Dude, where's my GUI? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Dude, where's my GUI? - Redhat ; While trying to fix an ethernet problem, I apparently twiddled the wrong setting somewhere. Upon rebooting my system went to console login rather than the Gnome login. The various rc.d files look right, and inittab is at level 5, so ...

  1. Dude, where's my GUI?

    While trying to fix an ethernet problem, I apparently twiddled
    the wrong setting somewhere. Upon rebooting my system went to
    console login rather than the Gnome login.

    The various rc.d files look right, and inittab is at level 5,
    so I don't know why it's not giving me a happy little foot.
    Any suggestions?

    -F.

  2. Re: Dude, where's my GUI?

    Frank Nospam wrote:

    > Any suggestions?

    .... you could run 'startx' or 'gdm' to see
    if it runs 'manually'.

    check your log files for more info: 'dmesg',
    and or /var/log/messages and or var/log/XFree86.0.log
    ..
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov

  3. Re: Dude, where's my GUI?

    And what's the problem then?

    --Kevin (console cowboy)

    "Frank Nospam" wrote in message
    > While trying to fix an ethernet problem, I apparently twiddled
    > the wrong setting somewhere. Upon rebooting my system went to
    > console login rather than the Gnome login.
    >
    > The various rc.d files look right, and inittab is at level 5,
    > so I don't know why it's not giving me a happy little foot.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > -F.

+ Reply to Thread