floppy booting kernel options - Redhat

This is a discussion on floppy booting kernel options - Redhat ; During installation and subsequent installed running of RH ES3, I find I have to use the boot switch "linux ide=nodma" to prevent linux from hanging whenever it tries to access my CD drive (even to play an audio CD). I ...

  1. floppy booting kernel options

    During installation and subsequent installed running of RH ES3, I
    find I have to use the boot switch "linux ide=nodma" to prevent
    linux from hanging whenever it tries to access my CD drive (even
    to play an audio CD).

    I boot from floppy. How can I automatically have this kernel
    switch invoked at every bootup? Is there some file somewhere I
    can edit to do this, or do I need to customize the kernel
    itself?

    Any alternative thoughts are welcome, of course.

    John

  2. Re: floppy booting kernel options

    Earlier, I wrote:

    > During installation and subsequent installed running of RH ES3,
    > I find I have to use the boot switch "linux ide=nodma" to
    > prevent linux from hanging whenever it tries to access my CD
    > drive (even to play an audio CD).
    >
    > I boot from floppy. How can I automatically have this kernel
    > switch invoked at every bootup? Is there some file somewhere I
    > can edit to do this, or do I need to customize the kernel
    > itself?
    >
    > Any alternative thoughts are welcome, of course.

    Answering my own question, I've found that

    mkbootdisk --kernelargs "ide=nodma"

    does the job.

    Why is that posting a question so often inspires one to look in
    the right place for an answer? I've been puzzling over this
    boot problem for over a week.

    John

+ Reply to Thread