FC1 vs FC2 - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC1 vs FC2 - Redhat ; Are there major differences between FC1 and FC2 are rpms compatable? I want to install the latest version of wine on a FC2 computer but the rpms are only built for FC1....

  1. FC1 vs FC2

    Are there major differences between FC1 and FC2

    are rpms compatable?

    I want to install the latest version of wine on a FC2 computer but the rpms
    are only built for FC1.

  2. Re: FC1 vs FC2

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:00:24 +0000, Michael wrote:

    > Are there major differences between FC1 and FC2
    >
    > are rpms compatable?
    >
    > I want to install the latest version of wine on a FC2 computer but the rpms
    > are only built for FC1.

    The RPMS should be compatible. From what I understand, FC2 is
    just a bit more "bleeding edge" than FC1.

    --
    Mark J. Nenadov
    Python Byte Solutions

  3. Re: FC1 vs FC2

    Mark J. Nenadov wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:00:24 +0000, Michael wrote:
    >
    >> Are there major differences between FC1 and FC2
    >>
    >> are rpms compatable?
    >>
    >> I want to install the latest version of wine on a FC2 computer but the
    >> rpms are only built for FC1.

    > The RPMS should be compatible. From what I understand, FC2 is
    > just a bit more "bleeding edge" than FC1.
    >
    > --
    > Mark J. Nenadov
    > Python Byte Solutions
    > http://www.pythonbyte.com/

    The big difference is FC2 uses the next kernel 2.6.X and
    FC1 still used 2.4.X
    Mark

  4. Re: FC1 vs FC2

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:23:28 -0400, Mark thoughtfully wrote:

    > Mark J. Nenadov wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:00:24 +0000, Michael wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are there major differences between FC1 and FC2
    >>>
    >>> are rpms compatable?
    >>>
    >>> I want to install the latest version of wine on a FC2 computer but the
    >>> rpms are only built for FC1.

    >> The RPMS should be compatible. From what I understand, FC2 is
    >> just a bit more "bleeding edge" than FC1.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark J. Nenadov
    >> Python Byte Solutions
    >> http://www.pythonbyte.com/

    > The big difference is FC2 uses the next kernel 2.6.X and
    > FC1 still used 2.4.X
    > Mark

    Yeah? So what's the diff between kernel 2.4.x and 2.6.x aside from the
    SELinux?

  5. Re: FC1 vs FC2

    In <40d8cd6c$0$3035$61fed72c@news.rcn.com> Mark wrote:

    > Mark J. Nenadov wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:00:24 +0000, Michael wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are there major differences between FC1 and FC2
    >>>
    >>> are rpms compatable?
    >>>
    >>> I want to install the latest version of wine on a FC2 computer but the
    >>> rpms are only built for FC1.

    >> The RPMS should be compatible. From what I understand, FC2 is
    >> just a bit more "bleeding edge" than FC1.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark J. Nenadov
    >> Python Byte Solutions
    >> http://www.pythonbyte.com/

    > The big difference is FC2 uses the next kernel 2.6.X and
    > FC1 still used 2.4.X
    > Mark

    OK - I recall that is why I went to FD2 from RH9. Because kernel 2.6 has
    ALSA built in (but I still didn't get my sound card to work even though it
    is now recognised)

    I tried installing the latest wine FC1 rpm on the FC2 machine. It installed
    OK but segfaulted when I ran it.

    If anyone knoes where I can get a wine rpm for FC2 please post the location.
    I have asked in the wine newsgroup and searched the web (to the extent I
    can) but have had no luck.

    The only one I found was at

    http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/redhat.../RPMS.newrpms/

    which said it was wine-20040505 but actually installed 20040408 and would
    let me select drives during office install.

  6. Re: FC1 vs FC2

    In Michael wrote:

    > which said it was wine-20040505 but actually installed 20040408 and would
    > let me select drives during office install.

    ......would NOT let me.....

  7. Re: FC1 vs FC2

    Michael wrote:

    > I tried installing the latest wine FC1 rpm on the FC2 machine. It
    > installed OK but segfaulted when I ran it.

    Did you do it as:

    setarch i386 wine

    If I don't put in setarch, I get a segfault. If I do, it works.

    Pip

  8. Re: FC1 vs FC2

    Noi wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:23:28 -0400, Mark thoughtfully wrote:
    >
    >> Mark J. Nenadov wrote:

    >>> The RPMS should be compatible. From what I understand, FC2 is
    >>> just a bit more "bleeding edge" than FC1.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Mark J. Nenadov
    >>> Python Byte Solutions
    >>> http://www.pythonbyte.com/

    >> The big difference is FC2 uses the next kernel 2.6.X and
    >> FC1 still used 2.4.X
    >> Mark

    > Yeah? So what's the diff between kernel 2.4.x and 2.6.x aside from the
    > SELinux?

    see
    http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/po...loween-2.6.txt

    Mark

  9. Re: FC1 vs FC2

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:18:06 -0400, Mark thoughtfully wrote:

    > Noi wrote:

    >>> The big difference is FC2 uses the next kernel 2.6.X and
    >>> FC1 still used 2.4.X
    >>> Mark

    >> Yeah? So what's the diff between kernel 2.4.x and 2.6.x aside from the
    >> SELinux?

    > see
    > http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/po...loween-2.6.txt
    >
    > Mark

    Thanks. Mostly over my head but answered my question.

  10. Re: FC1 vs FC2

    In Pip wrote:

    > Michael wrote:
    >
    >> I tried installing the latest wine FC1 rpm on the FC2 machine. It
    >> installed OK but segfaulted when I ran it.

    > Did you do it as:
    >
    > setarch i386 wine
    >
    > If I don't put in setarch, I get a segfault. If I do, it works.
    >
    > Pip

    OK.. Wine no longer segfaults. Dunno why this works.

    I still have the same trouble with wine as I did before. I.e. when i try to
    install Office 97 (Upgrade) it looks for the upgrade version and when I
    stick the disk in drive a: for upgrading I cannot select it from the file
    navigation thingy.

    It used to all work first go on RH9 but doesn't like FC2.

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread