Starting up a linux class - Redhat

This is a discussion on Starting up a linux class - Redhat ; I'm trying to help a well-meaning but not all that knowledgeable professor set up a Linux networking class at my local community college. This is a definately a case of the blind leading the blind . Students would be expected ...

  1. Starting up a linux class

    I'm trying to help a well-meaning but not all that knowledgeable
    professor set up a Linux networking class at my local community
    college. This is a definately a case of the blind leading the blind
    .

    Students would be expected to install a base version of Redhat (6.0 is
    the working version right now, considering upgrading to one of the 7.x
    versions), and network 4 computers together in small groups. Then,
    there would be a router (using the LRP software) to connect those
    sub-networks into a larger class network.

    What I'm looking for is online resources to help him design the class.
    Networking "handouts" from other low-level classes, class outlines,
    etc.

    One of the biggest hurdles seems to be to work out "how much" students
    can be expected to accomplish in one semester. These will be students
    who have only ever had one other Linux class, in which the most
    complicated task was to customize the .bashrc. The majority of the
    entry Linux class is getting used to the shell environment. They're
    not folks who live/breathe linux in their home environment.

    If there were some baseline outlines we could use as reference, I
    think it would help the design of the class. I've tried hunting on
    google, but, I only find reasonably complicated classes.

    Any help pursuing this would be appreciated.

    Gwen

  2. Re: Starting up a linux class

    Gwen Morse wrote:

    Then,
    > there would be a router (using the LRP software) to connect those
    > sub-networks into a larger class network.

    FYI--

    instead of LRP, you may want to look at quagga/zebra. This app interfaces
    nicely into a Cisco or other vendor network using BGP, OSPF, etc.

    Just an FYI.

    --
    Fedora Core Linux Development Team
    Kernel: 2.6.6-1.435

  3. Re: Starting up a linux class

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:34:25 -0700, Gwen Morse wrote:

    > If there were some baseline outlines we could use as reference, I think
    > it would help the design of the class. I've tried hunting on google,
    > but, I only find reasonably complicated classes.

    Hey Gwen,

    Sounds to me like you're not so much trying to teach a Linux class as a
    network routing class using Linux as the router.

    The beauty of Linux is that *none* of the network layer in Linux is Linux
    specific.

    Beyond the specifics of getting the network interface up and the syntax of
    the route command it's all the same across all tcp/ip devices. If students
    understand the theory behind why it works it's a lot easier to make it
    work in the real world.

    You can get quite a bit of info from the folks that made the internet what
    it is today:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...c/introint.htm
    (Yes, I know some people hate the OSI model, but it makes sense to me)

    Non-system specific tutorials:
    http://tutorials.beginners.co.uk/rea.../90/id/285/p/1

    --
    i.m.

  4. Re: Starting up a linux class

    "Gwen Morse" wrote in message
    news:b32b3668.0406220834.1987808d@posting.google.c om...
    > I'm trying to help a well-meaning but not all that knowledgeable
    > professor set up a Linux networking class at my local community
    > college. This is a definately a case of the blind leading the blind
    > .
    >
    > Students would be expected to install a base version of Redhat (6.0 is
    > the working version right now, considering upgrading to one of the 7.x
    > versions), and network 4 computers together in small groups. Then,
    > there would be a router (using the LRP software) to connect those
    > sub-networks into a larger class network.
    >
    > What I'm looking for is online resources to help him design the class.
    > Networking "handouts" from other low-level classes, class outlines,
    > etc.
    >
    > One of the biggest hurdles seems to be to work out "how much" students
    > can be expected to accomplish in one semester. These will be students
    > who have only ever had one other Linux class, in which the most
    > complicated task was to customize the .bashrc. The majority of the
    > entry Linux class is getting used to the shell environment. They're
    > not folks who live/breathe linux in their home environment.
    >
    > If there were some baseline outlines we could use as reference, I
    > think it would help the design of the class. I've tried hunting on
    > google, but, I only find reasonably complicated classes.

    I have just finished a part time linux networking class at a local college
    in Perth ,Western Australia.
    In Australia , these colleges are called TAFE , Technical And Further
    Education college, and are funded by each individual state Gov.

    The classes that I did was divided up into 2 modules
    1) Install and configure a network (linux)
    2) Optimise system performance. (linux)

    The college semester runs for 19 weeks and with the above classes , the
    first one ran for 12 weeks and the last one ran for 5 weeks and then there
    was a week for the test.
    Each class was for 3 hours duration and was run once a week , there was also
    a full time class that ran for the same length of time over the semester.

    These 2 modules that I did was part of a certificate course called
    Certificate 4 of Network Management and grouped under the broader heading of
    Install Networks (linux)

    The class set -up we had was that there was 32 computers networked together
    in banks of 4 computers set-up as a workgroup and then each workgroup was
    connected to a hub that connected to the other workgroups in the class as
    well as a printer.
    The whole class network was also connected to a class server in which the
    class downloaded and installed RH 7.3 , RPMS , and other applications.

    Each individual computer was set-up with a hard disk , floppy , CDRom and a
    removable caddy/hard disk so that each student could run and use their own
    harddisk with all the individual settings that was needed for that
    individual computer hardware and also to configure RH to the students own
    ideas.

    Each removable hard disk was set up as a multi-boot system with RH 7.3 ,
    Windows 98 and Windows NT4.
    About the best versions of RH to learn on is either RH 7.1 or RH 7.3
    RH 7.1 has both types of partitioning utilities of fdisk and disk druid that
    can be used on the installation process , which is very good for learning
    how to partition a hard disk.

    Here is a link to the Tafe college that I have been studying part-time for
    quite a while.

    http://www.central.wa.edu.au/CollegePortal/default.asp

    I am fairly certain that if your community college put a formal request to
    Perth Central Tafe , they would quite possibly provide you with the required
    course outline and notes.

    If required , I can provide the email address to the class lecturer that I
    had , which I am fairly certain would be happy to provide his class notes ,
    which are very good and written in plain , simple english with step by step
    instructions.

    HTH

    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  5. Re: Starting up a linux class

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:04:47 +0800, "Sandgroper"
    wrote:

    >I am fairly certain that if your community college put a formal request to
    >Perth Central Tafe , they would quite possibly provide you with the required
    >course outline and notes.

    I'll mention this to my professor!

    >If required , I can provide the email address to the class lecturer that I
    >had , which I am fairly certain would be happy to provide his class notes ,
    >which are very good and written in plain , simple english with step by step
    >instructions.
    >
    >HTH

    This does VERY MUCH help and if you don't mind contacting me with your
    lecturer's e-mail address, I would be VERY grateful to recieve it.

    Gwen

  6. Re: Starting up a linux class

    >I have just finished a part time linux networking class at a local college
    >in Perth ,Western Australia.
    >In Australia , these colleges are called TAFE , Technical And Further
    >Education college, and are funded by each individual state Gov.

    Interesting, Cert 4 Networking @ TAFE here (Tas) uses FreeBSD..

    TAFE definately leads the way in their training.. (did the above and
    continued onto a dimploma with em, was great)

    Regards,
    Chris

  7. Re: Starting up a linux class

    ,
    > >which are very good and written in plain , simple english with step by

    step
    > >instructions.
    > >
    > >HTH

    > This does VERY MUCH help and if you don't mind contacting me with your
    > lecturer's e-mail address, I would be VERY grateful to recieve it.

    I received your email and I tried to send you a reply with the relevant
    details , but your address doesn't work .
    Please send me your unmunged email address so that I can re-send the email.

    --
    Sandgroper
    ----------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  8. Re: Starting up a linux class

    "Skeleton Man" wrote in message
    > >I have just finished a part time linux networking class at a local

    college
    > >in Perth ,Western Australia.
    > >In Australia , these colleges are called TAFE , Technical And Further
    > >Education college, and are funded by each individual state Gov.

    > Interesting, Cert 4 Networking @ TAFE here (Tas) uses FreeBSD..
    >
    > TAFE definately leads the way in their training.. (did the above and
    > continued onto a dimploma with em, was great)

    I think the way it works is that each individual state / college follows the
    national standard guide lines for the courses but includes preferences to
    some parts of the courses like software distros ...etc and whatever deals
    that they can come up with.

    For instance , with data bases , Perth Tafe uses Oracle and they have a
    special deal with Oracle so that they can sell to the students a 3 disk copy
    of Oracle for $15 ( I have Oracle 8i )

    Perth Tafe has been using RH since about 1999 from what I remember , and
    before that , from 1994 - 1999, it was using SCO System V Unix on the tafe
    network.

    FreeBSD ? .... mmmmm , that's interesting.

    Do you know that with a Tafe Cert IV you can use it to gain entry into Uni ?
    I already have a Cert IV in Information Systems and I was seriously thinking
    of going to Uni on a part time basis , but at the time I was too busy
    working so I had to forget about it.

    --
    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email