The only way of using the pound symbol "#" as a literal character is to use
    the escape sequence of a backslash character "\" immediately before the
    pound symbol like \ #

    You should not use any symbol in any passwords , you should only use
    characters that are contained in regular expressions such as [0 .... 9] ,
    [a ....z] , [A.....Z] for any password character because a quite a lot of
    the symbols are used as special characters for unix / linux

    Read up on the subject of Regular Expressions.

    --
    Sandgroper

+ Reply to Thread