Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger) - Redhat ; Hello all. I am running a new installation of Linux (White Box 3.0) and I installed instant messanger from the download website. It is an RPM. I noticed the font was unreadable in the buddy list for members who were ...

  1. Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    Hello all.

    I am running a new installation of Linux (White Box 3.0) and I
    installed instant messanger from the download website. It is an RPM.

    I noticed the font was unreadable in the buddy list for members who
    were active so I thought I would uninstall and then re-install a
    different version.

    Anyway it would not let me install a lower version and when I tried to
    re-install the same version I get a message the package is already
    installed.

    The package is not installed and I have searched for the files to
    verify this.

    Any ideas what I can do to resolve. I like instant messanger as my
    sister is always online.

    Thanks in advance,
    -Dan

    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -i aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    package aim-1.5.286-1 is already installed
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#

  2. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    On 23 Jun 2004 18:21:09 -0700, a posting issued forth from Dan...
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I am running a new installation of Linux (White Box 3.0) and I
    > installed instant messanger from the download website. It is an RPM.
    >
    > I noticed the font was unreadable in the buddy list for members who
    > were active so I thought I would uninstall and then re-install a
    > different version.
    >
    > Anyway it would not let me install a lower version and when I tried to
    > re-install the same version I get a message the package is already
    > installed.
    >
    > The package is not installed and I have searched for the files to
    > verify this.
    >
    > Any ideas what I can do to resolve. I like instant messanger as my
    > sister is always online.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > -Dan
    >
    > [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -i aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    > package aim-1.5.286-1 is already installed
    > [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#

    So uninstall it:

    # rpm -e aim

    or, if that bails with errors (you didn't delete the files, did you?):

    # rpm -e --force aim

    --
    Jacob

    To email me, remove '-not-really' and '-possibly' from my email address.

  3. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    Interestingly enough, when I try to uninstall with the rpm command as
    I had already done previously I get the message the package is not
    installed.

    Jacob wrote in message news:<718092118ac5f74eb6ff57e5db25084f@news.teranews.com>...
    > On 23 Jun 2004 18:21:09 -0700, a posting issued forth from Dan...
    > > Hello all.
    > >
    > > I am running a new installation of Linux (White Box 3.0) and I
    > > installed instant messanger from the download website. It is an RPM.
    > >
    > > I noticed the font was unreadable in the buddy list for members who
    > > were active so I thought I would uninstall and then re-install a
    > > different version.
    > >
    > > Anyway it would not let me install a lower version and when I tried to
    > > re-install the same version I get a message the package is already
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > The package is not installed and I have searched for the files to
    > > verify this.
    > >
    > > Any ideas what I can do to resolve. I like instant messanger as my
    > > sister is always online.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > -Dan
    > >
    > > [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -i aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    > > package aim-1.5.286-1 is already installed
    > > [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#

    > So uninstall it:
    >
    > # rpm -e aim
    >
    > or, if that bails with errors (you didn't delete the files, did you?):
    >
    > # rpm -e --force aim

  4. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:49:18 -0700, Dan wrote:

    > Interestingly enough, when I try to uninstall with the rpm command as I
    > had already done previously I get the message the package is not
    > installed.

    Check with;
    rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n' aim

    If you output showing the rpm package is installed then remove it with
    something like; rpm -e aim-1.5.286-1 (use the info from the output above)

    If you still get an error then visit;

    http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb-2003-06/

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  5. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    On 2004-06-24, Dan wrote:

    > I am running a new installation of Linux (White Box 3.0) and I
    > installed instant messanger from the download website. It is an RPM.

    Wow. I never even knew there was an offical AIM client for linux.

    > I noticed the font was unreadable in the buddy list for members who
    > were active so I thought I would uninstall and then re-install a
    > different version.
    >
    > Anyway it would not let me install a lower version and when I tried to
    > re-install the same version I get a message the package is already
    > installed.
    >
    > The package is not installed and I have searched for the files to
    > verify this.
    >
    > Any ideas what I can do to resolve. I like instant messanger as my
    > sister is always online.

    If you can't resolve this, consider using "gaim"
    (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) instead of aim. It's much more veratile
    than aim (supports aim, yahoo, msn, jabber, zephyr, IRC, &etc). My
    daughter uses it exclusively, even on Windows, and prefers it to aim.

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  6. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:07:22 +0000, John Thompson wrote:

    > If you can't resolve this, consider using "gaim"
    > (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) instead of aim. It's much more veratile
    > than aim (supports aim, yahoo, msn, jabber, zephyr, IRC, &etc). My
    > daughter uses it exclusively, even on Windows, and prefers it to aim.

    Yahoo has blocked third-party clients again (at least some of them):

    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5245821.html

    --
    i.m.

  7. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    Great. I followed the instructions below and I will show my output
    here:

    root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -qa --queryformat
    '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n' aim
    aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -e aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    error: package aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm is not installed
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -e aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm
    error: package aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm is not installed
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#

    As you can see, this did not work. I will follow the link you listed
    and let you know the output.

    Thank you very much for your help,
    -Dan

    Lenard wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:49:18 -0700, Dan wrote:
    >
    > > Interestingly enough, when I try to uninstall with the rpm command as I
    > > had already done previously I get the message the package is not
    > > installed.

    > Check with;
    > rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n' aim
    >
    > If you output showing the rpm package is installed then remove it with
    > something like; rpm -e aim-1.5.286-1 (use the info from the output above)
    >
    > If you still get an error then visit;
    >
    > http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb-2003-06/

  8. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    Great. I followed the instructions below and I will show my output
    here:

    root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -qa --queryformat
    '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n' aim
    aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -e aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    error: package aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm is not installed
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -e aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm
    error: package aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm is not installed
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#

    As you can see, this did not work. I will follow the link you listed
    and let you know the output.

