FC2 & Firefox 0.8 problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC2 & Firefox 0.8 problem - Redhat ; Hello all, I'm having a problem with FC2 and Mozilla Firefox 0.8, hoping someone has a good idea how to fix it. I've installed Firefox in /usr/share/firefox, and it works fine when run as root. Trying to run it as ...

  1. FC2 & Firefox 0.8 problem

    Hello all,

    I'm having a problem with FC2 and Mozilla Firefox 0.8, hoping someone
    has a good idea how to fix it. I've installed Firefox in
    /usr/share/firefox, and it works fine when run as root. Trying to run it
    as a user, though, results in a quick termination, with no error message.
    Adjusting the firefox startup script to show output shows no output
    differences between running as a user and running as root, but root gets a
    firefox window and the user doesn't. All the firefox files in the firefox
    directory have been verified to be set to be executable by all users.
    Ideas?

    Scott

  2. Re: FC2 & Firefox 0.8 problem

    Get the firefox rpm from fedora.us:
    http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fed....11.2.i386.rpm

    HTH
    James

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:10:02 +0000, wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm having a problem with FC2 and Mozilla Firefox 0.8, hoping someone
    > has a good idea how to fix it. I've installed Firefox in
    > /usr/share/firefox, and it works fine when run as root. Trying to run it
    > as a user, though, results in a quick termination, with no error message.
    > Adjusting the firefox startup script to show output shows no output
    > differences between running as a user and running as root, but root gets a
    > firefox window and the user doesn't. All the firefox files in the firefox
    > directory have been verified to be set to be executable by all users.
    > Ideas?
    >
    > Scott

  3. Re: FC2 & Firefox 0.8 problem

    NsdoO(at)S.visiP.AcomM wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm having a problem with FC2 and Mozilla Firefox 0.8, hoping someone
    > has a good idea how to fix it. I've installed Firefox in
    > /usr/share/firefox, and it works fine when run as root. Trying to run it
    > as a user, though, results in a quick termination, with no error message.
    > Adjusting the firefox startup script to show output shows no output
    > differences between running as a user and running as root, but root gets a
    > firefox window and the user doesn't. All the firefox files in the firefox
    > directory have been verified to be set to be executable by all users.
    > Ideas?
    >
    > Scott

    chown . /usr/share/firefox

    --
    Fedora Core Linux Development Team
    Kernel: 2.6.6-1.427

  4. Re: FC2 & Firefox 0.8 problem

    Egress wrote:
    >> I'm having a problem with FC2 and Mozilla Firefox 0.8, hoping someone
    >> has a good idea how to fix it. I've installed Firefox in
    >> /usr/share/firefox, and it works fine when run as root. Trying to run it
    >> as a user, though, results in a quick termination, with no error message.
    >> Adjusting the firefox startup script to show output shows no output
    >> differences between running as a user and running as root, but root gets a
    >> firefox window and the user doesn't. All the firefox files in the firefox
    >> directory have been verified to be set to be executable by all users.
    >> Ideas?

    > chown . /usr/share/firefox

    Thanks to both of you for your suggestions, I'll try 'em and report
    back.

    Thanks,
    Scott

  5. Re: FC2 & Firefox 0.8 problem

    On 2004-06-14, Egress wrote:

    > NsdoO(at)S.visiP.AcomM wrote:
    >>

    > chown . /usr/share/firefox

    Maybe this:

    chown -R . /usr/share/firefox
    chmod -R a+r /usr/share/firefox

    I've seen some extensions that like to install with mode 400 or 600, which
    doesn't do users much good when they're installed by root in the
    application chrome directory.

    --

    -John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  6. Re: FC2 & Firefox 0.8 problem

    NsdoO(at)S.visiP.AcomM wrote:
    >>> I'm having a problem with FC2 and Mozilla Firefox 0.8, hoping someone
    >>> has a good idea how to fix it. I've installed Firefox in
    >>> /usr/share/firefox, and it works fine when run as root. Trying to run it
    >>> as a user, though, results in a quick termination, with no error message.
    >>> Adjusting the firefox startup script to show output shows no output
    >>> differences between running as a user and running as root, but root gets a
    >>> firefox window and the user doesn't. All the firefox files in the firefox
    >>> directory have been verified to be set to be executable by all users.
    >>> Ideas?

    >> chown . /usr/share/firefox

    > Thanks to both of you for your suggestions, I'll try 'em and report
    > back.

    Downloading the .rpm, and renaming the old .phoenix directory in the
    user's home directory, got it working. Thanks for the help!

    SCott

+ Reply to Thread