    Ok, I followed the link and performed the actions described. I then
    tried to install once again. Here are my results:

    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# cp * /root/aim/
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# cd /root/aim/
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -i aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm
    package aim-1.5.286-1 (which is newer than aim-1.5.234-1) is
    already installed
    package aim-1.5.234-1 is already installed
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -i aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    package aim-1.5.286-1 is already installed
    [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#

    As you can see this did not work. Hmmm,,,, What to do now???

    Thank you very much for your help,
    -Dan

    Lenard wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:49:18 -0700, Dan wrote:
    >
    > > Interestingly enough, when I try to uninstall with the rpm command as I
    > > had already done previously I get the message the package is not
    > > installed.

    > Check with;
    > rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n' aim
    >
    > If you output showing the rpm package is installed then remove it with
    > something like; rpm -e aim-1.5.286-1 (use the info from the output above)
    >
    > If you still get an error then visit;
    >
    > http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb-2003-06/

  9. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    On 24 Jun 2004 14:21:07 -0700, danieloconnor@dbt.net (Dan) wrote:

    >Great. I followed the instructions below and I will show my output
    >here:
    >
    >root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#
    >[root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#
    >[root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -qa --queryformat
    >'%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n' aim
    >aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    >aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm
    >[root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -e aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    >error: package aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm is not installed
    >[root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -e aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm
    >error: package aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm is not installed
    >[root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#

    For anyone else who reads this with similar intentions: When removing packages
    using the rpm command, don't include the filename extensions (although they
    should be used when installing packages).

  10. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:21:07 -0700, Dan wrote:

    > Great. I followed the instructions below and I will show my output
    > here:
    >
    > root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#
    > [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]#
    > [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -qa --queryformat
    > '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}.rpm\n' aim aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm
    > aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm
    > [root@dskdoconnorw2k aim]# rpm -e aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm error: package

    Ahhh..... Do not use the filename (aim-1.5.234-1.i386.rpm) to remove the
    package use the package name (aim) or package-
    (aim-1.5.234-1), for example;

    rpm -e aim or rpm -e aim-1.5.234-1

    Since you have two versions of the aim RPM's installed (somehow) then
    remove the one(s) you do not want using the package- like
    in the examples above.

    --
    "In short, without this exclusive franchise, called the Windows API,
    we would have been dead a long time ago." M$ Senior VP Bob Muglia '96

  11. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    Ok, I'm out of ideas. Does anyone else have any ideas to try to
    resolve this? Thank you.

    "Ivan Marsh" wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:07:22 +0000, John Thompson wrote:
    >
    > > If you can't resolve this, consider using "gaim"
    > > (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) instead of aim. It's much more veratile
    > > than aim (supports aim, yahoo, msn, jabber, zephyr, IRC, &etc). My
    > > daughter uses it exclusively, even on Windows, and prefers it to aim.

    > Yahoo has blocked third-party clients again (at least some of them):
    >
    > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5245821.html

  12. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    On 2004-06-24, Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:07:22 +0000, John Thompson wrote:
    >
    >> If you can't resolve this, consider using "gaim"
    >> (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) instead of aim. It's much more veratile
    >> than aim (supports aim, yahoo, msn, jabber, zephyr, IRC, &etc). My
    >> daughter uses it exclusively, even on Windows, and prefers it to aim.

    > Yahoo has blocked third-party clients again (at least some of them):
    >
    > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5245821.html

    It appears gaim may still work:

    http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  13. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    Have you tried "gaim" yet? http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  14. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    Hi John and thanks for your messages. I may go ahead and try gaim,
    however I understand there may be security concernes with gaim and I
    would like to research this first. Thanks John.

    John Thompson wrote in message news:...
    > On 2004-06-24, Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:07:22 +0000, John Thompson wrote:
    > >
    > >> If you can't resolve this, consider using "gaim"
    > >> (http://gaim.sourceforge.net) instead of aim. It's much more veratile
    > >> than aim (supports aim, yahoo, msn, jabber, zephyr, IRC, &etc). My
    > >> daughter uses it exclusively, even on Windows, and prefers it to aim.

    > > Yahoo has blocked third-party clients again (at least some of them):
    > >
    > > http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-5245821.html

    > It appears gaim may still work:
    >
    > http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

  15. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    On 2004-06-27, Dan wrote:

    > Hi John and thanks for your messages. I may go ahead and try gaim,
    > however I understand there may be security concernes with gaim and I
    > would like to research this first. Thanks John.

    I suspect you are more likely to have security problems with AIM, as it
    appears not to have been updated since January 2003; any IM security
    issues from the last 18 months would therefore still be a concern. Gaim
    just had a new release last week (0.79).

    The latest security issues I've been able to find for gaim date back to
    January 2004 (http://security.e-matters.de/advisories/012004.html) and
    have long been fixed. The latest releases have been bug fixes and feature
    enhancements.

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  16. Re: Can't reinstall AIM (AOL instant messanger)

    Thanks for your help John. I'll give it a try and let you know.

    -Dan

    John Thompson wrote in message news:...
    > On 2004-06-27, Dan wrote:
    >
    > > Hi John and thanks for your messages. I may go ahead and try gaim,
    > > however I understand there may be security concernes with gaim and I
    > > would like to research this first. Thanks John.

    > I suspect you are more likely to have security problems with AIM, as it
    > appears not to have been updated since January 2003; any IM security
    > issues from the last 18 months would therefore still be a concern. Gaim
    > just had a new release last week (0.79).
    >
    > The latest security issues I've been able to find for gaim date back to
    > January 2004 (http://security.e-matters.de/advisories/012004.html) and
    > have long been fixed. The latest releases have been bug fixes and feature
    > enhancements.

+ Reply to Thread